Hydro pump question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sigpros

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am going to build a splitter. And I was wondering if you could use a hydro pump off of a combine to run the ram? Just wondering what you guys think?

depends on the pump

Ive seen one built off a 1460 combine pump it can be done but may be a lot of hassle's,,,,,and was slow ............ is it belt driven what rotation it is how many gpm is it rated........pump may have a tapered shaft........ i also had this idea i have a old 1460 parts combine that has the pump and tank but the pump is ccw so you would have turn the pump over to get it to turn in the direction of the motor your doner may be different,,,,,,,, gpm is really need to know determans how much hp is required

getting the speed right on the belt so that cycle time is not way to slow or to fast and kills the motor could be hard even if you know the pump size

I'm all for making stuff with extra parts but you will be money ahead getting a 2 stage pump even if its only a 16 gpm and ive seen them for $120, singel stage pumps require more hp as i have been working on building a 20 hp splitter with a singel stage with out spending a lot of money

Last edited:
I don't have a pump yet it was an idea a friend gave me, thats what they did to run a bale spear on a truck. I should probally just buy a pump. Also need to find out what size motor to run it. Thanks

it sure is easy to order the right pump, the right coupler, the right adaptor plate, and the right fittings from
surpluscenter.com

for sure I have used hydraulic tanks, hoses, and filter holders and even valves from farm equipment.

Back