Husqvarna 162, 2x 266, 268 Frankensaw Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ca3eb2fb4a66a7fd7d46a77ccdad9194.jpg

If you look close even the blue one has bad insulation right where the yellow wire sort if twists under the black shirting them together. Other two are far worse.

Brian

Just as a note on power....

I built a 162se up and reused the old but good bearings but installed new seals.... Got a good used piston from bplust and I cleaned the badly transfer infused cylinder to be perfect.

I did a base gasket delete and let me tell ya, that closed port saw rips!!!

I sold it to a local pro firewood cutter who test ran it next to a perfect Echo CS-680 when he was trying to decide which saw to buy from me. The husky 162 outran and outcut the echo by enough difference to tell, and he couldn't bog the husky.

Anyways, not meaning to thread-jack, I am enjoying your build progress.

I have never done a gasket delete. I am a little nervous putting the 162 SE top end on the 266 SE case. Mostly the cranks look different so I am thinking to use the 162 crank in the 266 case just to make sure I don't goof the stroke up.

I also think I might as well use the 266 carburetor and air filter system as well since it doesn't have the internal blockage from the case intake adaptor.

Yeah, I just check the squish with some solder wire in 4 places by sticking it through the spark plug hole with the cylinder installed snug on the case with no sealant.

My 162se had .021 squish all around

The base gasket was .020 thick so it made a good difference.

I sparingly used yamabond 4 for sealing the base of the cylinder.

Works great and really ups the compression and brings an old saw back to life.

I am at 6000 ft so I really needed some bump in compression.

As for cranks, the stroke is the same I believe on all of them from 162 up to a 272; only the bore gets bigger for increased displacement.

How did you clean the cylinder. I have to clean some transfer off the 268. I did this on my 65 with muriatic acid and a bunch of Q tips. Worked good but takes some patience!

Who is running husqvarna 450 and what best length bar

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

By the way, you can use a hand drill and a wood dowel to hold the Emory cloth for an easy starter setup.

Slot the end just enough to allow 1/8 of an inch of your Emory cloth to hang over the end

Roll up about 18 inches of Emory cloth onto the end shaped like a cylinder...

Let it slap and softly go over the transfer with very light pressure, cutting off loaded up Emory cloth very often

I will try my corded drill it goes 2100 on high speed. I have some drill rod bar stock that is .280 diameter that I will use for the holder. I may even try permanently attaching a holder straight into the collet holder on one of my dremels. 266 cylinder has more issues but I am only going to make one 266 I think so if I screw it up no loss.

ee92bb8f67e93bbe18a6d5cf8090ecc4.jpg

ae2b75d1240987be3b5a80834754794c.jpg

Brian

Getting closer my dad had rolls of emery cloth 3 different grits 120, 320 and one in between.
45e3ba70d57c7d63de51ffef7183d1e4.jpg

Brian

So I guess I should have took some measurements before it fully disassembled these. According to the service manuals there is a tool used to set the bearing location in the case half. The tool is around $50! Does anyone have a case split that could check the bearing location relative to the case with a caliper for me? Please!

The tool I don't have is below. I assume that lip sets the depth from the outside and you just set the bearing down from the inside. So all I need to know is either that lip height or bearing to case relative measurement on the inside.

291a946e5b8869415755b41a3bb833f1.jpg

Brian

Just put the bearings on the crank first, tight to the counterwieghts. Then put the crank with bearings on it in the flywheel side half first till the bearing bottoms in the case. Then put the clutch side half on. The bearings will be in the correct location when you are done. I usually use a toaster oven and freezer to heat or cool parts as nessecary so everything just slips together.

The issue there is no ledge in the case. If I do it this way won't the crank hit the case?

Brian

Back