Husqvarna 181SE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked500R

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have the chance to grab one rather cheap. It hasn't ran in quite a while but it's in decent shape. missing some minor stuff. Some new gas and a little ether got it fired right up. She sounded like a screamer! Piston and cylinder are niiiice! I like the fact that it has 2 rings instead of 1. Anyone got info on this older Husky? Are they worth anything? I first thought it was much smaller than my 272's at first sight... but come to find out, it's an 80cc saw!:jawdrop: It's a 1983 model. I'm going to comp. test it and take some pics

Last edited:
Define "rather cheap"

i picked mine up this spring, never looked back. Mine is a bit fussy to start cold, but runs strong. STAY AWAY FROM THE ETHER! It will kill the piston and cylinder. I found a small glass bottle (think vitamins) with a dropper in the cap. I use that with some mixed gas when I haven't run mine in a while. Ether as no oil, so it is much more likely to seize it right up. Dribble just a touch of mixed fuel into the carb, and fire away.

Choke seems to be okay

I think the choke is all right. I think that I may have a really small leak in a fuel line somewhere. Makes it so that the saw loses its' prime if it sits for more than a week or so. One of these days, I will probably drop in a new gas line, once I get some other projects out of the way. Working at sister-in-laws this weekend, construction (small) job, paid in cash. That way, I can finance more CAD without raiding the official budget money.

Turns out... this saw is a freebie!! NICE!! A buddy at work said the other day... I got a saw for ya'... He gave it to me today and said it hasn't ran in years.... Etc., etc. I tested with the comp gauge and it nailed 180psi!!:jawdrop: :jawdrop: I called him to ask what he wanted for it.... He said... someone gave to him years ago and i locked it up in storage.... It's yours, My 026 does all I need! Yeah!!! I'll post pics a little later...

I have the chance to grab one rather cheap. It hasn't ran in quite a while but it's in decent shape. missing some minor stuff. Some new gas and a little ether got it fired right up. She sounded like a screamer! Piston and cylinder are niiiice! I like the fact that it has 2 rings instead of 1. Anyone got info on this older Husky? Are they worth anything? I first thought it was much smaller than my 272's at first sight... but come to find out, it's an 80cc saw!:jawdrop: It's a 1983 model. I'm going to comp. test it and take some pics

Then it is one of the first ones, but then it should have hed a single thin ring, so it probably have been rebuilt.

Last edited:
Here it is!

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

So...Does anyone have the scoop on this saw? The rings are very thin.. Has it been rebuilt or could this be factory? I would think the rebuild kits would be single ring if it was a single ring to start with...

those are the husky thin rings.

i dont know about the 181's but the husky 2100 had the option of the standard 2 thick rings or you could get the 2 thin ring piston, which also had bigger transfer windows....

thin rings are the go, only problem is finding new ones, then pistons are even harder to find.

still looks like a good saw. i would think that will all be the original piston and rings, 52mm bore.

clean it up and just always be on the look out for OEM piston and rings.

good luck.

Serg

:agree2:
Definitely a thin ring 181 piston, and definitely stock. Take care of it, it would be tough to find another piston or rings. When it burns up all you can do is put a 288 cylinder and piston on it. The 181 pistons I have seen are one thick or 2 thin ring.

Oh, and skru you for getting it for free:cry:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back