Husqvarna 372xp... Deal or no deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrassGuerilla

Olympic Piss-reving wanna be.
Reaction score
Last year I bought a stack of Earthquake 3814's. kept a couple, gave each of my brothers one and hooked up my bro's neighbor with a couple. He's got the CAD fairly bad too.

Bro's neighbor (John) has a Husqvarna 372xp that apparently has a bad P&C. He had it checked out and was quoted about $350 to repair it. That was too much for him so its been sitting for years. Sounds like a fair price to me to put it back in service. Anyway, he recently offered to give me the 372 with the only condition being that he can use it once or twice a year maybe. Actually he mentioned that he hasn't needed a saw over 50cc in two years or so.

Now, the meat and potatoes part: what's it worth? I know a pics worth a thousand words, but I ain't got a pic yet... What should I be looking for? What differentiates the 372's? I know there have been several versions. Some better than others. The current 372 having little if anything in common with the meaner versions. Is it down to serial #?

I'd feel better buying it outright, even if I did decide to loan it back to him (golden chainsaw rule violation?) Also, if you just want to tell me how dumb I am to consider this, please feel free.

Will all 372 P&C interchange? Is there a solid aftermarket kit or stick with OEM (assuming its grenaded and won't clean up)?

Caveat, I have no real need for yet another project saw. It would likely as not sit under my bench till at least next year.

They bring good money, $200 if it's exceptionally nice with bar and chain, even burned up. Repairs, $150 for a good aftermarket kit or clean the cylinder up and a Meteor piston kit for $50. Full fuel service and seals.

Most cylinders will clean up with a Dremel and some elbow grease. $50 for a meteor piston and probably $30 for carb kit, fuel line and filter, etc.

I'd say it's worth $100-$150 without knowing exactly what's wrong.

If it's got the blue decompression valve on the side of the cylinder it's the original version, and if it's got a black one on the top of the cylinder, it's the newer x-torq (2010 and on). There both good saws, but the original is sought after and is better to port so I hear. If the recoil sticker is present, it will also say XTorq or not on the bottom right-hand corner. The Xtorq's are the newer saws with better fuel consumption and a little more power. I've heard of some carb problems with flooding, but that could be human error. The ports/transfers are a bit different as well between the two. The original version takes better to porting, and is a damn good saw. Both versions will serve you well. The cylinders will interchange? I'm not positive because of the strato design, but I'm sure someone will tell you that.

So you are thinking of fixing your brother's neighbor's saw, for free, and storing and maintaining it for him until such time as he may need it. In my experience, First time he "borrows" "his" saw back, you'll have to go get it back, burnt up or not.

Either buy it outright, consider it charity, or leave it alone. Or do whatever you want. :)

Actually, that was his offer... As mentioned, I'd feel more comfortable buying it outright. The whole loaning of saws thing doesn't sit well with me. That's what Earthquakes are for.

Latest posts

Back