Husqvarna 257 clutch brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lambs

Stihl crazy after all these years
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm trying to get a Husky 257 back into service for a friend of mine, and the clutch brake lever seems to be frozen up. I could barely remove the clutch cover from the saw, but when I did get it off I noted the saw had not been cleaned in a long time under there. I have scraped out a lot of gunk and pretty liberally sprayed WD40 into the mechanism, but it will barely move and I don't see it moving the clutch band at all. I did get the saw running (needs a decomp button though) and it has stupendous compression, so it's well worth a little effort.

Any thoughts on next steps? I can keep hitting it with WD for a few days but I'm considering trying to disassemble it. I do not have a shop manual and this is the first time I've worked on a Husky, so any good advice would be great.

Thanks.

The chainbrake on an old Husky is a lot harder to reset than on a newer saw. I would clamp the cover in a vise and see if the handle would reset with a little force on it - within reason of course - you don't want to break it. I have also seen chinese handles/flags that would not reset once tripped, and all you can do is remove the handle at the pivot point and put a proper Husqvarna handle on it.

A pic or two may be helpful here.

Back