Husqvarna 480 chainsaw 20" ID question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am interested in this Husqvarna 480 chainsaw 20" for sale on Criagslist for $200. I am waiting to see what the serial number is to help ID it. Is this something that any of you may be able to ballpark the age or once I do get the serial number, how is it compiled to designate the year?

Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance.

I am just finishing up a 480 CD w/20" bar for a friend of mine. I think they came out in 1979. I'm still trying to find 1 nylon chain guide and haven't been having much luck. Its a great running saw and has the same bore and stroke as my MS 460.

I'd pay $200 for one that clean assuming p/c in good shape.

He could not find a plate for the ID...I'm going to see what his bottom dollar is.
Thanks for the input!

rock solid

I've owned a dozen 480's.They are heavy by today's standards but they are a rock solid saw.Very durable.$200 for a nice one is money well spent.

He says $175 is the bottom line...new bar, new chain, 1 hr on it...thoughts?

After thinking about it a couple of more days, I decided a newer saw and one with a brake is better fit for the long run...still have not decided on one yet.

He could not find a plate for the ID...I'm going to see what his bottom dollar is.
Thanks for the input!

The number would likely not tell much anyway on that saw. They were made 1979-1982, as the last model in the 180-"family" - replaced by the 181 in 1982.

You've broken the second biggest rule we have. Never pass up a good deal on old school muscle . :wink2: but safety first . In that price range I'd get in touch with a site sponsor. They can get you set up with something quality.

It was a pretty good deal I feel...but just thinking down the line if issues do arise from it, finding parts could be tricky. Not having the brake is also a concern of mine. That was a lot of old muscle though from the research I did on it...that saw could be older than me!

Back