Husqvarna 266xpg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffonks

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here's the finished saw:
20140406_152324_zpsczoybz13.jpg
20140406_152305_zpszzznkrre.jpg

It's been done for a week but I finally finished wiring the handle heaters today and they work! A new Oregon 24" B&C are due in soon. The saw rips. New bearings, seals, gaskets, Meteor piston/ring, AM magnetic pick up side of the two piece ignition and fuel hose. The carburetor was fine. Deleted base gasket, squish at .024 and 185 psi compression cold on my Mac pressure tester, 174 on my old Craftsman, I believe the Mac.

I bought it on the Trading Post a month ago, I thought I paid a little much but in the end I got my money's worth...

The heater wiring drove me nuts as it was almost completely broken and gone. I had to buy a service manual on a disk to get the route. It is: generator to 1/2 wrap handle, then to the right side of the throttle handle, out the left side of the throttle handle to the switch, switch to engine ground. I used the on/off switch ground as it was close.

When I test fired it, I let it idle to see if the heater worked as I'm not much of an electrician. But by God the handles heated up, then I flipped the switch off and they cooled. Amazing. Thank god for shrink wrap and solder....
20140330_152210_4_zpskm42aopi.jpg
20140330_152544_zps2ic0jmvd.jpg

The muffler work was done before I bought the saw. I guess it's adequate.
20140326_212113_zpsrrc8btdg.jpg
20140326_232433_zps5yelgmoe.jpg

Nice looking saw I remember it being in the tradin post and thinking I should have bought it. Glad someone did something with it. I'd love to have something with heated handles for winter sawing so I'm jealous.

slick machine! ya, heated handles would be nice, around here mostly just january, but still, spiffy!

slick machine! ya, heated handles would be nice, around here mostly just january, but still, spiffy!
Thanks Zogger. I have a 268/272 split on my bench now.... I wish I could show it to you in person. I'd like to meet you.

I'm going to take the Huskies up to Shoerfast's firewood operation this spring and run them hard. He's a couple hours from me.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

sweet saw. brings back memories of when the 2 series husky's were my work fleet. never seen an XPG model up here either. it may be just the pic but it looks like the dawg is upside down.

That saw looks very nice, Bill. My FIL has a 266SE he has owned since new. It doesn't look as nice as yours, but it cuts very well.

Send that muffler on to me and we'll make it look nicer!

Something came up last week I thought I'd share, I watched an ad on C/L for a few weeks and then I called.
Tree Service Equipment (Blackforest)

-Stihl new and used bars in all 3 sizes.
-New Oilomatic 3/8 professional chainsaw chain. 3 complete rolls in sealed boxes- 1 skip, 1 full chizzle, and 1 micro chain for smaller climbing saws.
-16'', 20'', 24'' Stihl chainsaw chain. Full chizzle and skip chain. The Stihl chains are mostly used just 1 session and re-boxed and cost $15, $20, $25 respectively.
-Husqvarna blocking saw, 38 or 44 equivalent with new 20'' bar and chain. Needs new in-tank fuel line piece $150.
-Road Master brown round toed, slip-on, calf-high boot, new in box. $35
Please call (719) 495-4927

So, finally I went to see what the heck Husqvarna he had, thinking maybe it was a 266,268, 271 or a 272....

65-6_zps9b310fc3.jpg
65-4_zpsc0b3e9ab.jpg
65-5_zps15f33170.jpg
65-3_zps8415bdf0.jpg
65-1_zpsb6023b5b.jpg

Husqvarna model 65. I told him that it was a nice saw, but I don't have room for self queens. So we talked for a while about the Black Forest fire around his place and the flood that devastated my farm, some gun talk, and about trucks. Finally I turned to leave as I was 90 miles from home and Denver rush hour was approaching.

Then he cut the price, it turned out he had $2 in his pocket.... So the vintage Husky came home with me.

It wasn't a you suck deal, but except for the missing decals the 65 is nice and complete. At my shop I put in the fattest piece of fuel tubing I had, added an old fuel filter and some 40:1 mix. The old torque monster kicked off on the fourth recoil pull. After a few minutes the carb started sucking air around the fuel hose inlet as the hose was to big for the inlet and too small to seal the tank hole. I manged to spill fuel all over the bench, LOL.

I ordered a Husky modernized fuel hose kit, a hose, grommet and filter.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with it other than clean it and make up a new chain for it....

Here's the last piece of the 266xpg story. The bar and chains came in, so I took it out to try it in the work I built it for: flood damage:
20140407_154110_zpsynnwlqo9.jpg
20140407_155909_zpsalpt8veu.jpg
20140407_153910_zpsdxxywsb2.jpg
20140407_155132_zpszi1pdkgv.jpg

The oiler works fine, I couldn't slow the 24" bar down buried in dirty Cottonwood even tuned rich. I am so pleased. Why take a new 5 cube Husky or Stihl into this filthy tangle... when I can build one for $300?

Before the flood I owned an Echo CS670 with a 27"bar, a Stihl MS360, a Stihl MS390, and an Echo CS4400. I used them to take down dead Cottonwood and knock out 8-10 cords/yr.

Now I need more powerful saws, next week my 268/272xp should be done (it's going to get ported after I get everything together and the crankcase rebuilt) and these saws plus the 261/262xp I built last winter should be all I ever need. Unless I find a 288....

Back