Husqvarna 50/51/55 - Meteor P&C Performance Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my Meteor kit today and started right out with a little porting. Widened the intake and exhaust as much as I felt I could, and hogged out those transfers. Came out very nice, but had some chipping of the coating. I did chamfer the ports, but wonder if I need to go back in and clean up those chips in the coating?? Any thoughts?
IMG_2378.jpg
Transfers before... IMG_2395.jpg
After photos IMG_2382.jpg
This one shows the transfers before and after (mostly, did some more grinding after that) IMG_2385.jpg
I'm bummed about the coating chipping. But, overall, I think it came out pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_2387.jpg
    IMG_2387.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2394.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
I got my Meteor kit today and started right out with a little porting. Widened the intake and exhaust as much as I felt I could, and hogged out those transfers. Came out very nice, but had some chipping of the coating. I did chamfer the ports, but wonder if I need to go back in and clean up those chips in the coating?? Any thoughts?
View attachment 423574
Transfers before... View attachment 423575
After photos View attachment 423576
This one shows the transfers before and after (mostly, did some more grinding after that) View attachment 423577
I'm bummed about the coating chipping. But, overall, I think it came out pretty good.

A few more photos...IMG_2393.jpg IMG_2370.jpg IMG_2373.jpg IMG_2374.jpg IMG_2387.jpg

Actually, I just took a diamond bit (not one of the raspier double cut carbides, which chipped it up in the first place) and smoothed down all the edges very carefully. I also took a piece of sandpaper on a split bit (as used in other threads to remove buildup) and gave her a sanding. It looked like it was lightly honed if at all, so I figured I was doing double duty. It is all back together now, sans base gasket, and I am waiting for the gasket sealant to harden up before I start her up. I figure I should wait til tomorrow for that. That saw is not coming apart for a while now, I hope!! Seems like it has a ton of compression already.

Any ideas on why the coating chipped up like that? I didn't have that problem with the OEM cylinder. This is only my second port job, so if I'm doing something wrong I'd like to know what it is!

Out of curiosity, what was the final squish with the base gasket deleted?

Joe

I gotta check, but the squish on Four Paws kit was pretty high - .062 with the gasket. I will check mine one of these days... I wanna see if it self destructs with that coating issue first!

Yep. That coating is applied via electroplating. Deficient/incomplete surface prep (cylinder walls) would cause the nickel/silicon/carbide to not adhere properly.
The surface under the plating doesn't look like it has been cleaned/etched/prepped very well.darker/corroded surface than the rest of the cylinder surface.they probably skip the extra cleaning step until after the plating process.

Yeah, it is quite lifted up. Too bad. I ran it today. We'll see how long it goes.

Anyone else had problems with coating chipping off like this?

Visualize those transfers with a piston in the jug, effectively providing the bottom of the uper transfer port. Cross sectional area is significantly reduced.

The transfers will back flow for the first 8-12° of duration after the piston initially uncovers them. They will not start to fill the cylinder with fresh fuel until the piston has uncovered nearly half of the transfer port.

The Meteor kit doesn't look like it would perform any better than an open port cylinder would

Hi there,
Is there any news on that ?
Does the cp Meteor Kit outrun a stock op 55 ? Does it, once ported ?
Has anyone testet it against Poulan Pro 325 or Partner 5500 ? Maybe there is something in the side feeding ?
I've got a P 5500 without with bad piston, (P&C is kolbenschmidt btw, not mahle), a Jonsered 590 cylinder without piston and some P5000 cylinders.
I didn't test the 5500 yet, but the 5000+ outruns the my Partner 540 by far. The 540 is open port like the husky 55, but has a smaller chamber and no decomp (i've never measured timing, so no comment on that :-D).
If the CP Kit is an improvement or a good basis for porting, i would upgrade the 540. If not, i better try to get pistons for the bigger "real" closed port cylinders.
Unfortunately, it's hard to get windowed pistons in 44, 45, and 46 mm here in Germany. They are available, but only in north america. No shipping to Europe.
Max

Latest posts

Back