Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trboxman

trboxman

ArboristSite Operative
It shouldn't take but a hour and half to build, So I'll do it while my wife watches one of her movies.

If you can build this from opening the box to startup in an hour and a half you will have my undying respect and be held in awe above every mechanic I've ever met. And I would desperately love to learn your secrets for efficiency and speed.

Bedford T

Bedford T

the1chainsawguy
I just ordered a Stihl 360 kit. Cost $303 AU.or $222.7 US. Delivered. A bit nervous now. I hope I can get it together.
You can, I am, get you a IPL and ask questions. All these saws are real close as far as assembly. Plenty of experience here to help you. Fear not.

Start now looking for a press to use, trboxman showed the sockets he used for support or splurge and get you a puller. It's all here or very close

davhul

davhul

ArboristSite Guru
If you can build this from opening the box to startup in an hour and a half you will have my undying respect and be held in awe above every mechanic I've ever met. And I would desperately love to learn your secrets for efficiency and speed.
If it fits together like stock I can't see why not. Stihl only pays 2 hours to replace crank bearings. That's take it apart and put it together.

davhul

davhul

ArboristSite Guru
I have no magical wand as most know if you've done it a few times you just gabb screws and know where they go. It doesn't take but 15min to pull the jug off. It's not that hard. Same old steps

davhul

davhul

ArboristSite Guru
If the quality is close to stock. I want to learn to degree the ports and check them against my 064/660. Then practice on a bunch of differant cylinders to see the differant effects I made on it running and power output.

Definitive Dave

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
I've built the 372, 660, 440, 360, 361, 260, 290/390, 250 and 181 complete (near complete on 440) from AM parts in the past, never did the 038 or 346.
Of the versions I have bought both in kit form and assembled from the same source, the saws I assembled myself were far and away better, though not much cheaper at the time.
Keep in mind most of the vendors in the far east will vigorously hide the truth in regards to where parts really come from.
They will claim to make parts themselves even when they have the manufacturers name of another company on them :)
Dealing with them through Ebay is great protection for buyers.
They don't sell complete kits or assembled saws though Ebay for legal reasons.
Anyone who assembles a saw from aftermarket parts should be meticulous in letting buyers and potential buyers know that it is not a genuine article.
Dave

davhul

davhul

ArboristSite Guru
I could almost bet $ a big oem company may have had a hand in them not selling on eBay or any other American sales outfit. They have been watching huztl/farmer tech and other clone saw companies for quality and progress over the last couple years.

blsnelling
Start now looking for a press to use, trboxman showed the sockets he used for support or splurge and get you a puller.
As noted before, there's no need at all for either. Heat is all you need. Especially for us hobbiests, there's no need to make this any more difficult or any more expensive than necessary, unless buying tools is also your hobby.

davhul

davhul

ArboristSite Guru
If I done it this way. Anyone can put it together.
I was 16 and found a 044 in a barn that the roof had caved in. The saw has been rained on and looked bad so I checked the rope and it wouldn't pull but it was all there.
I took the plastic off and labeled where they went and proceeded to take the jug off. Took out all the bolts and it wouldn't budge. I had to hold the cylinder and bead the case off with a rubber hammer. The piston was white with corrosion and the rings stuck. I soaked the piston in pb blaster while I finished taking it apart.
I didn't know how to split the case I took out all the bolts and it wouldn't move. I went to the hardware store to get some long bolts to screw in the case half. Gave anscrew to the guy and said I need some like these and 6" long. He came back with 4" so I'll use them. Screwed them in and beat the case aPart while supporting one half. Not going into how I got the rusted bearings off the crank but I put the case back together with my long bolts and washers. Cleaned the piston up and sanded the cylinder. Used a carb a guy gave me and she fired up. No money invested and me and my buddy was gone cutting wood. So if that worked out then anyone can put this together with nothing more than ingenuity and just try and see.

Bedford T

Bedford T

the1chainsawguy
if poster opts to use heat I would read this first, when author says oven i think he means convection oven, there is a difference, its actually discussed in this thread also.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/installing-crank-bearings-using-heat.131284/

As noted before, there's no need at all for either. Heat is all you need. Especially for us hobbiests, there's no need to make this any more difficult or any more expensive than necessary, unless buying tools is also your hobby.