Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder how well they'll Stand up to extra power and rpm's. I seen a few guys runing them I'm mills so they might be ok.

I think getting them running and debugged first might be a victory...:) Then tactically upgrading as the folks learn what they have before going to hot rod might make sense. Think of all the raw data that's being on display on first the acquisition, then the builds. Once that path to a running and successful build has been done maybe another thread on "Stage Two"? Two directions in my mind, first doing the conventional things to the as delivered parts, then trying the BB route. Maybe multiple brands to see which ones allow for modification. Tell you what, the first cylinder manufacturer that adds .025 to the exhaust port floor of the 56mm cylinders as compared to the ones I have will open up a pile of compression based modification options. Right now because the 56mm won't fit down in the case opening, the piston is shorter..... meaning the intake timing is already tweaked but also means lowering the cylinder exacerbates a inherent free port issue because of that short piston...:) And that is all before messing with the transfers to help RPM potential.

heh, well... personally, i didn't send my money to china to help them grow their company. I sent it there because their product met my needs for roughly 20% the price of the local counterpart. At that level of discount, I almost expect them not to replace any small missing parts. I wonder how much profit they end up with on each of these kits given that they keep having to mail extra packages from China.

To this conversation, a couple of things. From what I can see, they (Huztl) are a repair/spare parts focused company, not a saw manufacturing focused company. The way they are configured is to get parts from either their own manufacturing and / or others and present what they have to the saw repair community. Like all in that business model they don't order or think "complete saw", they offer the spare parts as a menu and some sell faster than others .. they statistically try to keep them in stock, but like all in that configuration handling multiple products, brands and models; there will be time they don't have every little part to complete a saw. My guess that is one reason they quit presenting "complete kits" as an eBay product because it tied up too many parts that were being sold on a piece by piece basis as defined by their main line business! I also suspect they thought about doing "kits" to support the obvious interest and demand, possible from those who do want to manufacture these saws as a business. Probably when the stocks of parts were high, they could offer compete kits until some of the higher volume parts made that impossible....then the "kits" offerings would be taken down off the spare parts offerings until the NEXT delivery cycle. Something to consider. SO by pushing them you are in fact driving them out side their original business model and performance envelope. Just speculation on my part, nothing else and should be interpreted as such.... lets hope we don't make that so far out of their planned business model hassle factor they quit doing packages..:)

Having said that; the fact they are responsive to customer input is ...huge. You guys have a good thing going here with that relationship. Just remember saw manufacturing is a different ball game than repair parts to repair shops and hobby saws..:) Doubt they (Huztl & friends) will ever go there (manufacturing complete saws) as a focus. There are plenty over there in the Farmertec community who will...and some over here who have! Not certain what I think about that. I know I have no plans to be in that business. This started for me to find affordable parts to fix my logging bud's crushed saws and discovered Huztl has a very complete line of parts for "dealer" cost! I'll stay at that level!

One last thought....and a repeat. I Hope & Pray the "keep it cheap" & and fight over a dollar mentality does NOT translate over to PPE's!! Like we used to say in racing....if you have a 10 dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet! Especially the newbie's to big saws!
I agree with that statement and to add to it IMHO more can be said. Ive noticed also that people need to remember that PPE's are there for when a real accident that was unforeseen happens. I see far too often that people that wear PPE's act reckless with a saw because "They are wearing their PPE" . Having safety gear on does not mean you get a free pass to act like you've never picked up a saw before. That being said growing up we didn't have PPE. I used huge macs and homelites when I was 12 years old under the guidance of my father. Now being older I wear PPE but I act like its not there, which I believe is the key.

@weimedog you know farmertec is huztl, your posts don't make that clear you know? they are not different companies, but only ebay names and they have at least 3 different ebay names, i guess depending on what part of the world their focus is. machinedoctor is maybe europe and the other starts with an L in Asia area

I got my missing shutter today, you can see the cowl in post#346 where this fits in. You can go to your local sthil dealer and pick the shutter up for about $3. The foil set will cost 10.36+ tax in nc.

perfect example of using the farmertec kit and using OEM parts, this fit perfectly, was tight meaning an accurate copy

Attachments

• Stihl ms660 shutter.jpg
    Stihl ms660 shutter.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
@weimedog you know farmertec is huztl, your posts don't make that clear you know? they are not different companies, but only ebay names and they have at least 3 different ebay names, i guess depending on what part of the world their focus is. machinedoctor is maybe europe and the other starts with an L in Asia area

I got my missing shutter today, you can see the cowl in post#346 where this fits in. You can go to your local sthil dealer and pick the shutter up for about $3. The foil set will cost 10.36+ tax in nc.

perfect example of using the farmertec kit and using OEM parts, this fit perfectly, was tight meaning an accurate copy
If you followed his channel that is addressed I believe he is using the term "hutzl" as a blanket term for AM. He quite frequently calls the parts just farmertec and that he got them from numerous online ebay stores. Such as his video for the farmer Jones 372 build. If you haven't seen his videos. Channel afleetcommand on YouTube I suggest you head over @weimedog has some great insites to saws and has come up with some great tools to assemble these aftermarket saws.

Ok was that an ad?

I thought it was confusing to read I cleared it up.

If it makes you feel better I saw my first video and when I got done I went and got tattoos of both screen names, I am a fan

One last thought....and a repeat. I Hope & Pray the "keep it cheap" & and fight over a dollar mentality does NOT translate over to PPE's!! Like we used to say in racing....if you have a 10 dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet! Especially the newbie's to big saws!

Trust me, coming from the guy who bought the Stihl crank tools, seal drivers and a 6 pack of saw kits on top of the first single kit, I'm not taking a cheap approach to anything but the parts... While I've not been working on saws in the past I've operated chainsaws since I was a pre-teen.

