Husqvarna 254xp or Husqvarna 55 closed port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
254 beats the 55 hands down. Even the closed port 55 was below the semi pro saws. Listed as a landowner saw in literature up here. The 254 was not overlooked up North. It was the #1 selling saw in Canada for a several years.

It is 54cc, as it has a longer stroke (34mm vs. 32). The closed port 55 is 50.9cc.

The Rancher 55 is 53.2 cc by the literature I have read.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Thus the closed port Husqvarna 55 should be the same

It seems the Husqvarna 55 closed port saw is being undervalued.................I conclude the Husqvarna 55 closed port saw runs on the heels of a 254xp just like the 254xp runs on the heels of a Husqvarna 61. So close in power that you would have to run em to know.

Last edited:
The Rancher 55 is 53.2 cc by the literature I have read.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Thus the closed port Husqvarna 55 should be the same

It seems the Husqvarna 55 closed port saw is being undervalued.................I conclude the Husqvarna 55 closed port saw runs on the heels of a 254xp just like the 254xp runs on the heels of a Husqvarna 61. So close in power that you would have to run em to know.

Wrong - the 53.2cc of the Husky 55 is with the open port 46mm top end. The closed port one really is an EPA Version, and is 45mm/50.9cc.

Now there are 46mm closed port top ends that you could fit (from the P5500/PP325), but those are about as common as hens teeth on the market. Anyway, the power output is still nowhere close to the 254xp, but closer, at about 2.6 kW/3.6 hp.

The 254xp specs actually vere uprated to 3.0 kW/4.1 hp at some point, and an independant (and German) dyno test of late production ones showed 3.1 kW/4.2 hp.
While we're on this subject.... What are the primary differences between the 254XP and the earlier 254?
Its my understanding they didn't make a 254xp until 1992 (when the new style starter and the air injection were added). Was there any power difference between the two?
Makes me wonder why the didn't use the "XP" moniker on the earlier 254's, I believe they introduced the XP marketing term right around 1986...

Wrong - the 53.2cc of the Husky 55 is with the open port 46mm top end. The closed port one really is an EPA Version, and is 45mm/50.9cc.

Now there are 46mm closed port top ends that you could fit (from the P5500/PP325), but those are about as common as hens teeth on the market. Anyway, the power output is still nowhere close to the 254xp, but closer, at about 2.6 kW/3.6 hp.

I feel good when I am wrong.......................I know then I am still able to learn something worth knowing;). So I take it then that the Husqvarna 51 is a 50.9cc top end since it has a 45 mm piston assembly just like some of the Husqvarna 55's.

While we're on this subject.... What are the primary differences between the 254XP and the earlier 254?
Its my understanding they didn't make a 254xp until 1992 (when the new style starter and the air injection were added). Was there any power difference between the two?
Makes me wonder why the didn't use the "XP" moniker on the earlier 254's, I believe they introduced the XP marketing term right around 1986...

I am sure the top ends are identical in most cases on the 254xp and the 254 but I did install a NOS 254 or 154 top end in a 254 saw some time back that had a dished piston and it had an identical NOS cylinder to the 254xp. The newer 254xp may have had a compression release but not sure on that note.
Different clutch assemblies were used on the early VS the newer saws.

I feel good when I am wrong.......................I know then I am still able to learn something worth knowing;). So I take it then that the Husqvarna 51 is a 50.9cc top end since it has a 45 mm piston assembly just like some of the Husqvarna 55's.

Yep, but the 51 has an open port 45mm top end. The early EPA ones are 48.7cc (but in this case still open port, as far as I know).

The time frame of those early EPA versions with smaller top ends was about 1998-2001, but there is some time since I looked into the details of it....

The 254 xp had air injection vs the regular 254. As far as the closed port 55 vs 254xp, the 254 will easily outclass the 55 closed port in the power department ,plus it's just built better. Not a fair fight,though the 55 is a very good saw. 4.1 hp vs 3.4 hp sounds about right to me. No 55 closed port I've run ever wanted to make me give up my 254.

I have a 154SE 254SE, and a 254XP, and the only parts that don't interchange, are the the starter housing, and the starter pulley. The XP's pulley's have a longer "metal section" the part that catches the starter pawls due to the air injection. I found that out the hard way, but you can grind them down to make them work. This is also why the housing sticks out further. But the whole starter assembly will bolt up to a SE.

I would take the 254 over the 55 any day. My only gripe is Hyway, and Meteor don't make cylinders for them, so your choice is OEM $$$$$ or take a chance on chicom. On the plus side you can change the crank, and top end and turn then into 262's. Also a ported 154/254 will put a smile on face every time you run it. :chainsawguy:

The 254 xp had air injection vs the regular 254. As far as the closed port 55 vs 254xp, the 254 will easily outclass the 55 closed port in the power department ,plus it's just built better. Not a fair fight,though the 55 is a very good saw. 4.1 hp vs 3.4 hp sounds about right to me. No 55 closed port I've run ever wanted to make me give up my 254.

Actually the first couple of years (1991-1994?) the xp did not have air injection, and the starter and cover was the same as on the 254. I believe they never were marketed as SE btw, just 254 - but many (maybe all) said 254SE on the number plate - pretty confusing....:dizzy:

IIRC there was a crank change back in the 154 early 254. Little end rod, piston pin and bearing were increased in size for later models. I'd have to go back in my SB for SN change. There is also a thin ring (1mm x 45mm) piston model in the 254. The last 254 I picked up is thin ring model. It is a real nice one Excellent LN very low hr.
Shep

IIRC there was a crank change back in the 154 early 254. Little end rod, piston pin and bearing were increased in size for later models. I'd have to go back in my SB for SN change. There is also a thin ring (1mm x 45mm) piston model in the 254. The last 254 I picked up is thin ring model. It is a real nice one Excellent LN very low hr.
Shep

I had forgotten about the thin ring version of the 254 saw. What year was your saw manufactured?

I have a couple of each, as well as a couple op55's and agree with the general consensus here that the 254 is the better saw all around.
Could say that the op55 is to the cp55, about what the cp55 is to the 254, power wise...

Actually the first couple of years (1991-1994?) the xp did not have air injection, and the starter and cover was the same as on the 254. I believe they never were marketed as SE btw, just 254 - but many (maybe all) said 254SE on the number plate - pretty confusing....:dizzy:

Here is the plate on my 1987 254. All of the 254 pre XP starter covers I have seen didn't have SE on them, just "254". So you maybe right about the marketing.

View attachment 314911

Here is the plate on my 1987 254. All of the 254 pre XP starter covers I have seen didn't have SE on them, just "254". So you maybe right about the marketing.

View attachment 314911

I actually know I am right about SE not being used in marketing - what I am not so sure about is that all the number tags said SE. :msp_wink:

I have a couple of each, as well as a couple op55's and agree with the general consensus here that the 254 is the better saw all around.
Could say that the op55 is to the cp55, about what the cp55 is to the 254, power wise...

Not really - the difference between the cp 55 and the 254xp is much larger!

Back