Husqvarna 59 or 357xp????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly cutting hardwoods (maple, ash) and never to to big just getting through the big ones with my 20" Mcculloch. I'm kinda leaning towards the 359 but I'm getting great info on this decision thanks!!

Well I am on the red side of the fence. Last spring I bought a 2156 cwh. Then my brother bought a used 2159 off of epay. I was running a 20" gb bar 3/8 58ga. He is running a 20" Carlton pro champ 3/8 50 ga. :censored: He is slightly faster cutting through the same wood. Needless to say I am kinda ticked off. All that extra money and no faster.:buttkick: But I have just got a Carlton 3/8 50 from Baileys but haven't tried it out yet. I wish now that I had gotten the 2159.

But I did get a 2171 two months ago and love it. It is 1.5lbs heaver but it cuts so much faster I don't notice it:clap:

Billy

Thanks for all the posts guys! The oiler had been giving me fits becuase it was getting plugged up with all the crap on these frozen snow covered ash logs! I just want a easier to maintain saw (changing chains,etc...) than what the ProMac 700 is but want similar power. Also, I want the lightest saw I can because I'm not the strongest mf out there either and that Promac wears you down after a long day with it! My husky 51 is a 1997 and lacks the power I need especially now that I put in a Central Boiler 5036! To be honest I haven't even considered the 372xp till some of you started to mention, thanks again!!:clap:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ProMac 700
Husky 51
1951 Disston Da-211 2man chainsaw
Homemade Woodsplitter
Central Boiler 5036

If you have to feed an OWB you better take a real hard look at a 372: the 357 is a great saw but for the OWB's bigger wood is where its at, and in bigger wood the 372 owns the 357 (and the 1.5lb thing is not that big of a deal)

Well I am on the red side of the fence. Last spring I bought a 2156 cwh. Then my brother bought a used 2159 off of epay. I was running a 20" gb bar 3/8 58ga. He is running a 20" Carlton pro champ 3/8 50 ga. :censored: He is slightly faster cutting through the same wood. Needless to say I am kinda ticked off. All that extra money and no faster.:buttkick: But I have just got a Carlton 3/8 50 from Baileys but haven't tried it out yet. I wish now that I had gotten the 2159.

But I did get a 2171 two months ago and love it. It is 1.5lbs heaver but it cuts so much faster I don't notice it:clap:

Billy

Change out that cat muffler, and reset the carb.

Brand of bar, or .050 vs. .058, has nothing to do with it - but different models of chain, and how well they are sharpened will make a difference.

If you want to compare two saws, use the same chain on both. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Saw Troll

I did change out the muffler a week after I found this site about three weeks after I bought the saw. Now we both have the exact same bar/chain combo. Next time we get to the farm we will see how it goes:greenchainsaw: Now that I have the sound hooked up on the computer I will do a search on tuning and make sure both saws are tuned right. Since I am not quite sure on tuning I have been having a friend that works at a tractor/husky dealer tune the saws. I do know both plugs look right on as I check them.

Billy

If I didn't ever cut anything larger than 20" my 359 would have been my biggest saw. I bought the 372 to cut down, buck and noodle the big trees but I also use it on stuff down to about 8" unless I just happen to have my 359 handy.

I own both the 372 and 357 and it's a big difference in power in the two and a very real weight difference ,,,
I don't take the 372 to the woods if don't have too but i like power when i need it, if you have to lug the saw all day in the woods every ounce counts in my book !!

I just throw the saws in the back of the mule and pull out the best one for what I am cutting. As I have lots of trails I am building I have a bunch of trees knocked down along them.

IMG_0606.JPG

Billy

Does the 2156 have a compensating carb?

The 2159 is a larger engine with a compensating carb. From what I understand it's kind of like Stihl's intellicarb-It balances or adjusts itself for barometric/temperature changes. Maybe this has a slight edge?

I own both the 372 and 357 and it's a big difference in power in the two and a very real weight difference ,,,
I don't take the 372 to the woods if don't have too but i like power when i need it, if you have to lug the saw all day in the woods every ounce counts in my book !!

Update your signature..... :givebeer:

The 2159 is a larger engine with a compensating carb. From what I understand it's kind of like Stihl's intellicarb-It balances or adjusts itself for barometric/temperature changes. Maybe this has a slight edge?

I don't think it really matters as long as the air filter is reasonably clean (usually is on those saws) - as I remember it, it was first introduced on the 2156, but I don't think they still use it - may be wrong though......

I posted in the commercial forum, but I have a 357xp if anyone is interested for a trade. I was looking for a 372xp or stihl 460. If anyone has anything, let me know and i'll email some pics.

I just cut 2 cord of oak with a brand new 357xp 18 inch bar stihl rmc chain,and i have to say this is my favorite firewood saw and yes ive had a 372xp,359,361 and a 5100 all within the past 6 months. it just feels right I wish i would have bought this saw first. My brother also liked it so much he is going to order the red one 2156.

I just cut 2 cord of oak with a brand new 357xp 18 inch bar stihl rmc chain,and i have to say this is my favorite firewood saw and yes ive had a 372xp,359,361 and a 5100 all within the past 6 months. it just feels right I wish i would have bought this saw first. My brother also liked it so much he is going to order the red one 2156.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but why are you now selling your new 357XP?

I'm interested to hear you mention of the self-adjusting carb on the Jonsered, as I've asked about this a few times on the forum here, and in the end I felt like an idiot for listening to the Jonsered Rep....he told me the 2186 had this feature but others told me it didn't. What gives? Sorry about the thread- hijack.

Back