Husqvarna 136 survived.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt93eg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Uncle has a 136, most of the time it rides around on my Dad's ATV to clear trails and what not when needed. I know most people don't like them but it has been a good saw for what it is used for. The other day they were using it, it started making a horrible noise, they shut it down. Shortly after they were spinning it over slowly and it locked up.

My Uncle took it home, pulled the muffler and found a small piece of metal in the exhaust port opening, plucked it out but then it wouldn't start. Today they were telling me about it and we all went and looked at it, found metal up in the spark plug around the base of the insulator, got that out with a pick and compressed air, it was then spinning over fine. Put plug in and it fired and ran but what the hell caused this? What went in the cylinder that shouldn't have?

Thats when we pulled the air filter and found the culprit, the screw holding the choke butterfly on the shaft GONE.

There are nicks in the piston crown and some in the head i'm sure but for this saws use will continue its service life as of now. Glad it got shut down before that screw locked it up at running RPMs.

Crazy how things happen.

If there were shavings present in the plug there’s probably more in the motor. I’d be curious how much longer it will last.

Crazy how things happen.

If there were shavings present in the plug there’s probably more in the motor. I’d be curious how much longer it will last.

Yes it is. They put the piston at BDC so the exhaust port was open and blew compressed air through the cylinder hoping to blow anything left out. Obviously not as good as pulling it apart to clean.

We will see what happens from here with it.

Yes it is. They put the piston at BDC so the exhaust port was open and blew compressed air through the cylinder hoping to blow anything left out. Obviously not as good as pulling it apart to clean.

We will see what happens from here with it.
It might not hurt to “wash” the engine out several times with mixed gas either.

Those saws are plentiful, if you want to keep using it you could pick up a 136 or 141 parts saw and have a new engine ready to go if this one croaks.

It might not hurt to “wash” the engine out several times with mixed gas either.

Those saws are plentiful, if you want to keep using it you could pick up a 136 or 141 parts saw and have a new engine ready to go if this one croaks.

Very true.

Had an 028 super that ate the choke butterfly screw in the middle of bucking cut. It did not turn out well. Stopped quite suddenly.

I had a 136 I completely abused, gave to father in law.still runs, I don't know why.

Well they are cheaper saws but must indeed be tough little buggers. We had to cut a poplar out of the way today and it ran for about 10 mins. Ran fine. Hopefully it will be ok.

It is tough to kill small saws if they are tuned properly and use enough mix oil!

That 136 runs 50:1 mix. Not what I use on my saws, I run 32:1 In mine but the 136 seems to be ok. I heard it run today and it was running clean under load and 4 stroking unloaded so it’s fine now but not sure if they typically retune in the colder temps or not. It seems to just get ran.

When I take my saws out I keep a screwdriver or spline tool in my pocket and make adjustments as needed.

Latest posts

Back