Husqvarna 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scandy14

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anybody running a 353? I have two, one that is stock and one that I put a OEM 346XP top end on, modded the muffler and did a base gasket delete. I am really impressed by these saws. Light and powerful. I run a 16" .325" on mine.

I would be interested in hearing others comments about the saws.

Scandy, we have a lot in common. I have two that are tagged 353, one that is stock with 145# compression and one that I put a NON- OEM 346XP top end on, modded the muffler and did a base gasket delete. I am really impressed by these saws. Light and powerful. I run a 16" .325" on mine. Not your grandpa's 55. (But I like the 55s too.)

I took that 353 I got from you with scored topend and rebuilt it using same scored parts, just cleaned up to show people that they dont need to be perfect.
It was a test bed saw for a thread on Chainsaw Repair and it is still going strong the guy using it wont even let me pull it down yet for a new piston I have on hand. Yes it still runs that good.

So how many years have I had that saw? I would have to go dig up the rebuild thread to see.

Oh he runs 16" 325 on it because it likes the lighter weight of the set up over the 3/8 16" I like.

I like the 55s too and have a couple of them. One is a closed port which I am in the process of building.

Scandy, we have a lot in common. I have two that are tagged 353, one that is stock with 145# compression and one that I put a NON- OEM 346XP top end on, modded the muffler and did a base gasket delete. I am really impressed by these saws. Light and powerful. I run a 16" .325" on mine. Not your grandpa's 55. (But I like the 55s too.)

Only thing I had to do with that 353 was put new oiler lines in it after a year or 2. Had got to where it wasnt holding the oil anymore and would set and pizz everywhere. Think I showed that fix in the same thread.

Have mine since 2011. My one and only saw for most of the time. And I cut down 50 m3 a year on average. I only swapped the breakhandle twice now. But that is not the saws fault. I also break when a 30cm poplar branch falls on me from 30 meter high. Really great saw. It now has the help from a Dolkita 7910. Wich makes its life a lot easier.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Anybody running a 353? I have two, one that is stock and one that I put a OEM 346XP top end on, modded the muffler and did a base gasket delete. I am really impressed by these saws. Light and powerful. I run a 16" .325" on mine.

I would be interested in hearing others comments about the saws.
I bought mine last year after I used a friend's Husky 353 and serviced it. Terrific saw. It ran a little lean and paused on acceleration when I first started it. I fixed that by opening up the lo-speed carb setting half a turn.

Then I was so impressed with the saw that I bought a Husky 350 at an auction that runs perfectly. I'll never sell either one. These saws have about the same power as a Stihl 028 Wood Boss but weigh a pound or so less, about the same weight as my Stihl 026 PRO.

One remarkable feature that seldom gets mentioned is the terrific fuel economy. These saws are fuel misers.

My Dad has a nice little 353 that he got from a buddy's pawn shop for fixing some of their equipment in trade.

He has since retired his old craftsman/poulan 3400's and now uses the 353 and Shindaiwa 377 as his main saws. He really needs a 70cc, but is too cheap to get one, so I may send him the next good runner that is not a looker....

I have a Jonsered 2149 that is next to perfect, and is going to get an OEM 346 NE top end once I have had the time to port it a little and do the carb mod to the zama. Heck, the saw runs great, but I am greedy for more power, especially at my 6,000ft+ elevation and weaker power.

This platform may be the best ever, IMO. Besides for the plastic intake clamp issue these saws are good performers, reliable and easy to work on. You would be hard pressed to find a better lightweight firewood or limbing saw. The closest competetor is probably the Stihl 024/026 but the huskies are just a better design...air filtration and AV is way ahead of the game.

This platform may be the best ever, IMO. Besides for the plastic intake clamp issue these saws are good performers, reliable and easy to work on. You would be hard pressed to find a better lightweight firewood or limbing saw. The closest competetor is probably the Stihl 024/026 but the huskies are just a better design...air filtration and AV is way ahead of the game.
Thee are a bit newer than the 024/026 but stil like them had previous a 026

I think the Husky 353 has more grunt than my Stihl 026 PRO, but both are very good runners. The 353 might take a back seat to the Stihl 028 Super, but the 028 weighs another pound or so and drinks more fuel. Naturally, Stihl quit making the 028 Super and I don't see any plans by Stihl to bring it back, another poor decision. So, they are relying on the MS261, which only sets you back $650. I bet the 353 or the 346XP will run side-by-side with a Stihl MS261.

I took my 353 out last week and cut two tanks of fuel. My truck was packed to the gills. I simply am amazed at the 353's fuel economy. How they did that is mind boggling. Of course, a sharp chain helps a lot, and I usually carry a sharp pair with me in addition to the one on the bar.

Back