Husqvarna 44 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a blown Husky 44 Rancher project saw. It needs new piston n cylinder. Is there any other larger piston and cylinder that will fit on that same case? It is an old saw. Believe it says it a 1979.

No. But it is a great saw if you can find the parts. Did you see if you can save the cylinder?

Its gouged pretty bad. Looks like a needle roller bearing left loose on the piston rod. It was already torn apart when i got it. The crank rod bearing is fine. I got it from a local dealer and he gave me new ring n bearing with the saw. I paid 40 for it. Has bar n good chain n scabbard. I know where there is a piston n cylinder ill try n grab. I was just wondering if i could make a lil more hp out of it if i could.

Great saws them Husky 44's are fer sure.
Finding a good cylinder is the easy part, but finding a piston is a different story as they've been NLA for quite some time. If you know of a good cylinder and piston is I'd grab it quick.

Last edited:
Great saws them Husky 44's are fer sure.
Finding a good cylinder is the easy part, but finding a piston is a different story as they've been NLA for quite some time. If you know of a good cylinder and piston is I'd grab it quick.

Yup. I found a carcass on ebay with a good p/c just in case. Gotta keep your eyes open and be patient.

That is unless someone out there has a pair (p/c) they would like to make a deal on between now and then. I to am kind of curious about this lil saw. I dont normally mess with saws this small but it was so clean and the work was half done for me. 40.00 come on who wouldnt or is this just what an addict would say?

Oh no, you're not an addict, there's always room for another saw. We don't call women addicts with their 20 pairs of shoes and a different purse for each day.

I picked up a blown Husky 44 Rancher project saw. It needs new piston n cylinder. Is there any other larger piston and cylinder that will fit on that same case? It is an old saw. Believe it says it a 1979.

Not larger, but a closed port 444 top end will make more power. :msp_wink:

Are the 444 top ends any more or less available?

I have no idea really, but my guess is more likely less than more, unless you happen to find a parts saw with a usable top end.

If only the piston is bad, it likely is possible to make a 42 mm 346xp piston work - that has been done before, but it isn't a streight replacement, takes some reworking. At least Komatsuvarna has done it, on a saw that Cheeves own.

You won't find a 444 top end, or a 444 saw for that matter, without a huge bit of luck. I've been looking for years, no dice. I did have a ported 44 for a while, it was a really nice little firewood saw running 13"/.325". Keep up the search for a good P/C, they're worth it.

I got a 44 piston and cylinder on its way. I noticed on the front of the case there is a threaded hole that bar oil leaks out of. Is this hole for a vent or just screw a bolt in and seal it up? Looking forward to giving this saw a run against 024 or 026 for comparison.

Thats perfect. Like i said I got it already torn down and oil was leaking out when I was cleaning it up. When and if i was putting it back together it would have made sense then. I am a Stihl guy and a lil to excited to put this Husky saw back together. Its nice to bring an old "piece of junk" back to a new clean perfect life.

You won't find a 444 top end, or a 444 saw for that matter, without a huge bit of luck. I've been looking for years, no dice. I did have a ported 44 for a while, it was a really nice little firewood saw running 13"/.325". Keep up the search for a good P/C, they're worth it.

The 444 is a hard one to grab hold of, I missed one locally for 60CAD, talked with the fellow when he replied to my response only to find out he had already promised to sell to someone else and if the deal fell through he would call me. He never did call, it really sucked.

Looks like might have what you're looking for. I picked up two 44 and 2 444 this fall and do not have time anymore to play with them.

I had on of the 444 running but I realized some gasket had to be changed so it didn't run good and I didn't use it to cut.
The second 444 is for parts, it's missing a few minor things.
Both 44 are incomplete too

I'd have to go have a look but my souvenir is: I have 2 closed port cylinder, one open port and three piston, 2 in good shape one is pretty much done (can't remember open vs closed port.)

--EDIT--

To get a second one running you'll need:
intake gasket
exhaust gasket
cyl gasket
lock button
throttle rod
fuel hose

If you're interested please send a Pm quick, I'm going treeplanting for the summer in 3 weeks

Last edited:
Francois I thank you but I got a p/c coming. The way it sounds there will be a few guys from this thread that will be in touch with you shortly.

Got that lil Husky back together and it really runs well. Nice little saw and cuts quick with plenty of grunt for a lil girl. One thing I learned that I didnt love was the exhaust and intake studs from the cylinder. Little bit of a pain getting everything on the intake side to line up and the studs loosen up and nothing to grab ahold of other than with a vice grip to tighten them back up.

Got that lil Husky back together and it really runs well. Nice little saw and cuts quick with plenty of grunt for a lil girl. One thing I learned that I didnt love was the exhaust and intake studs from the cylinder. Little bit of a pain getting everything on the intake side to line up and the studs loosen up and nothing to grab ahold of other than with a vice grip to tighten them back up.

You could have used the double nut approach so you wouldn't destroy the threads on the studs. Just a thought

Nylon locknuts. You can get one off that way but not 2.

Latest posts

Back