• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Husqvarna 261 to 262XP Conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Husqvarna 261 - 262 conversion.

$300.00 shipped

I don't want to get rid of my favorite saw but finances state so, my first 261 to 262XP conversion. It has some flaws and could use a bit of tweeking & tuning here and there but since i acquired it (original owner straight gassed it), i was able to save the cylinder and drop in a Meteor flat top 262 piston, all new fuel lines & carb cleaning and it fired right up! I cleaned every last nut, bolt & parts while torn down.

To be completely upfront, i recently had an issue where the built on flywheel key sheared off and it was at that point i realized it was missing the conical shaped washer between the flywheel and nut. I ordered one OEM and tried to line it up perfectly and got it close so it does run, so up to you whether you want to re-seat the flywheel, play with the timing or put a new one on. No leaks, cylinder looked great after i removed a what little aluminum that was on it. Have 1 or 2 extra Air Filters to go with it but recently replaced it anyway (all quality paper/mesh type not screening). The top cover has been painted black by previous owner and i can put up some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested. Takes a Husq small mount bar, i believe i have a 20" bar mounted running 3/8's full chisel (new bar nuts), and i will update with pics soon if any interest. Needs new fuel tank vent. Still has the 2-shoe clutch but works just as well. The muffler came ported a bit, kinda ugly job opening it up but the saw has served me very well. Not the prettiest saw, def not mint, but a great saw. Original 261 decal. Missing the "rubber to case" carb set screw cover "thingy" but i will see if one of my Husq 51 or 55 Rancher parts will fit.

[email protected]

Sell for $300.00 shipped

IMG_0289.jpg IMG_0290.jpg IMG_0408.jpg IMG_0410.jpg

BUMP $250/shipped...

Forgot to add that the chainbrake will need a little work to be operable again. Most parts are there, little metal fork type part on the top where the handle connects is broken. Forgot to mention that in the first post. That should be it but will double check everything else again to be sure...

I can check my laptop at home when i get there, or pull the muffler or carb if you'd like. I may have taken some pics while rebuilding it, if i did they'd be on my laptop if any, but i'm sure you'd be more interested in current pics.. I'll see what i can do and get back to ya asap

~Moose

Uh-oh, might not be up for sale, i pulled the muffler and i'm seeing this, it's not scored and really never seen that kinda horizontal markings before. What could cause that? It does and has been running fine but i may have to pull the top to get a better look. Anyone see this type of markings? Sorry, i posted the best pics out of the ones i took with an iphone. Gonna need a ned exhaust gasket, ripped a bit when i pulled it but i think i've got a new one laying around but thats the least of my concern at the moment... Any ideas??

EDIT: I could seem to find anymore rebuild pics. I hope i didn't transfer them to my iphone cause it got wiped out a couple months ago. I'll keep looking.

IMG_0769.jpg IMG_0772.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 16
Probably run through about 10-15 tanks of fuel since i cleaned up the cylinder and threw in a meteor flat top and caber ring. Been running fine and one of my favorite saws to use. It got some pretty big jobs done for me. I think i'm gonna put this sale on hold, maybe pull the top and see if i feel any scores or anything. Last time i put it away, like all my saws, i put a teaspoon of 2-stroke oil in the plug hole. Maybe i'm just seeing buildup but like you i've never seen that before. I def gonna pop the top after seeing this, i'll keep ya updated. I'm gonna order a gasket kit, tank vent, and a bunch of other stuff to complete the saw. I'll do a comp test before and after (if there is an after) :laugh:

Guess she's on hold for now! Unless ya want a project saw :rock:

so i wanted to bring this back to the top. Bought the saw as a project from James. It was stated in PM that it had an Mahle cylinder
Well the good news is i found a source for another jug if needed. An OEM KS jug (prefferred non-decomp) for $70& the Mahle (decomp) for $60. It's currently wearing a Mahle.
these pics show as clearly as i can that it is an AM cylinder.image_1.jpeg image_2.jpeg
Also i was told
The muffler came ported a bit, kinda ugly job opening it up
when in fact it was totally cracked, mangled and full of putty of some sort. These chunks literally fell off when i pulled the muffler cover off the front.
image_3.jpeg
I was told
Have 1 or 2 extra Air Filters to go with it
and also
Ok bud, i'll dig a little more tomorrow out in the shop to see what else i got for 261/262's that i can throw in the box for ya
and
Ill throw in all the 261-262 parts ive got, i believe ive got an 18 or 20" husq bar and a couple full chisel chains for it. An extra air filter, and i'll see what else i can dig up.
Also the pic in the ad very clearly shows a de-comp valve, the saw arrived without....
image.jpeg
I recieved no extra parts, the bar is basically junk, the cylinder is AM, no de-comp, the muffler is totally unusable. I brought these things to James' attention and gave him almost 24 hours to make it right. I offered to pay the return shipping if he would return the rest of my $, but he got indignant and refused. I cant force him to do anything but at least i can tell people that i got hosed. If i had paid $75 i would be fine but i didnt. if anyones interested ill post our PM conversation after i had some questions for James.

Another case of "im cheap cheap" (your statement) and i agreed to do whatever you'd like. I apologize that you didnt recieve a mint 262 for $125 but as you stated, you'd love to have a project parts saw. I spoke with a member on here who asked me if it was decomp, i said yes so he said it would be a Mahle. Not sure why you care about the cylinder since you acknowledged it would need a new one.

Not sure why after i said i'd work with you if thats what you'd like and the next thing you do is cry like a *****.

(MARK THESE NEXT WORDS)
No worries, i'll never sell or send a free part of any saw on here ever again so no one else will ever be dissapointed.

As you said you would eat the shipping, send it back and once i verify ever part I sent was not adjusted, switched out, borrowed, bent, broken or blemished and i will work with you. And i'll even send a box of tissues, and a tampon along with refund.

~Moose

it should be said that i sort of figured on the cylinder being garbage, based on pictures in the ad. its the fact that i was told several things that didnt pan out.

And my apologies about the decomp, i removed it to check the already determined bad jug to investigate further. I must have forgotten to put it back in. I have plenty if needed but no worries now since youre shipping back.

Yes you said compromised cylinder so you wanted it as a project saw. I did say i found a member on her that could provide both Mahle & KS jugs if needed. But i wasn't going to buy one and never said i was. I would have kept the saw if i was to fix it up like i said

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I apologise if this message never sent, i seem to have many problems with sendind or postin on AS, maybe thats why you didnt recieve it, i sent the last message 4 times, couldn't tell ya if it really sent or not...

"I said i found OEM jugs from another member on here if it needed it, never said i purchased one and put one on. If i was to do that i would have charged more or kept it. The original post was for PHO, i through in a bar that ran fine for me. I have other bars but quality costs more. Not sure what youre implying, you wanted a project saw that needed work for as cheap as possible. I netted 123$ for the saw after shipping. No offence but if you wanted a minty new saw for that price, the Poulans at Walmart are on sale oncle in a while. Im sure someone else would love to take it all for 120 just to part out"

Back