Husqvarna 480 chainsaw 20" ID question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TeeMan

TeeMan

ArboristSite Operative
I am interested in this Husqvarna 480 chainsaw 20" for sale on Criagslist for $200. I am waiting to see what the serial number is to help ID it. Is this something that any of you may be able to ballpark the age or once I do get the serial number, how is it compiled to designate the year?

Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance.

R/C Pilot

R/C Pilot

ArboristSite Operative
I am just finishing up a 480 CD w/20" bar for a friend of mine. I think they came out in 1979. I'm still trying to find 1 nylon chain guide and haven't been having much luck. Its a great running saw and has the same bore and stroke as my MS 460.

garyischofield

garyischofield

ArboristSite Operative
rock solid

I've owned a dozen 480's.They are heavy by today's standards but they are a rock solid saw.Very durable.$200 for a nice one is money well spent.

TeeMan

TeeMan

ArboristSite Operative
After thinking about it a couple of more days, I decided a newer saw and one with a brake is better fit for the long run...still have not decided on one yet.

moody
M

moody

You've broken the second biggest rule we have. Never pass up a good deal on old school muscle . :wink2: but safety first . In that price range I'd get in touch with a site sponsor. They can get you set up with something quality.

TeeMan

TeeMan

ArboristSite Operative
It was a pretty good deal I feel...but just thinking down the line if issues do arise from it, finding parts could be tricky. Not having the brake is also a concern of mine. That was a lot of old muscle though from the research I did on it...that saw could be older than me!

Latest posts