Husqvarna 50 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCF250sd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a gray top husqvarna 50. It’s in great condition, but he’s having a hard time starting it due to great compression. He’s in his late 70’s and wants a decompression valve put on it so he can start it easier. Cylinder did not come with one. Will an aftermarket 51/55 rancher top end bolt up that has a deco valve?

A friend of mine has a gray top husqvarna 50. It’s in great condition, but he’s having a hard time starting it due to great compression. He’s in his late 70’s and wants a decompression valve put on it so he can start it easier. Cylinder did not come with one. Will an aftermarket 51/55 rancher top end bolt up that has a deco valve?

What color is the ID tag? If it's silver, it might not fit without modification. If it's a later black tag saw, it should fit. I have a silver tag I bought new in 86. It's not that hard to pull over. Could something be wrong with his saw?

What color is the ID tag? If it's silver, it might not fit without modification. If it's a later black tag saw, it should fit. I have a silver tag I bought new in 86. It's not that hard to pull over. Could something be wrong with his saw?
Not sure of the color of the ID tag but I’ll have my friend look at it. I did have him pull the spark plug and exhaust. Pulled over fine with the spark plug removed and the screen in the exhaust was clean. I honestly think he just doesn’t have the strength to pull it over anymore.

Even if your model of 50 will accept the 55 cylinder, there is a good chance you will have clearance issues with the chain brake handle. The early ones sit back far enough where they pivot to cover up the decomp button, and will actually hold it in the open position. There's also the fact that the cylinders worth buying will put you into a price range where you would be better off selling the 50 and looking for another saw.

I would suggest he trade it in on a model that has the features he wants. Or sell and buy.

I
Even if your model of 50 will accept the 55 cylinder, there is a good chance you will have clearance issues with the chain brake handle. The early ones sit back far enough where they pivot to cover up the decomp button, and will actually hold it in the open position. There's also the fact that the cylinders worth buying will put you into a price range where you would be better off selling the 50 and looking for another saw.

I have an old silver tag 50 with the original cylinder. I bought a later model black tag with a bad cylinder. I put a used 55 decomp cylinder and a new meteor piston in it. It fits perfect. The top cover touched the stem of the decomp, I marked the cover and filed a small notch with a round file. It works perfectly.

I had a 50 to repair, pulled the piston, something had gotten inside the cylinder and actually bent the front of the piston causing the ring to stick and no compression. I ordered a 46mm cylinder and piston to replace it. Everything I looked at said it would fit the Husq 50. Guess what, got it in and no it wouldn't fit into the crankcase so ended up ordering a 44mm piston kit, got it, wrist pin wouldn't fit in the piston, extremely close tolerance. Took the ring from the kit, installed it on the original piston, after cleaning up the groove to allow the ring to move freely. Put it all back together and it started on the 4th pull and ran great! So now I have a couple of 46mm cylinders with pistons, Not sure what they fit even though when I bought them, they were supposed to fit. Gotta love it!!

I have accumulated about the same amount of chronological enhancement as the OP's friend and I understand said friend's frustration. I cannot address the original question, but my 2¢ is to get a new saw. There are so many easy-to-start saws out there. Maybe consider (gasp) electric.

I have accumulated about the same amount of chronological enhancement as the OP's friend and I understand said friend's frustration. I cannot address the original question, but my 2¢ is to get a new saw. There are so many easy-to-start saws out there. Maybe consider (gasp) electric.
I actually have a Kobalt 40V saw and love it. I know I can't cut wood for the winter with it, well not with any speed anyway, I just love it for branches and such that fall or are blown down. Use it when bush hogging, keep it behind the seat to clear limbs and such from the fence rows.

Aftermarket

I see. I was interested in buying one if OEM. The 50 went through a couple changes during it's production. White top, grey top, silver ID tag and black tag. I have read that a 46mm won't fit a silver tag crankcase without some grinding. I have a black tag one and the 46mm OEM cylinder fits perfect on it. Which one are you working with?

The 50 is a good little saw. I have 2. One with the original 44mm cylinder and one with a 46mm OEM cylinder. They both start easy and run great.

Back