hydro resevior overfill/by itself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry wayne

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 12x7 dual ram dump trailer,Today it dumped my load as usual,but when i went to drop it down,the reservoir over filled by itself.No i have never added any fluid,its only 1 yr old.It did sound like a different pitched sound when coming down.I equally had to let the cap off to allow the fluid to flow out into the box floor.When i got home the fluid was at its normal level again......but it was going to overflow again a little if i did not stop the drop in progress.Freaking me out.Maybe the return valve is stuck open or something,then in a little time it levels back out?P.S. I AM NOT a hydraulic x-pert by no means,and any help by experienced hydro guys would be aw some:confused: :dizzy:

I have a 12x7 dual ram dump trailer,Today it dumped my load as usual,but when i went to drop it down,the reservoir over filled by itself.No i have never added any fluid,its only 1 yr old.It did sound like a different pitched sound when coming down.I equally had to let the cap off to allow the fluid to flow out into the box floor.When i got home the fluid was at its normal level again......but it was going to overflow again a little if i did not stop the drop in progress.Freaking me out.Maybe the return valve is stuck open or something,then in a little time it levels back out?P.S. I AM NOT a hydraulic x-pert by no means,and any help by experienced hydro guys would be aw some:confused: :dizzy:

Was it definitly over full or just squirting out? If it was just squirting out, I have had on my dump trailer where the vent gets clogged, and mine has a plastic tank and cap and if the vent gets clogged it squirts fluid.

Was it definitly over full or just squirting out? If it was just squirting out, I have had on my dump trailer where the vent gets clogged, and mine has a plastic tank and cap and if the vent gets clogged it squirts fluid.

What and where are the vents.I have the same tank????

No hydro guys out there,heres the answer

My niehbor worked on big Cat equipment for a long time ,and he said i have air in the rams somewhere,and the air displaces the fluid,which in turn pushes the fluid to overfill.Gonna bleed the air out myself.He said to use my tracter bucket to hold the bed up and loosen the ram fitting ,then let the dumpbed down slowly to purge the air.Said in the winter its common to have to do this on a pretty regular basis for the big stuff........whood of thunk it?:dizzy:

My niehbor worked on big Cat equipment for a long time ,and he said i have air in the rams somewhere,and the air displaces the fluid,which in turn pushes the fluid to overfill.Gonna bleed the air out myself.He said to use my tracter bucket to hold the bed up and loosen the ram fitting ,then let the dumpbed down slowly to purge the air.Said in the winter its common to have to do this on a pretty regular basis for the big stuff........whood of thunk it?:dizzy:
ON my trailer there is a small hole in the cap with a "cheese cloth" filter. It lets air in as the bed raises and the fluid goes into the cylinders, when it comes down it is supposed to let air out of the tank, supposed to is the key word.

Please do not prop up the dump body!!!!! Its a very good way to get you or someone you love killed!!!!!!!!

The oil is simply very cold and much more dense than normal, if you have a salamander you can heat it up quickly.

The other way is to simply turn the pump on and leave it on until the oil is hot enough to work properly with out activating the dump circuit.

no other way during cold weather unless you leave it in a warm garage overnight.

That was my first thought that the temperature is making things too thick to act as normal. No expert here either but I just added 15W-40 oil in my car with 286,000 miles that burns a quart in a week and blew the pump out for the same reason. Lesson learned. I only like molasses in my shoo-fly-pie.

I rented one of those trailers and didn't have a problem - except one time I dumped with the trailer on an incline that put the right front corner of the trailer the lowest....which made the fill cap on the horizontal tank down hill. As the trailer bed was pumped up it pulled the fluid out of the tank like normal - but then when the bed came down and it was pushing the oil back into the reservoir the oil came out of the cap - as it had trapped a bunch of air in the reservoir. The reservoir on this unit was a milky white plastic tank and you could see the fluid level - and I could see the large air space uphill of the fill cap. There wasn't any additional fluid - the cap was just at the low point in the system and the air space was trapped uphill of the cap. Without the plastic tank I would never have been able to figure out what had happened. When the trailer was pulled onto level ground there was plenty of room for the fluid.

Please do not prop up the dump body!!!!! Its a very good way to get you or someone you love killed!!!!!!!!

The oil is simply very cold and much more dense than normal, if you have a salamander you can heat it up quickly.

The other way is to simply turn the pump on and leave it on until the oil is hot enough to work properly with out activating the dump circuit.

no other way during cold weather unless you leave it in a warm garage overnight.

pump only works when switch activated,thanx for the advise:agree2: this cold is killer on the battery too.I can only get a couple of dumps on it till its gone

I had the same thing happen on my dump trailer. I let the battery get to low. When the battery is low it will not open the solenoid valve to allow fluid back into the top of the cylinder. The cylinder has fluid on both sides of the ram. When you lift the dump bed up the pump moves fluid to the bottom of the ram, pushing fluid out the top side of the ram. When you lower the fluid is released by a valve on the bottom of the ram and pushes fluid out the bottom. What happens is the valve that allows fluid back to the top does not open and the fluid pushed out the bottom goes into the tank overfilling it.

Charge or replace the battery and it will be fine. I upgraded the charge-line and the ground to the trailer to 10 gauge wire. It had 14 gauge wires that were way too small to handle the power load of the motor.

Ethan

Latest posts

Back