Husqvarna 357xp bearing replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Keniston

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I figured I would post a couple pics of the bearing replacement on a 357xp. I am posting them because I had trouble finding detailed shots of the crank reassembly in the manner I wanted to do it (using mallets to whack stuff around scares me a bit). I wanted to essentially do it according to manual, but without the specialty tools.
splitter.jpg
To split, I used square stock with holes drilled through to attach to bar studs, and a harbor freight gear puller I through one hole, you can see part of it sticking out the left side. The crank stuffers on the 357 wouldn't allow the tradition husky tool to be used anyways.
Clutch side on.jpg
I installed the new bearings in each case half using heat (in an oven for a bit, then a final blast with a heat gun. Also froze the bearings). I learned on the first one that quite a bit of heat it needed.
Clutch side.jpg
I then pushed the clutch side bearing onto the crank by pushing on the inner race only using spacers and the clutch. The left most item is a steel spacer (most to any hardware store item) that is about the ID of the bearing. The washers were added when the clutch bottomed out and needed more distance to continue pushing. I was able to keep the crank from turning by wedging my hand around the con rod between the piston and cylinder mating surface.
Flywheel side.jpg
Same deal on flywheel side, adding washers when the threads ran out. I went back to the clutch side to finish in order to center the crank better.
Together.jpg
Used this little red piston holder to prevent crank from turning. Then finally installed case screws to torque. No bearing binding at all. No whacking with a mallet/hammer. Obviously lots of ways to skin this cat. This obviously isn't a new approach either, just wanted to share some photos.

I do have a few questions. How many of you use an actual torque wrench on saws? If so I assume its a small NM style one and not a big ol torque bar (that all I have and seems way overkill).

An for the seals... I understand some lube on the crank and rubber parts, but what about the outer parts. I've heard some say to use a sealant (yamabond or equivalent). Or dry? Or oil?

Thays cool thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Good info & pics!

I don't use a torque wrench and only oil the inter seal portion when installing.

Thanks.
Using a standard t-handle 4mm allen, are you pretty much going as tight as the wrench allows before the [allen wrench] shaft starts to twist significantly?

There's a technique to hand torque that will save you from breaking off bolts. When they start to get snug you turn each bolt very slowly about 1/16th turn each time until you feel them lock. This doesn't take as much pressure as you would think. And when they lock in place they won't get any tighter even if you use a torque wrench.
If there is oil on the threads it can allow over tightening and likely not lock up which will allow the bolt to either strip out or beak off.

I'm not nearly so confident in my abilities so I use a torque wrench for the critical screws (cylinder, crankcase, flywheel). As much to keep them consistent as reaching a certain number. I got one that has dual scales - one in n-m and one in in-lbs. It is ratcheting which is really handy.

Interesting bearing installation technique. Maybe I'll do a video :)

I can usually get the crank to drop right in for the clutch side by heating the bearing and having the crank in the freezer. But on the flywheel side, trying to get it to go down whilst tightening the case bolts and wacking it is trixy. hmm... interesting.

I'm not nearly so confident in my abilities so I use a torque wrench for the critical screws (cylinder, crankcase, flywheel). As much to keep them consistent as reaching a certain number. I got one that has dual scales - one in n-m and one in in-lbs. It is ratcheting which is really handy.
I always use a torque wrench on case bolts.

When they start to get snug you turn each bolt very slowly about 1/16th turn each time until you feel them lock. This doesn't take as much pressure as you would think.

Yeah that's about what I've been doing. I did have one slip on me once over tightening, but it ended up being the head of the allen wrench and to some extent the head of the bolt that stripped instead of the threads. It seems like i'll need to keep grinding down my allen wrenches to expose nice new hexagons if that keeps happening...

image.png Try the WIHA brand made in Europe! They have an interesting design Hex Wrench! Very Sturdy, and seem to be as good as Bohndus!

Latest posts

Back