Hydraulic Filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlavalley

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Where should you put the hydraulic filter on a splitter? Suction side or return side? I have heard arguments in both directions. Anybody got experience with this? Mine is currently on the suction side and I don't see any problems with it there. Help appreciated.

Mike

Typically you would find the filter in the return line and not the suction line,
this is for protection of the pump from starvation of the pump inlet if the filter were to stop flowing.

Most pumps dont like to suck hard, they like to push therefore you seldom see filters per say on the inlet side of open center system with a gear pump. A properly constructed system will have some sort of strainer on the inlet side to catch big particles with the real filtering done in the return side. Even on modern hydrostat systems the inlet filtering is much coarser than the loop or return filters. If you have your basic normal spliter pump and open center system and have placed one of the commonly availible retrun side filters in front of the pump you are starving it for oil to some extent, harmfull or not could only be determaned by taking a vacuam reading between the filter and pump at full flow and asking the pump mfg.

Pile It said:
Typically you would find the filter in the return line and not the suction line,
this is for protection of the pump from starvation of the pump inlet if the filter were to stop flowing.

Didnt mean to pile on there, you posted while I wus typen.

Thanks

Thanks for the info guy (gals?). Reason I ask is I got a Hydraulic tank for free and that is how it was set up. The filter is pretty good sized but definitely will not hurt to swap it to the return side. I'm pretty sure there is no strainer built in on the suction side now and I have welded some new fittings in which makes me a little nervous about shards in the tank. Any suggestions? Do they make an in-line strainer?

Thanks again,
Mike

Although I have not looked for one I would guess that you can purchase an inlet strainer from any of the popular hydraulic supply houses. Surplus Center is my choice. My tanks have come from salvage and had strainers in them when I found them. Shards from assembly is a valid worry.

just for kicks
try not to use galvanized pipe ,especially on the suction side as flakes can come off the inside walls and cause pump failure.
Suction strainers are readily available, get one with a bypass as this will prevent starvation and again pump damage.
"Butch" no trouble great minds must think alike

If the oil tank is clean and the return line 10 micron filter is piped next to the tank - then all oil is filtered that goes back to the tank. Inlet filter is not required since the hydraulic oil will not contain particles large enough to be captured by the coarser mesh strainer.

definately put the filter on the return side. make sure your tank is as clean as possible before you install the filter.

-mike

Latest posts

Back