Husqvarna L77 Fuel Mixture Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohlen C

Reaction score
Hello everyone! New guy here. I'm hoping to pick the brains of some of the experienced chainsaw mechanics in here.

A few years ago, I resurrected an old saw that had been floating around the farm. (Broken fuel pickup, starter spring) It is a Husqvarna L77 SN#1029915. I don't even know how old this saw is, but I do know that parts are hard to find, if you can find them at all.

This saw has always been hard to impossible to restart once it has sat for a few minutes while hot. After reading and watching about carb adjustments on chainsaws, I noticed that when free running at WOT the saw quickly gets to operating speed and starts out 4 stroking, then quickly the rpms go up and the saw is running too lean after, maybe, 5 sec. of WOT.

The other day I noticed the muffler was wet after a few pulls when I was trying to get it started again. The saw had sat 5 - 10 minutes on the ground after ~15 minutes of use. I thought that there were 2 likely candidates, the fuel air vent, and the diaphragm needle. I blew into the tank vent hose and it was difficult to move air in any direction, so I removed the valve. I noticed a hole in the top and stuck a wire in it. This loosened the ball again, but it would not stay loose. I then took a nail and ground it down so that I could use it as a punch and back out the spring pin. I tried to locate any obstructions, but was unable to keep the ball from getting stuck at the end. Then I dropped the ball, and that ended that. I put a small piece of shop towel into the valve and reassembled it. I could blow through the valve without much difficulty, so I started the saw to see what would happen. The saw idled beautifully, but when I went WOT it 4 stroked for a few seconds then the RPMs started increasing and the saw was soon in a lean condition. I removed the fuel hose and could blow into it easily, then I took off the top of the carburetor. I noticed what seemed a lot of sawdust in there, so I sprayed it out with carb cleaner and tried starting the saw again. The saw now 4 stroked for a good 9-10 seconds before it again started picking up speed and running lean. I removed the diaphragm side and everything seemed clean on this side. I sprayed out the seats and orifices anyway in case there was something I was missing. Same symptoms.

On making the carb adjustments.

The low speed needle seemed normal. If the screw is adjusted too far in either direction, the saw won’t run. I adjusted for highest speed then made it a little rich.

The high speed valve will stop the saw quickly when closed. I can’t make the saw stop by adjusting the screw all the way out. From ~1 1/2 to all the way out, there is no discernable difference to me. I can set it where it just starts 4 stroking at WOT, and it stays there a few seconds then leans out and the engine races.

Is this normal? Is there an obstruction I might be missing? What should I try next?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Greets to you, New Guy.

I'd start by checking for an air leak. Check the carb boot/flange/mount to see that you have a good seal and that any gaskets are still good to go. If not, replace them by making news ones or locating NOS ones. Next, you'll want to do a pressure/vac test on your engine to see if your crank seals are still good .... there's plenty of threads around here to tell you how to do that.

Post back your results and any applicable photos.

:givebeer:

I don't have a compression tester, but I might be able to get my hands on one. I can say that this saw is no slouch to pull. You can't be gentle about it, or try and pull it slowly. You have to get a running start. :)

The carb. to heat spacer to engine seals all seem in great shape, but I don't know how to definitively prove it.

Compression tester is used for that purpose, not for pressure/vac ... a brake bleeder pump can be used for pressure (cheap at HFT) and converted to test vac. Member sef3 has a way to do that conversion.

Test the boot/flange/mount by spraying WD40 on it when the saw starts to sound 'leaning out' ... if it begins to return to 'normal' you are on the right track.

Last edited:
Back