Husqvarna Rancher 460, easy to use, starts easy reliable, but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamarack56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Notice its 60 cc's but only rated at only 3.7 HP. They probably didn't wind it up all the way for maximum power. They wanted to design a reliable good running, easy to use saw that you really can't do anything wrong with. I also own a Stihl ms 441. Its a power house, it will pull a 32" bar easily and has enough torque to spin the chain just barely above an idle. Yet this saw is only 10 more cc's. Case in point, last week I took both saw to do some clean up work. Figuring I'd start with the 441, pulled it out, tried to start it fast, I flooded it, wouldn't start, no tools with me to pull the plug. I was figuring I'd do a fast job and get it done. Glad I brought the Rancher 460 as a backup, it got the job done. Nothing against Stihl, its just you really need to know what you are doing 100% of the time, the saw was new too me. I now know how to start it but it took a learning curve.

Last edited:
Stihl saws are typically easy to start as long as you take them off the choke position right after they first pop or cough. Husky 460: a little heavy for the power, but reliability makes it a keeper.

The 460 rancher is a good saw. I had one for a few months. It is a little heavy for the power and has quite a few vibrations but definitely a good landowner saw. It will pull 84dl's if you need it to. Eventually I traded up for a 562xp... It is a pleasure to use... No regrets!

Last edited:
Notice its 60 cc's but only rated at only 3.7 HP. They probably didn't wind it up all the way for maximum power. They wanted to design a reliable good running, easy to use saw that you really can't do anything wrong with. I also own a Stihl ms 441. Its a power house, it will pull a 32" bar easily and has enough torque to spin the chain just barely above an idle. Yet this saw is only 10 more cc's. Case in point, last week I took both saw to do some clean up work. Figuring I'd start with the 441, pulled it out, tried to start it fast, I flooded it, wouldn't start, no tools with me to pull the plug. I was figuring I'd do a fast job and get it done. Glad I brought the Rancher 460 as a backup, it got the job done. Nothing against Stihl, its just you really need to know what you are doing 100% of the time, the saw was new too me. I now know how to start it but it took a learning curve.

Torque has nothing to do with your chain moving at idle, too lean of a low mixture does.

Tamarack means that he can accelerate the saw from idle while touching wood. He should try a MS 441 R C-M. There is no full choke, half choke routine. There is only off, on, and start. They are very difficult to flood because of the semi-automatic choke.

[video=youtube_share;iMj5ticEz7g]http://youtu.be/iMj5ticEz7g[/video]

460 isn't a bad saw, but it is a lower grade saw.

357xp, 359, 555, 562xp would all be a better choice in a 60cc saw.

Thanks guys, all good discussions

Once learning the Stihl starting routine, its no longer an issue. I did see the youtube video before this, I was wondering what was up with that, mine wasn't like that. Stihl and Husqvarna are both my favorites although I have never tried the Pro XP Husky line, I believe it must be good based on my rancher.

I can't tell if this is rhetorical, or even if there is a question present. If not, they are both good, but very different saws. Stihl's are easy to flood of u'r not careful.

I did a little headwork (porting) to my 460R and the thing outcuts with 20-24" bar) most 70cc+ stiel saws Ive used/owned.

I see your problem, you are using one of those Chinese Stihl knockoffs. It's a dead giveaway when you see Stiel on the side of the saw.:msp_wink:

Back