Husqvarna 372XP "Flagship saw" "best saw Husky ever made"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just starting a falling contract in BC when the first 172 line came out. It was a good saw but no match for my 181 of the time! I have owned over 2 dozen saws, most of them were Husky and my favourite of all time was my 2100 brute that would literally pull me off my feet when I would buck big diameter drags on the landing. That is some 30 years back now. Besides the 2100 I liked the 281 and the 288 XP line. They'd do circles around a Stihl.

Welcome to the site, another faller from B.C. Great, bringing more good advice on falling. Some here think they know it all, I have great respect for fallers, there is much arborists can learn from them.

I was just starting a falling contract in BC when the first 172 line came out. It was a good saw but no match for my 181 of the time! I have owned over 2 dozen saws, most of them were Husky and my favourite of all time was my 2100 brute that would literally pull me off my feet when I would buck big diameter drags on the landing. That is some 30 years back now. Besides the 2100 I liked the 281 and the 288 XP line. They'd do circles around a Stihl.

How do them 2100's run? My dealer has one that needs a topend and i'm thinking of buying it, and rebuilding it. Si I can say I broke the 100cc boundry,LOL!!! And so I have a saw that can pull a 36" with full comp, for the few big trees we have on some tracts. The 60acre stand I have comming has atleast 100,000 ft on it, and 3 big red and white oaks (over 5 ft). An I want to have some fun,lol.:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :chainsaw:

"How do them 2100's run? My dealer has one that needs a topend and i'm thinking of buying it, and rebuilding it. Si I can say I broke the 100cc boundry,LOL!!! And so I have a saw that can pull a 36" with full comp, for the few big trees we have on some tracts. The 60acre stand I have comming has atleast 100,000 ft on it,"

If you don't mind the weight, and the noise, you will not be disappointed with the 2100, truely a "beast" if you get a good one. My brother has one, and so do a couple of my friends, for the big jobs, nothing else I've ever ran came close. Running one is like having go kart engine with a bar on it. They are big, heavy, awkward, noisey, tons of top end power and the torque to go with it!.....Cliff

thanks!!

"How do them 2100's run? My dealer has one that needs a topend and i'm thinking of buying it, and rebuilding it. Si I can say I broke the 100cc boundry,LOL!!! And so I have a saw that can pull a 36" with full comp, for the few big trees we have on some tracts. The 60acre stand I have comming has atleast 100,000 ft on it,"

If you don't mind the weight, and the noise, you will not be disappointed with the 2100, truely a "beast" if you get a good one. My brother has one, and so do a couple of my friends, for the big jobs, nothing else I've ever ran came close. Running one is like having go kart engine with a bar on it. They are big, heavy, awkward, noisey, tons of top end power and the torque to go with it!.....Cliff

Thanks,m that's all I needed to know! I'll tell my dealer I want it.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :clap: :)

Troll, you are one tough nut. For a good saw, I will tolerate the outboard clutch. I may use non-family oriented words, but it won't change the fact that its a good saw. Most good products have some quirk or another.

Mark

I actually agree, believe it or not!

As long as I have other saws with inboards, I don't mind that some have outboards......:greenchainsaw:

:cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
The 2100

I like the big Huskies because they don't have to scream out like a sewing machine in heat to get the job done. I like the deeper more throaty sound of the big displacement saws, and if you can handle the weight, it does a lot of the work for you!

There are many advantages: The choice of pitch is available for the 2100. The saw is ergo-dynamic (did I just invent a word?) in that it is stream-lined for bucking around limbs.

The Huskies are great to repair in the field, where time means money, sometimes lots of it. With some simple tools the Husky can be laid out on the litter diagnosed and reassembled faster than most of the competitors' saws. IMHO anyway; that was a long time ago! But maybe by now Stihl and the others have lessened the amount of parts and made it easier to tool in the field !

