Husqvarna 460 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I return the Husky 460?

• Yes

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters
I have a 460, wish I would of bought the 555. 555 is a great saw, our climber uses it up in the tree. The 460 rancher was my first saw purchase, I used to borrow my dads saws. I didn't want a used pro saw because I wanted new for the reliability. I have a 20" bar on mine, I think 18" would be better. But when you keep the rpm's up the 20" cuts pretty well, just don't let the dogs bite in or apply too much pressure. Skip tooth might be better for the 20" but I haven't tried it yet. I caught oak 95% of the time. Honestly I have about 1 gallon threw the 460 and at least 5 gallons threw my mcculloch's that were purchased after the 460. This thread can go away and die again...

On my sons 460 husky I put the 8 pin driver with the skip tooth chain. She runs awesome

I recommend swapping out the single little spike for the dual felling spikes from a 357/359xp part number 544283801, bailey's has them for around $4. They help keep the case off the trees

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
$4.00 ?. I haven't seen Chinese eBay ones that cheap.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have a Husqvarna 460 Rancher. It's a good saw. It'll run a 24" bar through softer woods like pines and aspens (I see you're in Idaho. I'm in Utah, so similar cutting). It is better with a 20" bar on it, though. It's a reliable saw as well. In fact, it's the easiest saw to start that I own. Regardless of temps or how long it's been sitting, I put the choke on and in two pulls, it fires. The rest of the day it'll fire and run on the first pull, almost every time. Is it a pro saw? No. But, you aren't going to get a pro saw at $400, unless you buy used. If I were you, I'd keep the Rancher. I have much better saws, power-wise, but the Rancher is a good all-around saw.
I live in the south east and will be cutting a good deal of hardwood - oak and hickory. Will the 460 run the 24" bar through those? I need a longer bar on a saw and have some large pieces of property I have to maintain. I already run a 435e with an 16"/18" and a 235e (i think) with 12"/14". Trying to decide if i need to bite the XP bullet to get a saw that will run the larger bars.

The 460 will run a 24 " bar efficiently . A 28 " will be pushing it in any gnarly hardwood , but can be accomplished with sharp semi chisel . Unfortunately the current pricing is effecting its niche , for a little more you can buy a pro grade saw !

My 450 has been a reliable saw for 10 years for firewood capable of some big wood and light enough to be flexible. 460, more power still.

From your usage, I'd say keep it. Not worth the return hassle. If I was buying a new saw today, I'd buy the Echo CS-590. The Husky 450-455-460 get a bad rap because they are homeowner clamshells with a pretty steep price tag. Nothing wrong with a clamshell, though - if you take care of it and don't abuse it - it will last a very long time.
I believe the Echo is a homeowner type saw also..
Both the Echo and Husqvarna 455-460 are good saws. I wouldn't return the new saw unless it was defective and you didn't indicate that..

I live in the south east and will be cutting a good deal of hardwood - oak and hickory. Will the 460 run the 24" bar through those? I need a longer bar on a saw and have some large pieces of property I have to maintain. I already run a 435e with an 16"/18" and a 235e (i think) with 12"/14". Trying to decide if i need to bite the XP bullet to get a saw that will run the larger bars.
The chain is what does the work. ANY 60cc engine will pull a 24" chain with ease. The 460/465 Rancher is up for the task.......only YELLOW chains will make you smile.

Back