Husqvarna 2100 ..... Can A Chain Brake Be Added ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ductape

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question.... but can a chain brake be added to a 2100 :msp_confused: ? Perhaps a clutch cover off of a different, or later (2101 ??) saw would fit the 2100 ? Don't want to sound like a Nancyboy, but would always prefer a chain brake on any saw I run. Apologies if this has ever been covered here.

Thanks.

OK, just came across humelitejim's vid and his has a brake. Can anyone tell me what year the brake was added? Anyone have a clutch cover with the brake for sale?

Most of the 2100 and all the 2101xp came with a brake but the pro loggers that used these saws hated chain brakes and took them off. If you can find a clutch cover that has a brake get it, it will mount right up through the series of the saw. While mine has everything there the brake band is broken and NLA but a few people around here have them.
husky2100008.jpg

I will have to say in my opinion a brake is not needed, I have had the saw push out of the cut and try to drag me through the log but have never had the saw lift more than a few inches when encountering a kick back situation. The weight of the saw helps control kick back and never sharp enough to trip the brake, the spring on the brake handle is pretty stout. Other than having it as original equipment for the collector I see no reason for it, those old timers knew what they were doing and knew that the chain brake on the 2100-2101 saws was just lawyer added weight. Again I must state that this is my OPINION, and like a$$ holes everyone has one.

I will have to say in my opinion a brake is not needed, I have had the saw push out of the cut and try to drag me through the log but have never had the saw lift more than a few inches when encountering a kick back situation. The weight of the saw helps control kick back and never sharp enough to trip the brake, the spring on the brake handle is pretty stout. Other than having it as original equipment for the collector I see no reason for it, those old timers knew what they were doing and knew that the chain brake on the 2100-2101 saws was just lawyer added weight. Again I must state that this is my OPINION, and like a$$ holes everyone has one.

I would generaly agree but, get cut with a saw without a chainbrake out here in australia and things happen quick should workcover be involved. If you are an employee for example using a saw for whatever reason and have a seriouse accident with it, workcover by law must be notified of the incident which will automaticly be followed up by an investagation. In most cases the employer and employee will be fined for using a saw deemed unsafe.

Heres a pic of my own race MVP2100, note it has a chainbrake

Last edited:
I would generaly agree but, get cut with a saw without a chainbrake out here in australia and things happen quick should workcover be involved. If you are an employee for example using a saw for whatever reason and have a seriouse accident with it, workcover by law must be notified of the incident which will automaticly be followed up by and investagation. In most cases the employer and employee will be fined for using a saw deemed unsafe.

you are absolutely right if it were a saw at a job site or was used by anyone but the owner it would be a mandatory piece of safety equipment that would be in perfect working order. On the other hand here in the states it would be pretty rare to find a old NLA husky saw like the 2100 or 2101 in a professional setting, most of these saws were retired years ago before some government official went around checking to see if their chain brake worked. Most of these saws have made it into personal collections and a few are still cutting firewood in a semi retired state. Only a few "real" men work with these saws as most have gone the way of lighter safer models in the professional arena.

This would just be for my own firewood use. I seem to end up with some big (4' +) firewood and would like something around 100cc. Just prefer a brake if possible ..... I'll usually snap the brake on when stepping over a limb, etc. Guy locally has one for sale with no brake. If one can be added, I'd consider the saw.

As a side note...... are parts generally still available (pistons, etc) ?

you are absolutely right if it were a saw at a job site or was used by anyone but the owner it would be a mandatory piece of safety equipment that would be in perfect working order. On the other hand here in the states it would be pretty rare to find a old NLA husky saw like the 2100 or 2101 in a professional setting, most of these saws were retired years ago before some government official went around checking to see if their chain brake worked. Most of these saws have made it into personal collections and a few are still cutting firewood in a semi retired state. Only a few "real" men work with these saws as most have gone the way of lighter safer models in the professional arena.

could not agree more, mostly the 2100 is retired here as well, we do still see a few in the raceing areana, but like you said they do get used for private use.

Parts are still around but you need to look on ebay ect, you could try the different racing forums as well.

2100 parts

The most expensive part to replace and some times the hardest to find is the coil $140.00 new and $100-120.00 used. The piston's are availble after market. They are a real best of a saw, not something to take lightly. I have seen a couple of the chain brake covers on e-bay but they usually sold for close to 100.00 or so.

I would generaly agree but, get cut with a saw without a chainbrake out here in australia and things happen quick should workcover be involved. If you are an employee for example using a saw for whatever reason and have a seriouse accident with it, workcover by law must be notified of the incident which will automaticly be followed up by an investagation. In most cases the employer and employee will be fined for using a saw deemed unsafe.

201224d1317518212-dsc00086-jpg

Well you're just a delicate little thing aren't you? Bet guys in bars just walk all over you. "Gonna pick on that little guy there"...:jester:

I like the race saw. Looks like you can handle it just fine........brake or no brake. If I was that saw, I'd be aftraid to kick back...:D

The 2100 will handle 4+ wood all day long. My stock 2100 smoked my stock Stihl 066 mag in 28 inch wood. I was able to order some parts like fuel line and carb kit and most oil lines, even found new bar guides from JRed that fit perfectly. I have also found parts at small engine shops around town so they are out there.

hahaha no worries mate.

201224d1317518212-dsc00086-jpg

Well you're just a delicate little thing aren't you? Bet guys in bars just walk all over you. "Gonna pick on that little guy there"...:jester:

I like the race saw. Looks like you can handle it just fine........brake or no brake. If I was that saw, I'd be aftraid to kick back...:D

Hahahaha, I've seen Neil handle a saw and yep, he knows what he's doing :laugh:

This would just be for my own firewood use. I seem to end up with some big (4' +) firewood and would like something around 100cc. Just prefer a brake if possible ..... I'll usually snap the brake on when stepping over a limb, etc. Guy locally has one for sale with no brake. If one can be added, I'd consider the saw.

As a side note...... are parts generally still available (pistons, etc) ?

If the saw is in good shape, and a reasonable deal, then go for it. Parts may take some searching, but at least you'll have a great saw. IMO.

my 2100 was given to me for a parts saw and i allmost didnt take.it cost me about $10 dolars to get running its well used but ill grab it over other bigger saws i have. and if i had to replace it i deffinatly would. has to be my favorite saw

So....... I went to look at this saw today. Local guy has it for sale, asking $350. I'm guessing it's an early 2100, as it has no provision whatsoever for a brake. It was stone cold and started on the third or fourth pull and idled well. Someone had spray-bombed the top cover black at some point. It did have a full wrap handle. He told me he bought it off Ebay a couple years ago out of Washington state, but no longer heats with wood so he has no use for it anymore.

Is the general consensus still that a later clutch cover will bolt onto an early 2100?

Anyone want to talk me into....... or out of this saw?

Not sure why I'm hung up on the brake, but that is the only thing that kept me from bringing the saw home.

6 cubes, offer 300 cash and be happy that you will never need a bigger saw, this saw is rated up to a 60 inch bar. I got mine for 150 but put about 150 into it so 300 is not bad at all.

Back