Hydraulic Whine in cold weather.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I work we run all types of heavy equipment from a D-8 down to bobcat loaders. Temps from -30 to +30 celcius.

Everything here has #10 motor oil in the hydraulic tanks, and we have zero problems. Yes ,they make noises when it's cold. That is normal.

There is such a thing as a stick on block heater. You peel and stick it to the side of the tank. They will stay on for years, but I don't know if it would be practical for a splitter ?

Donation sent.
Looking foward to gettin the check.:D

Where I work we run all types of heavy equipment from a D-8 down to bobcat loaders. Temps from -30 to +30 celcius.

Everything here has #10 motor oil in the hydraulic tanks, and we have zero problems. Yes ,they make noises when it's cold. That is normal.

There is such a thing as a stick on block heater. You peel and stick it to the side of the tank. They will stay on for years, but I don't know if it would be practical for a splitter ?
Dunno Daddy, It may not hurt nothin to run it cold. Probably gonna get one just to make sure. I don't know how strong these pumps are on these splitters.

Looking foward to gettin the check.:D

Dunno Daddy, It may not hurt nothin to run it cold. Probably gonna get one just to make sure. I don't know how strong these pumps are on these splitters.

Oh, I agree, put a heater on it. Cheap insurance.

I run straight dextron in my splitter. Seems to work good.
I can not say how it works on a 100 degree day though because there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that I'd be splitting wood in that heat.

+ 1 I have done this for 15 years since the splitter was new with no problems...

CC - after reading some of your posts on this thread, I'm starting to think you make some cool boats. Wanna share some pics?[/QUOTE]

Not a boat builder, but I work for a manufacturer of marine transmissions and propulsion equipment, ie we do everything from the back of the engine to the propeller.

Here is a shot of our test boat, a 38 Fountain cruiser with twin 350 HP diesels.

http://arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=162858&stc=1&d=1292900032

Latest posts

Back