Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chainsaw vs bandsaw pros/cons has been bantered about everywhere you look ad nauseum. My choice was pretty easy...$30,000-$40,000 or $400-$1000. Large slabbing capacity gets very expensive when going the bandmill route. Plus, if I get the urge to treat a small log "delicately", I have a buddy less than 40 miles away.

Chainsaw vs bandsaw pros/cons has been bantered about everywhere you look ad nauseum. My choice was pretty easy...$30,000-$40,000 or $400-$1000. Large slabbing capacity gets very expensive when going the bandmill route. Plus, if I get the urge to treat a small log "delicately", I have a buddy less than 40 miles away.

What he said...

Ok, its about time I said this.. I think ya'll need to get your heads checked with this chainsaw milling stuff. Though I do believe chainsaw milling has its place, especially due to portability issues (and size... you can cut with nearly unlimited bar sizes), if you guys are really wanting to be into milling, a 660 isn't gonna do the trick. I love chainsaws, I love my big saws, but I avoid milling with them. No matter how big they are, they still aren't big enough to compare to a severely underpowered cheap bandsaw mill. The bandsaw mills (even the HF one) beats out the chainsaws in speed, quality of cut, fuel consumption, time ... and dare I say it... FUN. So for all ya'll that think a 660 is gonna be the ticket to milling nice boards, at least TRY a bandsaw mill. My mill is one of those rare things in life that is exactly as much fun as I possibly imagined, and its WAY less maintenance than a 660 and grandberg? setup. Just to do the math for a sec... a chainsaw cuts a kerf of 3/8" or larger.... maybe close to 1/2" ... 8hp cutting that kerf. Now imagine a bandsaw cuts a kerf of 1/8" ... even if you only have a 7hp motor on your bandsaw...its still effectively triple the power of the chainsaw, and way less wasteful. I have never used the HF mill, but is less than $2k. My woodland mills mill is $3k...an upgrade. Well worth it IMHO. best of luck milling with the 660's ... Johnny's wood there does look pretty :)
Get back to me on the price for a 4' and a 5' capacity bandmill and we'll talk.

Again, get back to me on the all in cost to build a large capacity band mill...I suspect you will be shocked since you think it can compare with chainsaw mill cost. Go back and review what Matthew Cremona spent on his.

#1, Matt C is my new hero. #2, I don't exactly know what his motivation was to do a bandmill like that, but I gotta imagine he was just a bit frustrated with chainsaw milling. Hell, even Wranglerstar got himself a mill (lucas mill)....and he's been doing chainsaw milling for a while. Frustration with the mills has got to be at least part of the driving force towards ...and look what Matt built! If it was easy to use the chainsaw mills, Matt wouldn't have bothered making that monstrosity!

Like I said in my original post, the portability of a chainsaw mill is a plus, as is in initial investment cost. However, based on the fact that smaller mills are relatively inexpensive at this point (not 30k+) I think inexpensive bandsaw mills need to be seriously looked at if someone is mildly serious about milling... ie... Woodland Mills hm130 ...$4000. Their biggest mill. Though this is a significant cost compared to the initial investment of a chainsaw mill/equipment, I think if you are milling boards the $$ will wash very quickly. For slabbin huge pieces, ok. But the chains, fuel, time etc you are gonna expend is gonna be very significant. If you want to do dimensional lumber, a chainsaw mill is gonna get old in a hurry. So for those guys expecting they are gonna get a 660 and just go for it ... I think they are in for some disappointment and frustration.... assuming the saw performs as it should.

Ozhoo, thanks for confirming the 440 and 660 are same thread...that's very helpful. When I get my 440 project I'll likely be using my adapters to put the case together :)

Maybe you have a better search engine than I use. Find the best price on a 50" throat band mill and let me know. Did you get that cost figure on Matthew's home built mill yet? I've been following Matthew for over a year now and let me tell you it was a huge cost in materials alone and he already had the variable frequency speed controller for that 10 hp electric motor iirc. My purpose is to slab 32" to 50"+ oak. The $4000 mill you refer to that reports "30" log diameter capability" has a 22" throat that can effectively handle 20" slabbing on very straight logs and maybe 15" on real world logs I see...no where near the needed capabilities we are talking about here. That Lucas mill, which Wranglestar did not buy but was placed for promo purposes, can slab nicely for $6,000 more with a chainsaw conversion(pic below). That's a considerable additional cost above the swingblade setup ($13,500) which has very limited slabbing capabilities even on their largest mill (20" max iirc). You can also get the 60" Lucas slabber stand alone for $9,000. KISS means more that "Simple" for me ...I add "Soft" on the pocket book when I think KISS. Keep It Simple & Soft LOL
17264632_1412373315486183_3258323603632423384_n.jpg

I know very little about milling. But I've seen a few tables that a guy did with a chainsaw mill and they looked amazing. The right chain angles also makes a difference. There's always the Honduran Way

I know very little about milling. But I've seen a few tables that a guy did with a chainsaw mill and they looked amazing. The right chain angles also makes a difference. There's always the Honduran Way

What is he following? Looks like thick black chalk lines or something. Holding just the back of the saw must make it easier for the saw blade to keep close as possible to 90 degrees? Crazy!

LOL, I use to spend way too much time watching these guys mill lumber free hand with what looks like 070's and hard nose bars. Would'nt want to arm wrestle with any of them!

Latest posts

Back