Husqvarna 55 p/c problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you guys that have this saw running .325 or 3/8 chains on this saw ?
We ran .325 because I already had 3 new loops of Stihl RS. Squared one of 'em up.

Comparison of OP and CP, same bottom end, bar/chain and log. We just swapped out piston and cylinder.

Also noticed I listed CP squish at .030 with the gasket delete.

I have found that those saws are very happy with 18" .325" set-ups, whether closed or open port. Both of mine are closed port, and they see a LOT of use here limbing and cutting tops. Despite the slightly smaller piston the closed port models are noticeably stronger than the open port, but the open port have a smooth/broad/flat power curve in comparison. The closed port love high rpm's and are a bit "peaky", but still great firewood saws if you can nail down a good one.

Some of the open port Rancher models came with 3/8" and 20" bars, but those saws really don't have the umph to effectively manage that deal.....IMHO.....Cliff

The 51 is 45mm; the open port 55 (rancher) is 46mm; the closed port Mahle 55 is 45mm; and then there's the hiway closed port 55, which is 46.

I've got a 55 on my shelf, that has a 55 rancher cover, BUT.....the cylinder says Mahle. Does that mean it's a closed port 55? If so, is it a closed port Rancher, or does it just have a rancher starter cover? I know it was being used as a parts saw, because it has several little things missing, including the starter handle. So I guess it's possible that they just robbed the whole cover and stuck the one with a broken chord back on it???

To be sure, pull the cylinder and take a peek. There is a pic of a closed port earlier in this thread. My guess is if yours has been sitting on the shelf that long, it probably needs the intake boot replaced along with the fuel lines anyway if you plan to restore it. What year model is it ? There are lots of these saws(closed port) sitting under shelves because OEM pistons and cylinders NLA.

I have found that those saws are very happy with 18" .325" set-ups, whether closed or open port. Both of mine are closed port, and they see a LOT of use here limbing and cutting tops. Despite the slightly smaller piston the closed port models are noticeably stronger than the open port, but the open port have a smooth/broad/flat power curve in comparison. The closed port love high rpm's and are a bit "peaky", but still great firewood saws if you can nail down a good one.

Some of the open port Rancher models came with 3/8" and 20" bars, but those saws really don't have the umph to effectively manage that deal.....IMHO.....Cliff

Found a small mount Husky .325 bar yesterday and a couple chains. Waiting on the .325 rim to get here. Cliff, have you ever had a tach on your closed port 55 to check the no load WOT ?

To be sure, pull the cylinder and take a peek. There is a pic of a closed port earlier in this thread. My guess is if yours has been sitting on the shelf that long, it probably needs the intake boot replaced along with the fuel lines anyway if you plan to restore it. What year model is it ? There are lots of these saws(closed port) sitting under shelves because OEM pistons and cylinders NLA.

I actually don't know how long it's been sitting. I got it from a logger buddy, back in the spring to use for parts. I was rebuilding my grandpas old model 50 and asked if he had any 50-51-55 parts saws and got it from him. Story was that it was a fairly new saw and the trim crew had it and then one day it just powered out. He assumed it was blown up and they robber a few misc parts from it. Anyway after I got it home I noticed that the cylinder was covered in oil and stuff like it had sprayed direct out of the plug area. Turns out they had apparently cross-threaded the spark plug and it ran until it built too much pressure and popped. Pulled the muffler and everything looks slick as a whistle! Just gotta tap the threads and get some Chinese parts and it should be ready to go :D

How to I tell what year it was made? I plan on pulling the jug to fix/port it this winter. Then I'll know what it is for sure. It doesn't have a de-comp so I've always assumed it was in fact a 55 Rancher.

Fifth week of 05.

One of my CP55s is an 00, but I believe that was about the end year.

And I want Cliff to answer that question too. My sense is that the the closed-port model revs up faster, not that it runs much faster in or out of the cut. And while I too am fascinated with the closed-port 55, the open-port versions also can run very well.

Latest posts

Back