Husqvarna 372 or 576

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtreefeller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It is time to put my 29 year old 266SE on the second string for a well deserved rest (rest for both me and old faithful as she is hard to keep running reliably given hard to find parts and such).

I am looking at the Husqvarna 372xp or the 576xp. I always like the idea of more power, but the 576 apparently weighs 1 pound-plus more. Though they both weight considerably less than the 266. The difference in cost seems negligivel to me.

Any thoughts, advise or opinions from folks who know both saws would be appricieated.

Also, will I be able to use my 18 and 20 inch bars on either of both of those models?

This saw will be used about half-time bucking long length loads, and working in the woods.

Thanks,
Tim

It is time to put my 29 year old 266SE on the second string for a well deserved rest (rest for both me and old faithful as she is hard to keep running reliably given hard to find parts and such).

I am looking at the Husqvarna 372xp or the 576xp. I always like the idea of more power, but the 576 apparently weighs 1 pound-plus more. Though they both weight considerably less than the 266. The difference in cost seems negligivel to me.

Any thoughts, advise or opinions from folks who know both saws would be appricieated.

Also, will I be able to use my 18 and 20 inch bars on either of both of those models?

This saw will be used about half-time bucking long length loads, and working in the woods.

Thanks,
Tim

The bar mounts are the same as your 266SE, unless they also made a small mount version.. The 576 is a bit heavier but has more torque, better suited to a 24-32" bar. The 372 is a bit lighter, a bit less torque, but handles a bit better and is a more high-end cutting saw. It will pull a 28" bar stock but it's a bit better suited to a 24" bar unless you're cutting soft woods. The 576 can be had n the AT version which may or may not be an advantage to you. The 372 is not. The 372 X-torq is NOT the same as the non-X-torq and there is debate between the two. Mine is an X-torq but has been ported. Do you want a better handling (more suited to limbing saw) or a higher torque (longer bar) saw. Either way the differences aren't night and day so all of this is relative. They are slightly different routes to the same destination. I love my 372 but I would love to spend some time with the 576xpAT. The 372 will be better balanced (motor heavy) with an 18-20" bar than the 576 will be. It really needs at least a 24 to balance right. To me anyway...

I have had both saws .... technically.

Had a 371XP that was easy to use all day long, balanced well with a 24" bar. I swapped out the clutch cover for one with a side-adjust (like a372). Higher speed at the top end.

I currently have a 576XP-AT that is my current fave. Not as light (to me), but just plain 'feels better.' Seems to have a bit more grunt. Run it with either a 20" or 24" bar, depending on the task at hand.

:cheers:

While I haven't run a 576, I'd bet its similar.to a 441 with a broader torque band of the newer strato saws. And I do have couple of 372's on an xp (non X torque) the other an XPW and like the balance and feel of them. I'd say the 576 is more practical and the 372 is more fun. If your ham fisted, the 576 will.be better suited to you. Otherwise I say 372 all the way. Especially a ported to one with an XPW cylinder on it.

this might help a bit,,,, I have never run a 576 but I love my 372,, ported of course

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/10aUUxoPl18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A 372 is a beast of a saw, ported or stock. For firewood duty (18-20") stuff, why not go with a 562? Personally I'd go that direction. I do have a ported 372 and I personally like it with a 24" bar. The one I built for my father has a 20" on it and it just feels too short for me on it. A good friend and faller loves a 20" on one so it's all up to you. Pick one up and handle them both. What feels best in your hands is what you need as they are both proven performers.

Where in mass are you? I'm in the Merrimack valley area and could help you get either or both if you can't make up your mind. :givebeer:

If you're staying with a 20" bar then get a 365xt and you'll have a 71 cc saw for around $600. You can make it into a 372 easily for $00 money invested.

Thanks,
Tim

The 266 weighs the same as a 372 and might be a few ounces lighter so there won't be a weight savings between the two. The 266 is smaller saw compared to the 372.That might appeal to some. You will see more grunt from the 372 when the wood gets bigger,but the 266 will be pretty close in wood under 18". I really love both saws. The 372 is just more refined overall and I use it alot,but I would never sell my 266. What is wrong with your 266? Making it reliable should be no issue at all.

If you're staying with a 20" bar then get a 365xt and you'll have a 71 cc saw for around $600. You can make it into a 372 easily for $00 money invested.

