husqvarna 262xp & 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2rod511

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am new to this site and would like to get some knowledgable advise. I am in the market for a new to me saw. I currently own a husky 340 and a 55 Rancher. I am selling the Rancher in hopes of finding something a bit more ballsy. I found a 262xp and a 365 both for around the same price. 99% of my sawing is done for woodburning purposes. Thanks in advance for any help.

the 262 is rated .2hp more and is a pound+ or so lighter. i have never run a 365/372. i do have two 262's and i will tell you they are probably the perfect single-saw plan saw. they are capable of pulling a 24" bar, though a 20" is ideal if the wood will allow.

Both great saws. The 262xp would be a bit lighter and is a ripper. The 365 is a newer design and is the less cc version of the 372xp. You really would not be disappointed with either.

Both great saws. The 262xp would be a bit lighter and is a ripper. The 365 is a newer design and is the less cc version of the 372xp. You really would not be disappointed with either.

I would surely take the 262xp, out of those - but then there is the option of putting a 372xp top-end on the 365.

I currently have a 362XP modded to a 72cc, a stock 365 and 2 262's as well as some 371/372's.
It all depends on what your preferences are, the 365 is upgradable to a 72cc saw by swapping out the piston and cylinder (assuming you have the walbro carb), but is a bit heavier and slightly less power in its current 65cc form, If something bad happens to it, no need to fret as parts are very easy to get for it and likely will be for some time. The 372 class of saws are very popular and common.
The 262xp is a classic, sought after saw and if kept in good shape should go up in value, It is both lighter and has more power than a 365 although you wont be able to increase its bore size by changing out the jug. Parts are becoming somewhat scarce, as I'm restoring 2 of them and its been tough finding decent parts. Personally I like the 262's more but I probably won't use them much.
So I suppose if you want a saw that is going to get well used and tossed around a lot I'd go with a 365, but if you do only limited cutting and like to keep your saws pristine, and want all out performance for its size, then go with a 262. Both are great saws, and you can't lose with either one. ;)

Thanks for the advise so far. Both of the saws are owned by a friend of mine who logs timber for a living. I went and checked them both out this morning and the 262xp feels a great deal lighter and absolutely screams. I have to say I am leaning towards the 262. However I cut some with both and both are a tremendous upgrade from my 55 Rancher. The only drawback to the 262 is that the chain brake is missing the metal strap that wraps around the clutch (he said it probably got robbed from that saw and put on a saw that was getting used more). With what I have read on this site I am mainly concerned about finding parts to keep the 262 alive. Both saws have been used by people for making a living so both have probably seen their fair share of abuse.

I currently have a 362XP modded to a 72cc, a stock 365 and 2 262's as well as some 371/372's.
It all depends on what your preferences are, the 365 is upgradable to a 72cc saw by swapping out the piston and cylinder (assuming you have the walbro carb), but is a bit heavier and slightly less power in its current 65cc form, If something bad happens to it, no need to fret as parts are very easy to get for it and likely will be for some time. The 372 class of saws are very popular and common.
The 262xp is a classic, sought after saw and if kept in good shape should go up in value, It is both lighter and has more power than a 365 although you wont be able to increase its bore size by changing out the jug. Parts are becoming somewhat scarce, as I'm restoring 2 of them and its been tough finding decent parts. Personally I like the 262's more but I probably won't use them much.
So I suppose if you want a saw that is going to get well used and tossed around a lot I'd go with a 365, but if you do only limited cutting and like to keep your saws pristine, and want all out performance for its size, then go with a 262. Both are great saws, and you can't lose with either one. ;)

Most all the 262 parts are still available right from Husqvarna including the top cover you are looking for. I have 3 262s and have never had trouble getting anything for them.

