Husqvarna 55 Sprocket and Spark Plug Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgtr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My old 55 (similar to 55 Rancher) from 2001 has the 2 piece type of sprocket that slides in and out on the splined clutch shaft. Once in a while if the chain is out of the sprocket or whatever - there's actually enough space around the sprocket that the chain can sometimes fall partially inside that area and not be in the sprocket itself (if that makes sense). It's no biggee usually - I just need to pay attention that the chain is actually 'in' the sprocket before tightening and not wedged to either side of it. Is that normal that there would be that much shaft space for the sprocket to slide on? If so - why did they design it w/ so much space? It's the original sprocket/clutch and OE type chain.

The OEM spark plug is the Champion RCJ7Y. Stay with that? Or is there another popular plug option members on the forum like? Perhaps one that offers improved ease of starting?

(I think I happen to have a new spare Denso W20MU which should match except it's not a resistor type).

Thanks,

That's a rim sprocket and needs changed at times from ware. Its ment to float so chain can stay centered when in use.
I would switch to an NGK plug as I've never had good luck with Champions and have seen them be the root of issues.
If the sprocket look like this it needs changed. NGK plug.1512236637332331886869.jpg

Some rim sprocket saws have more clearance than others. I had one that the chain likes to sit on one side like that so you need to pay attention that imthe drive links sit into the sprocket when setting up the new chain.

I always buy NGK plugs when replacing but I do not replace plugs unless needed.

I've had excellent experience with NGKs in my cars including my old Mazda rotaries way back in the day. But NGK's site is pretty underwhelming. When I look up Husqvarna 55 it croaks. And they don't have a cross reference function that I can find either.

But when I use popular aftermarket spark plug look up sites - the NGK BPMR7A does appear to the most popular one in reference to the Champ RCJ7Y.

I don't think my sproket is quite that worn but it will get there - I cut in a pure sand environment - so it's pretty unavoidable it will get in there to some degree (ought to see my blades on my mower deck)

thanks for the NGK reference.

Back