Husqvarna 281XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWIT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is this 281XP saw worth putting the 288 cylinder on or should I just upgrade to a newer saw? What kind of power difference is there between the 288XP with a mod muffler and a newer 395XP with a mod muffler? (saw currently runs well just want to shave some cutting time in big timber)

The 288 is one of the easiest big saws to carry for me.

It FEELS like it is POUNDS lighter than the 395 or 660.

Fred

The 288 is one of the easiest big saws to carry for me.

It FEELS like it is POUNDS lighter than the 395 or 660.

Fred

Actually, the 288 and the 660 weight pretty much the same, and the 395 is a lot heavier - but I never used any of them, so I don't know how they feel......

Last edited:
Actually, the 288 and the 660 weight pretty much the same, and the 395 is a lot heavier - but I never used any of them, so I don't know how they feel......

If they weigh the same...... Stihl designers should go to ergonomic hell because the 288 feels about the same as a 460 in my hands and it will wail all over a 460 FWIW.

Fred

The 288 is a kick-ass saw. And you wouldn't have $7-800 invested in it..

And you can rebuild it again...and again

The 288 is a kick-ass saw. And you wouldn't have $7-800 invested in it..

And you can rebuild it again...and again

The 288 is a powerhouse..it is a bit heavy, but not really for a nearly 90cc saw. I use mine for milling.. boatloads of torque. In my mind, THE big benefit of having a 281 is that when the top end is shot, you can make it into a 288.

My father has a 281 with a 288 jug and piston. It RIPS! I like it a lot. I doubt you will be sorry.

288xp

I've run 288's and 281's they do good. We have one at the mill an I was runnin' it in the log yard the other day, and it was throwing chips so hard they hurt(my file job of course), but it run pretty good. Bout like my modded 460.....my modded 385 will run rings around it...let alone..a 395 would blow it in the weeds. But they do good for their weight and size..... BTW....the 288xp at work aready has a DP muffler on it one port right behind each other....jungle muffler??:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

Just bought a 394, no replacement for displacement right!
I will be putting the 281 on ebay tommorrow.
I agree the 281 - 288 are great saws but time is money, cutting big timber in BC the faster the cut the better!
Oh and according to the manuals the 394 is only one pound heavier than the 281

Back