Husqvarna 395xp chain tensioner screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally it worked out... Thanks for all the advice, initially I tensioned the chain bolted everything down released the tension screw got cutting and... Bang the chain went slack... I stopped and took off the chain brake cover and had a closer look at the internal of the cover I noticed a bit of a raised surface on it I took my battery grinder with a sanding disc and gave it a light sand I did the same to the bar spacer which was also slightly protruding from the bar slot I reassembled everything tensioned the chain tightened the bolts and could see immediately that it had clamped the bar much better..... After 7 slabs all about 900mm wide never had another problem

How do you go wearing the mask all the time? I used to do the same till it dawned on me one day after milling in the breeze direction that I can create my own breeze. Now I only use the mask in confined spaces or if the breeze is blowing towards me. Also do this with the AlaskanDSC_2625.JPG

How do you go wearing the mask all the time? I used to do the same till it dawned on me one day after milling in the breeze direction that I can create my own breeze. Now I only use the mask in confined spaces or if the breeze is blowing towards me. Also do this with the AlaskanView attachment 452847
Yeah I'm used to it now mate.... Between the hardwoods fine powdery dust and the fumes comin off the saw I reckon any protection I can use is good for me, it also helps I have unlimited access to the fume type filters,also I do a lot of freediving.. I need my lungs:)

Cobron, the other thing that makes a big difference to exhaust fume and saw dust exposure is a decent muffler mod.
It was not deliberately design like this but my mod (http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/880-muffler-mod-question.88748/) blows the sawdust and fumes coming out of the saw well away from the operator.
Bobsnew-millingstyle.jpg
Look how far it sprays the sawdust and even though the log is nearly completely milled how little sawdust is left alongside the long - this is very handy as it means the operator does not end up walking on an ever increasing layer of sawdust alongside the log.

I noticed the difference with the fumes when I was using my mates 3120. Saws that eject exhaust forwards means it bounces off the log and when milling the top half of the log the exhaust reflects off the log up into the operators face. Worse still are the saws that eject sawdust out of a RHS port which does the same thing for the entire log. After using the 3120 for half an hour or so I felt a bit nauseated and could feel an oily film on my chaps and clothes and by the end of the day I could easily see the oil and had a headache - Unfortunately I did not have my full face respirator with me otherwise I would have used it. With both the 076 and my muffler modded 880 I do not have these problems .

As far as vertical milling goes, one way to deal with the sawdust issue is to use a minimill setup that cuts with the top of the bar so the sawdust exits at the bottom of the log and not all over the operator.
The requires a setup that prevents the saw from jumping up out of the cut - its more complicated but far from impossible.
Below is my setup - note there is sawdust on top of the cut but that's because in this photo I was using the bottom of the bar.
first-cut.jpg

Cobron, the other thing that makes a big difference to exhaust fume and saw dust exposure is a decent muffler mod.
It was not deliberately design like this but my mod (http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/880-muffler-mod-question.88748/) blows the sawdust and fumes coming out of the saw well away from the operator.
View attachment 452874
Look how far it sprays the sawdust and even though the log is nearly completely milled how little sawdust is left alongside the long - this is very handy as it means the operator does not end up walking on an ever increasing layer of sawdust alongside the log.

I noticed the difference with the fumes when I was using my mates 3120. Saws that eject exhaust forwards means it bounces off the log and when milling the top half of the log the exhaust reflects off the log up into the operators face. Worse still are the saws that eject sawdust out of a RHS port which does the same thing for the entire log. After using the 3120 for half an hour or so I felt a bit nauseated and could feel an oily film on my chaps and clothes and by the end of the day I could easily see the oil and had a headache - Unfortunately I did not have my full face respirator with me otherwise I would have used it. With both the 076 and my muffler modded 880 I do not have these problems .

As far as vertical milling goes, one way to deal with the sawdust issue is to use a minimill setup that cuts with the top of the bar so the sawdust exits at the bottom of the log and not all over the operator.
The requires a setup that prevents the saw from jumping up out of the cut - its more complicated but far from impossible.
Below is my setup - note there is sawdust on top of the cut but that's because in this photo I was using the bottom of the bar.
View attachment 452876
Oh nice thanks for info... I wouldn't mind trying the mod

Back