Which is likely what I would have done, had I not scored a good deal on my Stumpbroke 372... I have no regrets!

Thanks for the reply's gents

My interest in a new saw, in large part, is that I would like to get a modern saw before EPA forces the manufacture of solar powered chain saws using cannola oil for bar and chain lube. And, I have about 19 saws, most are antiques I have not time to work on, the 266 is the only saw I ever bought new - in 1984 - and hey, I just want a new (or at least nearly new) saw! I traded for a 162 several years ago that has great compression and would probably be a work horse if I put a new carb on it (can't find carb kits for the original).

272super - there is really not much wrong with the 266, and despite having cut way north of 1,000 cords of word still builds 175 psi of compression. It needs a new gas line (anyone have advice how to install those suckers without ruining them?), the new choke switch keeps popping out of the lever, so I need to wrap a thin piece of wire around the nub - like it was for about 25 years before the original switch broke. Probably will need to have the carb cleaned and a new diaphram to get it to start easier.

Jimmy, I will look into a 562.

mdavlee, I will also look at a 365, but I would like to have a saw that can pull a longer, maybe 24 inch bar. What do you mean I could make it into a 372 with $0 invested? Are you just saying that the 365 can pull a 20 inch bar just as well as a 372?

Thanks again all,
Tim

My interest in a new saw, in large part, is that I would like to get a modern saw before EPA forces the manufacture of solar powered chain saws using cannola oil for bar and chain lube. And, I have about 19 saws, most are antiques I have not time to work on, the 266 is the only saw I ever bought new - in 1984 - and hey, I just want a new (or at least nearly new) saw! I traded for a 162 several years ago that has great compression and would probably be a work horse if I put a new carb on it (can't find carb kits for the original).

272super - there is really not much wrong with the 266, and despite having cut way north of 1,000 cords of word still builds 175 psi of compression. It needs a new gas line (anyone have advice how to install those suckers without ruining them?), the new choke switch keeps popping out of the lever, so I need to wrap a thin piece of wire around the nub - like it was for about 25 years before the original switch broke. Probably will need to have the carb cleaned and a new diaphram to get it to start easier.

mdavlee, I will also look at a 365, but I would like to have a saw that can pull a longer, maybe 24 inch bar. What do you mean I could make it into a 372 with $0 invested? Are you just saying that the 365 can pull a 20 inch bar just as well as a 372?

Thanks again all,
Tim

The 365 is a 372 but has some flow limiters in the transfer covers. You can very simply lift the jug and remove the transfer covers and in about 3 minutes cut out the transfer restrictors with a Dremel. Bolt it back up and you are ready to go... 372.

Several threads about it but search is still down... FWIW my 372 was a 365 and still says 365 Special everywhere. Also most 365's around here come in a "low top" and the 372's come with the HD filter. I like the low top and imagine you'd like it better as it looks more like the 266.

I have owned one of these and they are the best of the bunch for the money. Plenty of torque for a 24" bar all day long and handles well with the 20" bars. Weight puts them up around 14.2 lbs but not an issue for bucking. A little easier on fuel consumption as well but no slouch on performance!

Thanks again all,
Tim

The 365 is a 372 but has some flow limiters in the transfer covers. You can very simply lift the jug and remove the transfer covers and in about 3 minutes cut out the transfer restrictors with a Dremel. Bolt it back up and you are ready to go... 372.

Several threads about it but search is still down... FWIW my 372 was a 365 and still says 365 Special everywhere. Also most 365's around here come in a "low top" and the 372's come with the HD filter. I like the low top and imagine you'd like it better as it looks more like the 266.

I find Google searches to be much easier, even when the AS search is "working."

https://www.google.com/#q=365+372+mod+site:arboristsite.com

New saws. For xp's; 550 18", 562 20", 372 24" and 576AT 24".
Send me a pm and I will give you more info.
Woooostah is not that bad of a ride to where I am.
-Chris

I was thinking about this thread yesterday and I have to add that the newer technology while daunting, is good. AT saws sure are nice to know it will always be tuned just right. We have one TS500 fuel injected demo saw that has been awesome. Never more than two pulls and she's idling.

The AT chainsaws seem to be just as good and while I embrace a standard carb, just pull the string and go is nice if you just need to put wood on the ground, in the truck, in the stove.

Latest posts

Back