Husqvarna Autotune Diagnostic Software

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do all service in house. We don't take things to the dealers. Hence why we bought the tool.

We do all service in house. We don't take things to the dealers. Hence why we bought the tool.
Yep, I read the thread and get it. The tests the tool does are very basic, been using it for years. Physical diagnostics are still utilized first (pressure/vac, visual and compression) and then when warranty is needed Husky will request the diagnostic info. Other than that, flashing new units like I stated.

So if I want to replace carbs, coils, etc I can't do it. Dumb. I don't want to take it to the dealer.

Couple of things with CST, first it is a dealer only tool. It's an old style "terminal to host" arrangement where to have access you first have to get the basic box, plugs, and front end software for your shop. To log in the dealer will have a password to access the Husqvarna site to get into the CST in a useful way. What it reads is a little information that is deposited on a chip in the Autotune system, That includes things like the current mixture settings, and run time history. Thing like how long in the different situations such as idle and full throttle are quantified and displayed. Error codes as well. And some subtle things like how many start ago the error codes were thrown. Carb temps, stuff like that. Now while they in of themselves don't diagnose and put this big azzz sign on the screen telling you exactly what is wrong, its very useful supporting data that can confirm or deny a speculation u might have. NOT going to replace things like compression tests, brake clean or other leak down tests, checking spark etc. It will absolutely help in concert with the basics hone in on a diagnosis. And point you to the next step in testing or repair...fast. I have used the stuff now for a few years at and for a local dealer and it helps in many ways, from seeing the effects some of my changes make to fuel requirements to actual diagnosis of issues. The problem I see is there are still dealers out there who don't understand what it is and therefore how to use it as a tool both to cut the time in trouble shooting as well as help with a dialog with a customer on what's going on with their saw. VERY valuable for that. A few sample situations I have experienced.....one fellow brings in his saw and complains about it is loading up when he first picks it up to go work. Must be a saw issue. Plug it in and realize it has spent over 90 percent of its run time in idle. Kind of a clue. Another comes in with lean like symptoms in his mind....plug it in and see the carb settings...fun lean. Carb issues?? No, it was tuning around a toasted top end trying to get some power buy leaning itself to get max RPM. Same with another guy complaining about loss of power. Of course the totally plugged air filter with what looked like pine tar was a clue, and then to CST where the mixture was in the triple digits. So it may not produce a bill board , it certainly adds to the set of tools the tech has to both diagnose and interact with the customer.

Another point....is once a carb is flashed with an ignition system, you can pull it off and put it back on without having to flash it. That system , ignition/carb should be kept together. But all the dealer needs to flash that carb is the numbers off what ever ignition you will pair is up with. So doing carb kits , or fuel line upgrades and the like don't require a "re flashing" of the system. AND if you buy the ignition or carb from the dealer anyway, while u are there have them flash that carb with the new numbers...assuming they are different. The ONLY thing that effects the autotune firmware requirements is the changing the pairing of carb and ignition. Nothing about pulling the carb and ignition and putting it back on to say, another completely different saw required flashing. Things like building your old saw around a new set of cases doesn't require flashing with new firm ware if you use the same carb and ignition . Point is what really are the limitations for a home DIY type? Not as much as folks would want to argue

I really dont understand the need to have the software. It's part of the emission control system of the saw. The EPA says no untrained people may have it. That means you have to use the dealer. I've had autotune saws for nearly 10 years. Never once needed the software my self. The good dealer across town doesnt charge an outrageous fee to program a carb, which I haven't yet needed to do. It still all boils down to basic troubleshooting. The autotune can compensate for a lot, but isn't magic and the saw still runs goofy if something is up.

Latest posts

Back