Husqvarna 41

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryj

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I last used this saw about two years ago and ran ethanol fuel through it in a pinch with the plan to drain the tank when I was done using it and then run the carb dry. Something came up and I never did this.

Fast forward to last week when I go to use it and the saw will not start at all. I pull the carb apart and find this.

I clean everything really well and replace the fuel metering diaphragm and gasket, the fuel line (cracked) and fuel filter. I put it all back together and it starts easily when choked. I was able to squeeze the throttle and rev it up a little bit, but it ends up dying out.

I can restart it with the choke pulled out, but if I push the choke back in it revs up really high and stalls out again.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to AS. She's getting air from somewhere. Check everything that you've touched, carb gasket, carb screws are tight but not overly so, those intake boots get crusty over time. If you had that plastic bulkhead out then check the impulse grommet.

41.jpg

I didn't have the plastic bulkhead off so I never checked the impulse grommet, but I read the impulse grommet can still dry out and crack. I'm going to check that and I'll report back.

Thanks for the replies.

The impulse pipe and induction pipe were not dried out, hardened, or cracked. I put everything back together, but didn't have a chance to start it since it was around midnight last night after work. I'll give her a try this evening.

I did pick up a stihl ms250 locally for $110 that was in great shape, it seems most people here don't like them too much, but it's comparable to this husqvarna 41 and will work for light duty and firewood. I also have a deal pending on a poulan 4000 from this board for some bigger work. What's this CAD thing I've been reading about :(.

I'd still like to get the husqvarna straightened out so I may buy a complete replacement carb instead of buying the whole thing piece by piece.

Oh, and there's a $50 craigslist 55cc craftsman for sale locally that I may go look at this evening.

I still had the same symptoms after checking the impulse pipe and induction pipe.

I adjusted the idle, low, and high screws and put them back to the factory specs. I was able to keep it running long enough to cut through some 10" oak I had on the ground. It needs some fine tuning, but it's close.

Latest posts

Back