Husqvarna 340/345/350 Jonsered 2141/2145/2150 Information

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used some 220 grit followed by 1000 grit, don't think I took too much off the cylinder. Thanks for giving me some direction. I'll look for a 45 mm piston, any suggestions? How does one do a vacuum test?

eBay. the 44 mm 350's were the "open port" versions & the 45's were the cylinders with the "caps" on the side. 353's also had that cylinder.

The 45mm:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/METEOR-BRAN...163?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c4da9503

The 44mm (open port cylinder) from episan.. also a good piston.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Kit-...946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27dbcfac72

I've also had good luck with golf brand pistons for the 44mm 350's

Great thread, I dunno how I missed this one.

I love my 350, it's got a flat topped 353 piston in the stock 45mm cylinder and has no guts whatsoever in the muffler, just a can with two bolt channels, a hole and the deflector. Good power, great exhaust note. I'm going to try a loop of Stihl RM yellow semi-chisel on it if I can find some, it doesn't seem to like the LPX with the .325 configuration in hardwoods...too aggressive with that many cutter heads. Might also try some BPX and compare with the Stihl chain.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems to be a bit stingy with oil in the cut. Is that normal with these saws? It does get oil to the bar and drivers, just not as much as I'm used to. After a longer cut there is usually just a slight film on the drivers and the cutters are dry.

Great thread, I dunno how I missed this one.

I love my 350, it's got a flat topped 353 piston in the stock 45mm cylinder and has no guts whatsoever in the muffler, just a can with two bolt channels, a hole and the deflector. Good power, great exhaust note. I'm going to try a loop of Stihl RM yellow semi-chisel on it if I can find some, it doesn't seem to like the LPX with the .325 configuration in hardwoods...too aggressive with that many cutter heads. Might also try some BPX and compare with the Stihl chain.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems to be a bit stingy with oil in the cut. Is that normal with these saws? It does get oil to the bar and drivers, just not as much as I'm used to. After a longer cut there is usually just a slight film on the drivers and the cutters are dry.
Sounds as if the 353 piston is the way to go. This is my "big" saw, my other is an echo cs330 with new bar and chain on the way, haven't used it in years but it started right up the other day when I gave it a pull. I do wish my chains would stay sharp longer on the 350, maybe my chain oil feed needs to be increased somehow, or it's just the nature of the narrow kerf chain type. not sure.

No prob. I'd still like to know if there are 3 variants... 44, 44.3 and 45? or just 44.3 and 45mm?

-Matt

ps, i love my 350's too... really quite handy
I don't know about size variants. The 350 has been my favorite tool. It has been reliable, very good power/weight match for what I need. I don't think I would be happier with any other saw, and so despite my time and money into this, it is well worth the effort if I can get 'er runnin again.

Sounds as if the 353 piston is the way to go. This is my "big" saw, my other is an echo cs330 with new bar and chain on the way, haven't used it in years but it started right up the other day when I gave it a pull. I do wish my chains would stay sharp longer on the 350, maybe my chain oil feed needs to be increased somehow, or it's just the nature of the narrow kerf chain type. not sure.

You should try running semi-chisel if you are cutting with full chisel and having issues with chain dulling quickly. Full chisel is aggressive but wears faster, especially in abrasive conditions like dirty wood. When I'm bucking up logs that are on the ground, I will cut them almost all the way through with good sharp chain and then either switch the chain out or grab another saw with chamfer/semi-chisel to finish the cut. Crappy safety chain is good to use for this.

Interesting. ..maybe that was why my other saw wouldn't start...I think I was using a farmtec piston 44mm on a different am cylinder ...the piston that came with the cylinder cooked because it wasn't tight enough against the base gasket....cylinder bolts too long....I figured the cylinder was toast but maybe not...44.3 meteor ordered.....we'll see what happens!

Interesting. ..maybe that was why my other saw wouldn't start...I think I was using a farmtec piston 44mm on a different am cylinder ...the piston that came with the cylinder cooked because it wasn't tight enough against the base gasket....cylinder bolts too long....I figured the cylinder was toast but maybe not...44.3 meteor ordered.....we'll see what happens!

Another thing about these Husky 350s is the base adapter to plastic case mating surface is not machined flat, so it's a leak just waiting to happen! I sandpaper the adapter and file the plastic just enough to make them flat. I also am using 3 bond sealer now, which I think is much better than Yamabond.

The adjustable oiler on the equivalent Jonsered CS2150 in our possession delivers a wealth of oil. At least for the 13" 0.058" bar we are using. Be sure that the bar is sufficiently clean on both sides in the area with the two mounting holes, that's a tip I got from our Husqvarna dealer.

I'm religious about cleaning the bar rail and oil inlet holes. The oiler just doesn't want to put a lot of oil to the bar, even set at max flow.

I'm religious about cleaning the bar rail and oil inlet holes. The oiler just doesn't want to put a lot of oil to the bar, even set at max flow.
Could simply be that parts in the oiler are blocked or wore out.

Anyway, if you have a rim and drum on there - take a close look at the oiler gear - it isn't a 100% fit, and may wear faster than normal....

You should try running semi-chisel if you are cutting with full chisel and having issues with chain dulling quickly. Full chisel is aggressive but wears faster, especially in abrasive conditions like dirty wood. When I'm bucking up logs that are on the ground, I will cut them almost all the way through with good sharp chain and then either switch the chain out or grab another saw with chamfer/semi-chisel to finish the cut. Crappy safety chain is good to use for this.
thanks for the info on chains, I certainly have plenty to learn about chains and that tidbit might do me a world of good.

Latest posts

Back