Husqvarna 350 v new 445

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor67

Reaction score
Hi all. I currently have a Husky 350 that now won't start. I was out of 2 stroke oil and used bar and chain oil in the mix, so it may be that the piston and cylinder are toast. It ran fine on one tank, but died on the 2nd. It's also possible that I had water in the gas.

I was checking out new saws, and was told that the Husqvarna 445 is a more powerful saw than the 350 due to its engine design, even though it's a smaller engine. Is this possible?

Second question is if I did toast the 350, and decide to fix it, can I use non-husqvarna parts? I've seen "Golf" brand parts on E-Bay, but I know nothing about them. Any good? Genuine Husky parts make the saw not worth fixing.

BTW - I need the saw to cut about 6 cords of wood per year, and right now, I have 5 large trees to cut up.

Thanks, and great forum!

Last edited:
welcome to the site

. I was out of 2 stroke oil and used bar and chain oil in the mix

christ! yup, that might have something to do with it...:bang:

the new husky home-owner saws are dogs compared to what they replaced...

try an aftermarket kit from baileys... those who use them seem to have good results

good luck :cheers:

That reminds me of the time I was doing an oil change on my car, but realized I only had 1 quart of oil left...after I drained the engine.

The car requires 5 quarts of oil. So I took a $hit in the oil fill hole and then pi$$ed down the dipstick tube. Car made it two blocks and died. That day I learned that engines don't last long when you put $hit in 'em and run the pi$$ out of 'em. Imagine that.

Hi all. I currently have a Husky 350 that now won't start. I was out of 2 stroke oil and used bar and chain oil in the mix, so it may be that the piston and cylinder are toast. It ran fine on one tank, but died on the 2nd. It's also possible that I had water in the gas.

I was checking out new saws, and was told that the Husqvarna 445 is a more powerful saw than the 350 due to its engine design, even though it's a smaller engine. Is this possible?

Second question is if I did toast the 350, and decide to fix it, can I use non-husqvarna parts? I've seen "Golf" brand parts on E-Bay, but I know nothing about them. Any good? Genuine Husky parts make the saw not worth fixing.

BTW - I need the saw to cut about 6 cords of wood per year, and right now, I have 5 large trees to cut up.

Thanks, and great forum!

Either find a new 350 or rebuild the motor. Even straight 30weight motor oil mixed with gasoline would've been kinder to your motor than bar oil. Tacky oil doesn't work too well with rings. Seriously, just get another 350 if you don't want to rebuild one. The "new" 445/450 series weigh more, run hotter due to catalysts, and even come with both handles plastic. The tool-less chain adjustment too adds weight and less durability.

A- The 350 was replaced by the 450. The 445 replaced the 345.

B- They are not pigs, and have quite a bit of torque, and outcut the saws they replace.

C- Like all new stuff, they are cold blooded when starting. With this new stuff. it's best to leave the saw run on fast idle for 10 0r 15 seconds, and then hit the trigger.

D- Bar oil in the mix? You would fit in well with the people that we've had coming in here today. :clap:

I was out of 2 stroke oil and used bar and chain oil in the mix, so it may be that the piston and cylinder are toast. It ran fine on one tank, but died on the 2nd. It's also possible that I had water in the gas.
:monkey: :jawdrop:

I'm suprised it ran through a whole tank with that mix. I would have to agree with tbuggle. Try some fresh mixed fuel with chainsaw 2 stroke oil perferably stihl or husqvarna oil MADE for chainsaws and a new plug and see if it runs. Might also be a good idea to flush out your gas can and your gas tank on your saw before you put fresh mix in.

That reminds me of the time I was doing an oil change on my car, but realized I only had 1 quart of oil left...after I drained the engine.

The car requires 5 quarts of oil. So I took a $hit in the oil fill hole and then pi$$ed down the dipstick tube. Car made it two blocks and died. That day I learned that engines don't last long when you put $hit in 'em and run the pi$$ out of 'em. Imagine that.

Dam that's funny!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the good laugh. If it wasn't so long I'd put that in my signature. :clap: :clap: :clap:

A- The 350 was replaced by the 450. The 445 replaced the 345.

B- They are not pigs, and have quite a bit of torque, and outcut the saws they replace.

C- Like all new stuff, they are cold blooded when starting. With this new stuff. it's best to leave the saw run on fast idle for 10 0r 15 seconds, and then hit the trigger.

D- Bar oil in the mix? You would fit in well with the people that we've had coming in here today. :clap:

There you have it folks. This guy is a Husky dealer and has first hand knowledge of these saws and how they really perform-you can't just go by published specs!

LMAO!

:popcorn:

Clean out the tank and can as suggested, clean out the carb, new fuel filter, etc.... The fuel system may just be fouled with bar oil. You would probably have been better off with water in the gas.:dizzy:

trolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllls

nobody can be that stupid

2 stroke bar oil mix

Thor don't let these guys get to you, you didn't run straight gas just inappropriate mix. Clean it out, fresh mix, clean plug, prolly run again and give you good service. Bar oil just a little sticky.

Thank You! :clap:

Hey guys, I was looking for reviews on the Husky 350 and found a really top-notch site that seems to know everything about chainsaws! From a "pro chainsaw" website-"The original Husqvarna 350 chainsaw was a vertical plate saw that had a wood-powered muffler. A shaft from these 350 Husqvarna chainsaws was attached to the top of the chainsaw’s motor housing, powered by a push-button. Muzzle power could be turned on and off using a crank handle. When the chain drive is muzzled, the cutting power in the saw could be increased by pumping in more oil or grease through the muffler’s port. The second model used a chain-driven chain and had no muffler. Instead of a crank handle, you had to turn a handle with your foot. The second version’s power source was a chain wheel and the same process for changing out oil as for changing out the exhaust. You could increase or decrease the chain’s speed and cut more material with the same machine."
Good advice, huh? I needed the comic relief!

Back