Husqvarna 455 Rancher issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamweth

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

I'm having an issue with a 455 Rancher. It won't run.

It had been sitting for about a month, then I went to start it up to clean up a tree blown down in a storm. Went to start it in the usual way, prime, choke, fired on first pull, push in choke lever, pull again, runs for about 3 seconds, spewing blue/black smoke. Hasn't run since. It will produce enough compression to pop the compression relief valve, but won't even fire.

I have:

cleaned fuel tank and put in fresh clean fuel mix

changed spark plug, air filter, fuel filter

taken carb apart and cleaned it, carefully. It had no buildup and no debris. Did not rebuild.

Took off recoil assembly, blew out all the junk around the ignition coil. Took the coil off, cleaned it. Spaced it with a business card. Saw actually fired after this step, but still won't run.

Saw produces a spark when the spark plug is grounded against the cylinder head. Saw is also definitely getting fuel.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, i'm all out of them. Thanks in advance,

Matt

what you are describing it is flooding real bad,, you need to pull the carb apart and clean it real good and go ahead and put a diaphram kit in it

In that 3 months of non use sounds like the diaphragm distorted from ethanol.When you tore the carb down it should have looked a little stretched with wrinkles in it.

When I first got the saw, I used fuel with ethanol added. For the past year or so, I have used fuel without ethanol. I didn't notice any wrinkles, but I'll tear it down again.

I called the Husky dealer today, he says Husky doesn't make a rebuild kit for that saw, and no aftermarket kits either. Isn't this a little strange?

Thanks.

Muffler clogged with a insect nest?

I doubt it has anything to do with ethanol. This panic about three months old fuel is going to eat up your carb membranes is a little to much. How old is your saw? If you want to rebuild the carb look at the carb model and order it specifically. Should be no problem. If your husky dealer can't do it go to any other dealer or order it online.
For carb cleaning I follow the following procedure.

3 runs in the ultrasound cleaner with simple green
1 run without
careful drying with compressor
blowing everything out with WD40
rebuild

I forgot, is your sparkplug getting fuel during your start procedures? And take a good look at the cylinder while you have the muffler off to be sure there is no deaper scratches!

Good luck!

When I first got the saw, I used fuel with ethanol added. For the past year or so, I have used fuel without ethanol. I didn't notice any wrinkles, but I'll tear it down again.

I called the Husky dealer today, he says Husky doesn't make a rebuild kit for that saw, and no aftermarket kits either. Isn't this a little strange?

Thanks.

I find this strange. I just got my 455 back from the dealer and he rebuilt the carb using a carb kit. I had the same symptoms you encountered. Mine had sat for about 6 months. It would start then die about 5 seconds later. Then it just quit starting. The tech told me that the needle valves got stuck in their seats and would not open. He said that is fairly normal for 455's. It is running like a champ now.

Look on the carb itself and note the model make and number (I.E. Walbro, Zama, etc).

There is a carb for it. Probably a K10-WJ or similar....but there IS a kit for it.

Latest posts

Back