Husqvarna 455 Rancher ( Problems )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've "somewhat" acquired a newer 455R from a local arborist who i've been servicing & repairing his saws. This is the 7th saw he's brought to me and has a past due balance on labor charges and it seems (after i completely rebuilt this 455R) he has pretty much abandoned it with me. It's been a little over 2 months since i've notified him of completion & ready to square up with him upon pickup. Haven't heard from him since and no answers from left voicemails and texts sent to him.

Question 1: I have notified customers that abandoned saws would eventually be kept or sold. What would be a decent & moral wait time to shelf this guys saw before doing so? 2 months? 4-6 months? Hold forever until he claims it (doubt i'd do that)...

Question 2: It's not a bad saw, i kind of like it and freshly built it zips along pretty good except i hate the "quick release" chain brake/bar cover. Its been stripped a little making it a b*tch to remove the bar and chain... Is there a different cover/chain brake (like a normal 2 nut option)?

Question 3: What would be a decent asking price for a newer 455R with fresh rebuilt top-end, fully cleaned up, all new fuel lines/filter/air filter/chain & a bunch of other smaller pieces including bolts, screws, nuts & other hardware replaced. Runs great, no leaks, obviously a bit marked up cosmetically being a groundie saw. Seems like a great bucking/firewood saw. 20" B&C

Any thoughts on any question highly appreciated, especially question 1. Never thought i'd have this problem but i do now. He owes a little under $450 +/-, i'd have to add it all up, just a quick guess. Good guy but has a rep as "crazy" and has admitted all saws he buys come off the streets (pretty much implied they were all stolen last time he was here). Spoke with a highschool friend who is now a police officer in my area, said there isn't much they would do unless they had a way of catching him "in the act" of purchasing stolen equipment and told me to cut ties with him... Blah

Thanks

~Moose

Sorry for the loss. I think a couple months is plenty wait time especially if you have notified him with your intent.
Imo you could get 250-300 for the saw with new chain. That is if it has oem top end back on it. Good luck with recouping what you can.

Yup, everything was replaced all OEM with some help of a member here on A/S and a Husq dealer. I'd just hate to get rid of it just to find out that he had some legitimate excuse for not responding. Seemed like a decent guy until he implied every saw he owned was most likely stolen. That alone kinda pisses me off knowing someones lively-hood could have been put in jeopardy over a $20 crack rock or something.

EDIT: I say crack rock because upon notifying him of completion of the 455R he asked if i would take anything else as payment. I asked what he meant and he responded "i can get anything you might need ya know, i'll just talk to you about it when i see ya" and he always acted kinda funny and "up" with dilated pupils numerous times (no license, always a groundy driving him around). Last i heard from him. I've been to his place once to drop off a saw and he lives in the ghetto, i won't be returning there i can tell you that!

I would contact the police with the whole situation and have them run the saw and see if it is stolen. Selling stolen items can carry the same charges as stealing said item. You may end up taking a loss but better then getting tangled up with the law and choosing you a whole lot more.

Latest posts

Back