Hyundai makes chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More clones of old Zenoah designs (G5000 and G3800 based), probably made by the same outfit that does the Earthquakes: Zhongjian Tools Manufacture Co. Just ran my ported Earthquake CS3816 a bit today.

Yea, YUK!!! My time is limited and I tend to value it so I insist I have a tool I can count on when I need to do job. Spending half a day fixing junk just to get me by, seems just plain foolish. Maybe when I was younger, but I got less time left no so it is of more importance. Better to buy a refurbished Poulan than this crap. And that is saying something. A Hyundai makes a Wildthing look like a Stihl by comparison

Interesting that the ones they sell in OZ are totally different styling:
http://www.hyundaipowerproducts.com.au/garden-chainsaws.html
These look like the ones they sell as "Topsun" brand but in different colors.
http://www.zjtools.cn/cp_gasoline_1.aspx Same saws.

Yea, YUK!!! My time is limited and I tend to value it so I insist I have a tool I can count on when I need to do job. Spending half a day fixing junk just to get me by, seems just plain foolish. Maybe when I was younger, but I got less time left no so it is of more importance. Better to buy a refurbished Poulan than this crap. And that is saying something. A Hyundai makes a Wildthing look like a Stihl by comparison

After an initial tear down, cleanup and reassembly my Earthquake is dead solid reliable. And as a copy of a Zenoah G3800, it is actually a nice saw - split alloy case, adjustable oiler, nice A/V, very light. My GZ4000 and copies are a little nicer though.

I'd like to know what their annual volume of these things is - they must be pumping out a lot of them.

Guess I will sell my Stihl's Mac's and Husky's and buy Chinese. NOT
Why do you jump to that extreme? Certainly nothing I would recommend. On the other hand, your assumption that they don't work is just opinion not based on experience.

It's just a discussion about what saws are available in other places from other companies, there is no need to let it upset you.

wonder why the different lines,US vs Australia? epa regs? import taxes?
Actually, it was UK vs. Australia for the Hyundai saws as they don't sell them here. It looks like maybe the Topsun is a house brand, but I'm certainly not sure about that. Otherwise it looks like the styling, colors and branding are all up to the importer/retailer and the manufacturer will make them however you want. Just like Husky does with Jonsered and McCulloch....

Ya need to get out more. The internet was invented in the good ole USA. We were # 1 in IT for several years. Not any more. We are usually somewhere between #12 and # 17 nowdays. Korea is #1. You can get a brand new Samsung and an unlimited plan for around $30 a month. They have comprtition that drives theri market. The US has big companies paying politicians to vote for laws limiting competition, ao we pay 4 times that much for similiar services. Their cars are selling very well here, and their top luxury cars are not brought over here. If they choose to build a chainsaw, it will be built to compete with what they feel is their competition. They are taught to compete from 1st grade. Every day their test scores are posted next to the door for all to see who is the smartest. We round grades and still have very high drop out rates. Instead of bad mouthing anything new, you might want to figure out how we in the USA can compete with their products. They seek out to be #1. They will compete with Germany and any one else that wants to challenge them. Apple chose them to build their phones. From chips to screens and all the rest. Then Samsung builds a better phone and looses the suit from Apple for several million for stealing their ideas. Meanwhile, Samsung is doing very well in the world market. I think Husky and Stihl hope they dont want to expand into chainsaws.

Ya need to get out more. The internet was invented in the good ole USA. We were # 1 in IT for several years. Not any more. We are usually somewhere between #12 and # 17 nowdays. Korea is #1. You can get a brand new Samsung and an unlimited plan for around $30 a month. They have comprtition that drives theri market. The US has big companies paying politicians to vote for laws limiting competition, ao we pay 4 times that much for similiar services. Their cars are selling very well here, and their top luxury cars are not brought over here. If they choose to build a chainsaw, it will be built to compete with what they feel is their competition. They are taught to compete from 1st grade. Every day their test scores are posted next to the door for all to see who is the smartest. We round grades and still have very high drop out rates. Instead of bad mouthing anything new, you might want to figure out how we in the USA can compete with their products. They seek out to be #1. They will compete with Germany and any one else that wants to challenge them. Apple chose them to build their phones. From chips to screens and all the rest. Then Samsung builds a better phone and looses the suit from Apple for several million for stealing their ideas. Meanwhile, Samsung is doing very well in the world market. I think Husky and Stihl hope they dont want to expand into chainsaws.
Yes, they are displacing the Japanese as the Japanese economy fails. I've been driving my Hyundai Accent GSi since 1999 - it's been amazingly reliable and still works great. And we've had similarly good experiences with 3 others, as well as my Kioti (Daedong) tractor. Clearly they could make a chainsaw, but in this case I recognize the saws and they're not Hyundai designs.

Korea manufactured products are one thing as they want to compete in the world market and strive for quality. Chinese products are different however, quality is poor, copyrights are violated, and they dont wish to compete, but rather dominate. The saw pictured is, I would guess, Chinese with a good Korean name attached to it. No thanks.

Korea manufactured products are one thing as they want to compete in the world market and strive for quality. Chinese products are different however, quality is poor, copyrights are violated, and they dont wish to compete, but rather dominate. The saw pictured is, I would guess, Chinese with a good Korean name attached to it. No thanks.

The one in post #1 surely smells badly of China!

Looks like rebranded Zenoah (Redmax).....

....but the one in post #1 looks like something worse - much worse....
No, they are the same just with different shaped plastic covers and different colors. I'm amazed at how easy it is to fool even experienced chainsaw people with simple cover and color changes. They are all Chinese made clones of Zenoah G3800, G5000 and G621 designs, in various displacements.

Back