I have no experience with the 262xp at all, heck i'd like one myself, brand new of course, but that probably aint gonna happen. I do enjoy using my 365 more than my other saws combined. Just feels right to me with a 20" bar. Part availability could also exceed the 262xp because the 262xp has been discontinued for awhile and the 365 just recently in the U.S. Like others have stated you can build the 365 up, with parts still in production. The part thing may be over rated anyway, when there time is up, just find another favorite.
REJ2

Thanks for the advise so far. Both of the saws are owned by a friend of mine who logs timber for a living. I went and checked them both out this morning and the 262xp feels a great deal lighter and absolutely screams. I have to say I am leaning towards the 262. However I cut some with both and both are a tremendous upgrade from my 55 Rancher. The only drawback to the 262 is that the chain brake is missing the metal strap that wraps around the clutch (he said it probably got robbed from that saw and put on a saw that was getting used more). With what I have read on this site I am mainly concerned about finding parts to keep the 262 alive. Both saws have been used by people for making a living so both have probably seen their fair share of abuse.

There's plenty of parts to just keep them alive. Mine are both alive as well, but I'm looking to restore one of them so its very clean, and I may use the other- but I doubt it.:rolleyes:

Most all the 262 parts are still available right from Husqvarna including the top cover you are looking for. I have 3 262s and have never had trouble getting anything for them.

Oh, I know you can get the majority of parts. Its just that I'm trying to restore a 262xp to as close to original condition as possible and all you can get for top covers are blank ones, nothing with silk screening or any decals. I presently have 2 dealers looking for either a nos cover with the silk screening or just a part number for the decal.

I ended up buying the 262xp and I am now a very happly little woodslayer. I would like to ask one more question before I let the thread die. I am the kind of guy who likes to keep my equipment looking nice and well maintained and the 262 is missing some decals. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could find some decals for my new sawdust maker.

I ended up buying the 262xp and I am now a very happly little woodslayer. I would like to ask one more question before I let the thread die. I am the kind of guy who likes to keep my equipment looking nice and well maintained and the 262 is missing some decals. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could find some decals for my new sawdust maker.

Congrats on a fine saw!

Someone will come along with decal info..

I'm having a tough time finding the decal for the top cover, as they cannot find a part number for it, some of the top covers had decals and other top covers had silk screening directly on the cover. Finding either has been near impossible so far, although the decal for the starter was easy to get, it was ordered at the dealer.

I am sorry but I have one more question. I have never had a hot rod saw like this 262 before and I have always just mixed my gas with a little measuring glass and a gallon of gas. However, now I want to get this saw to run as strong as possible and as long as possible so what oil is recommended and at what ratio does a chainsaw expert recommend I mix it. Thanks again for all the help. After I brought this saw home I went by my dads house to help him saw a little wood (he has a Stihl 034) and converted him to a husky man. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase.

stihl ultra mixed at 50:1

Don't let that 365 :clap:lay in the hands of your friend for too long if the price is right. Nice saw and it is equipped with the air injection keeping the air filter on that saw clean. 20 times longer than a standard saw Husky claims or somebody claimed??? 262 saw :clap:has a real nice air cleaner setup as well, pulls a 24" bar in hardwood like nobodies business and has a proven reputation for being a top notch saw. Have both saws mentioned above and like taking both in the bush to work/play. :chainsawguy:

I have been running my 262 on 40:1 with husky oil. Not sure why but the saw is 20 years old so I am a bit happier knowing its got a bit more lubrication.

I'm looking at a mint condition 365 at the moment, but that's because I'm infected with CAD not because I need it... but then again, so was the 357 and the 262... damn it!!! :dizzy:

Don't let that 365 :clap:lay in the hands of your friend for too long if the price is right. Nice saw and it is equipped with the air injection keeping the air filter on that saw clean. 20 times longer than a standard saw Husky claims or somebody claimed??? 262 saw :clap:has a real nice air cleaner setup as well, pulls a 24" bar in hardwood like nobodies business and has a proven reputation for being a top notch saw. Have both saws mentioned above and like taking both in the bush to work/play. :chainsawguy:

The 262xp was the first Husky with Air Injection, in 1989.

Latest posts

Back