closed port 50 51 55 saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gray top 40

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi guys, was wondering if anyone has used the hyway closed port c/p on a 50 51 55 series saw. and if it was a better runner than the 46mm open port? considering doing this and wanted to know if anyone has. thanks, gray top 40

I put a Hyway closed port kit on a 51 body and it was a great success, stronger than an open port and about the same as a stock 45mm closed port. The weak spot was excessive squish. I had significant material removed from the cylinder base so I could still use a gasket. It had high compression right from the start. I did not have it long enough to know how it broke in. Soon after I built it I showed it to a tree guy who had come to buy a 288. He took my new 55 too. I would do it again, but the cost is quite a bit higher than it was when I got mine from HL supply on a good sale.

I put a Hyway closed port kit on a 51 body and it was a great success, stronger than an open port and about the same as a stock 45mm closed port. The weak spot was excessive squish. I had significant material removed from the cylinder base so I could still use a gasket. It had high compression right from the start. I did not have it long enough to know how it broke in. Soon after I built it I showed it to a tree guy who had come to buy a 288. He took my new 55 too. I would do it again, but the cost is quite a bit higher than it was when I got mine from HL supply on a good sale.
thanks, great info gray top 40

Back