Husqvarna 254XP HDA 35 semi fixed jet function

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

272super

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The 254xp uses the Walbro HDA 35 carb. I was curious about the operation of the semi fixed jet(kit#503 59 27 50). I've had a few of these saws not want to rev to max rpm- even with the H screw all the way in. I've got one right now that won't rev past 13,100 rpm (spec is 13,800 max) with the screw all way in. The semi fixed jet can leak and provide too much fuel to the point that the saw cannot lean out enough to rev out to max rpm. Can I plug this jet?

In the past,I have replaced this jet along with new o-ring and clip and that solved the problem but I don't really understand where the leak was coming from since the old jet/o-ring looked fine. I guess the o-ring or jet could have been worn more than the naked eye could see. With the 254xp and the Hda 35 carb, I know some have had issues with the saw not wanting to rev out because of a rich condition in the carb. How did you fix the problem? It could also be a metering lever issue I guess,but I have not had any luck with changing lever height. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my 254xp. I can screw the H screw till it bottoms and the rpms are still to low for the saw to 4stroke, runs rich. I've been thinking of trying to put the carb from my 262xp that turns 15,500 rpms on it.

If you have access to the following try a carb from a husky 257, HDA 120, or a HDA 117, or HDA 87 from a 262 or a HDA 144A from a Husqvarna 261. They should all work on the 254xp. Maybe an overnight sonic clean and oem carb kit is in order before you start experimenting on the carb for a repair. ;)

Last edited:
Back