Also, I like the old 2100's power overhead even when working with small wood. You know the saw won't be taxed beyond its limit and one day less of downtime is more money in the bank.

Last edited:
Husqvarna

It all depends what you are using the saw for ax-man! When I used to commute the thousands of hours to and from the bush, I would ward of the monotony by doing silly little things like :

Count the Chevy and Ford pick ups (and dream about my own souped up 1/2 ton)

Look into other contractors crummies and p/u boxes to see what was the most common saw.

Now if your income directly relates to a pick up and a power saw, you want ones that are the most common. Being most common is a sign of two things:

preferred for quality and performance attributes
ease of getting parts (being common assures this)

Ford outnumbered Chev nearly two to one and Husqvarna had a similar ratio against Stihls. I bought a Ford and yet another Husqvarna!

For falling I would recommend the 288XP
For bucking I would suggest the 2101XP
For thinning or juvenile spacing I think the 272 or 372 is the unanimous choice.

For monster wood, like the coastal giants, perhaps Sachs Dolmar gets a vote, I didn't tangle much with 50 inch diameter wood, being from the interior (hence my handle) so someone else would know better than me.

As I mentioned before, the lesser amount of integral parts and ease of wrenching and screwdrivering those parts in the field makes the Husqvarna the winner in my opinion.

Last edited:
It all depends what you are using the saw for ax-man! When I used to commute the thousands of hours to and from the bush, I would ward of the monotony by doing silly little things like :

Count the Chevy and Ford pick ups (and dream about my own souped up 1/2 ton)

Look into other contractors crummies and p/u boxes to see what was the most common saw.

Now if your income directly relates to a pick up and a power saw, you want ones that are the most common. Being most common is a sign of two things:

preferred for quality and performance attributes
ease of getting parts (being common assures this)

Ford outnumbered Chev nearly two to one and Husqvarna had a similar ratio against Stihls. I bought a Ford and yet another Husqvarna!

For falling I would recommend the 288XP
For bucking I would suggest the 2101XP
For thinning or juvenile spacing I think the 272 or 372 is the unanimous choice.

For monster wood, like the coastal giants, perhaps Sachs Dolmar gets a vote, I didn't tangle much with 50 inch diameter wood, being from the interior (hence my handle) so someone else would know better than me.

As I mentioned before, the lesser amount of integral parts and ease of wrenching and screwdrivering those parts in the field makes the Husqvarna the winner in my opinion.

This is often more of a regional thing than a national or bi-national thing. Up in the NE and PNW, Husky has a big following. If you want bigger saws outside those areas, more often than not, you will find a Stihl, due entirely to the reasons you mention. Dealers and availability.

I'm of the notion that there are 3 saw lines that are the "best of the best" and that each of them have models that are "go-to" models, the ones that we brag about. Be it Dolmar, Husky/Jred, or Stihl, especially in the pro models, you will have a heck of a saw. No apologies needed.

If I'm cutting with a guy and he pulls out one of the three, I figure he has a clue about saws. If he pulls out a WildThing, new Homelite, or other pretend saw, then, I try to keep my distance when he's cutting.

Mark

Last edited:
This is often more of a regional thing than a national or bi-national thing. Up in the NE and PNW, Husky has a big following. If you want bigger saws outside those areas, more often than not, you will find a Stihl, due entirely to the reasons you mention. Dealers and availability.

I'm of the notion that there are 3 saw lines that are the "best of the best" and that each of them have models that are "go-to" models, the ones that we brag about. Be it Dolmar, Husky/Jred, or Stihl, especially in the pro models, you will have a heck of a saw. No apologies needed.

If I'm cutting with a guy and he pulls out one of the three, I figure he has a clue about saws. If he pulls out a WildThing, new Homelite, or other pretend saw, then, I try to keep my distance when he's cutting.

Mark
How bout an Echo? ;)

Peckepole, I love you man. Got an F150 and model 51 myself. When the budget permits I hope to make it a 450 dually and a 372

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back