Husqvarna 3120 air leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300win

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am trying to work out an airleak on a 3120. It seems that the crankshaft (clutch side) about where the needle bearing for the clutch is has a small drill hole in it. This seems to be my leak! This hole is connected into the crankcase through the crankshaft.

I have just replaced the crank seals and a new top end, however a positive pressure test has air coming out from this hole where the clutch bearing would normally be.
The hole at the outboard end of the crankshaft where you may expect to be able to inject grease with the sprocket grease gun into the clutch bearing is not connected to this particular hole. It is just a short dead end hole at the end of the crankshaft. Guess is where they held it to machine it.

Thats what has got me stumped. I have only seen a reference to a brass plug from someone else that may have had this problem, but they didnt mention which end of this passage it blocked.

Take the clutch off and look at the crank. That little hole is there to lube the clutch bearing. It does not go anywhere else.

I have taken the clutch off, if i try a positive pressure test it has air coming out of the hole.

Cant find the popcorn smiley. But im intrested in whats going on. That hole should be for grease. Never seen what your talking about. Got a pic?

The seal that is on the inside needs to be replaced.

***I tried to attach the diagram to the post to show you where the seal is, and the system wont accept it. If you need the schematic send me an email address in a PM and I will forward it***

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back