Ok was that an ad?

I thought it was confusing to read I cleared it up.

If it makes you feel better I saw my first video and when I got done I went and got tattoos of both screen names, I am a fan
Im going to go with you are a Noob to both the saw world and sarcasm... How was my post in any way confusing??? An ad? If going ahead and suggesting that you watch a video of a man that has actually built these saws and has worked out some bugs of the various parts makes it an ad....then ok [emoji1]

I realize Huztl is a part of the Farmertec community. There are several stores on eBay with essentially the same address. Quite aware of that. But here is the rub. Like many companies and or collection of cooperating business entities, they have different sections designed to do different things. Huztl is the label attached to an entity designed to operate a spare parts store. They hope to catch individual customer's such as ourselves and repair shops that don't have OEM sources for brand names they don't have dealerships with as well as developing distribution channels with folks such as Definitive Dave and other online stores. I'm certain within that Farmertec collection of operations they have inside sales as well trying to sell services to OEM's. It's possible the same sales folks wear many hats...but I doubt it. Someone had to work the deal with "Tillotson" to supply the "Blue" Farmertec saws they are threatening to sell...or the other organizations either a part of Farmertec or closely aligned that produce the complete saws that are sold through the Alibaba channels. Hoping you are getting my point certainly not trying to upset anyone. Just I'm an old sales marketing type who sold software tools to companies who wanted to develop and sell graphics applications from video games to Cad/Cam and have a sense on how these companies tend to structure themselves.

( And I really appreciate those who watch & support the YouTube arm of my farm operations! "Afleetcommand" is designed to share little bits of life with my family and friends.....then there is the Rubicon Ridge Farm operations design to sell cattle! LOL )

And as far as my PPE comment. That isn't directed to anyone in particular, just everyone in general. The experienced ones can ignore as they have this under control. AND usually the ones who do have this concept truly understood are self confident & secure enough not to be offended and in fact embrace the iteration and reiterations of safety conversations. Can't cover that topic enough. Just remember we here posting aren't the only ones paying attention and there will be those who come in to peruse & see this as simply a cheap way to get a big saw, with the emphasis on "cheap", its a mind set......without the back ground most here have. I'm speaking to them. The anonymous ones, but if the shoe fits....AND we are teaching by example my friends. :)
I for one am really enjoying this thread! Good stuff as folks share real time their experiences in this endeavor! Think I will fade to the back ground now......:)

Well you better appreciate me those tattoos hurt! I also have a clear picture of whom we are dealing.

Well you better appreciate me those tattoos hurt! I also have a clear picture of whom we are dealing.

To be clear (with humility)...I am not certain I do have a "clear" picture, I would be interested in the actual structure & collection of companies behind the names...how is that laid out? Top down....sales/marketing through manufacturing capabilities that are actually under the Farmertec umbrella and suppliers who provide the rest. Interestingly enough many of the companies / cooperative entities with China aren't structured in a typical "Western" way. Some still have ties to the...past..:) So the best I can honestly say is I have a fuzzy understanding that seems to be predictable. In my past I had dealt with the Industrial complex....but things change.

Actually the only thing that matters to me is the fact that Huztl (Farmertec's Factory store) is there on eBay..every day. And I've had a good series of experiences dealing with them. I hope that continues....as they have made many of my foray's into the saw world possible as had I gone the conventional ways before Huztl, I could not have justified it!

:)

( Husqvarna the "mother company" Jonsered, Poulan, & Distributers etc.--Mahle-Walbro-Zama-Oregon-Suppliers of components etc.)

But BACK to the saw builds please! I would really like to see some YouTube video's of your projects. I'll fade some more and will be patiently waiting...

I do have a question to you folks who have researched some of the other "complete" saw options.....If some haven't noticed, I happen to be a fan of these 660's. Which complete AM saw options do YOU like best and why? I know this is a tangent... but I would really like to hear opinions & experiences...is that another thread?

I do have a question to you folks who have researched some of the other "complete" saw options.....If some haven't noticed, I happen to be a fan of these 660's. Which complete AM saw options do YOU like best and why? I know this is a tangent... but I would really like to hear opinions & experiences...is that another thread?
Myself im liking the 372... My next build will be the 660. At the moment I think I prefer the 372 I think from a combination of ease of material online and through YouTube to be able to assemble. You yourself have many a video of muffler mods and no base gasket builds so to me its a proven option. The 660 still seems like it still has some clouds surrounding it and some modification to get everything meshing correctly... where as the 372 almost everything I have been getting is close to or spot on to stock with very slight modification. It also comes down to practicality for me. If you have that saw with a sugihara bar on it... that saw feels to me like a 60cc saw with a lot more to offer in a big way. The 660 would have a roll of more of a felling saw for me anyhow. The 372 with aftermarket price is perfect for "putting wood on the truck". I love the hobby so relaxation of building it and using it makes sense at that price point. At that point I am seeing your choice to mention PPE as a blanket reminder....as it stands some of these parts have not been proven as of yet. As you have mentioned these saws are not toys...If something comes apart...well I know you know...

I have seen a few other options and they looked of Poulan quality. My kit shipped Wednesday so it should be on its way. I was planing on modding it first but I think I'm going to put it together stock first with everything they ship it with. I know its not a kit but a parts replacement. So I'll see if it goes together like oem quality and report it back for anyone interested. It shouldn't take but a hour and half to build, So I'll do it while my wife watches one of her movies. And then head to the woods for some fun.

I just received an email from huztldealer. I now have a tracking number with delivery 7-10 days. She said the clutch drums were out of stock.
Received tracking information...shipment is in New York. Should get next week. Too bad I will be traveling for work. The rest of you guys are going to make this build easy!

Latest posts

Back