Hyway 45mm cylinder ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just looking for some experience here with these cylinders. I tried to buy a Hyway kit for a 350 I'm building from weedeaterman but he couldn't get one so I ended up getting one off ebay. I got the kit today and opened it up to check it out. All the outside casting looks great for an AM kit and things were looking good until I took the piston out of the jug and started checking the cylinder walls. I can see one 1/8 inch long groove and one 1/16 inch groove ground in the cylinder wall from where they ground the bevels into the transfers and the intake/exhaust ports. There are also about a half dozen pencil lead sized "pits" in the cylinder wall above the ports and another half dozen pin sized "pits". There are also a few more below the ports.

Is this normal for these Hyway kits? I would hope not. Should I run it or return it? I notifed the seller but have yet to hear back as I just sent the message.

Thanks

Send it back. If your not using OEM or Meteor I'd only buy from Weedeaterman he's researched all that QC with aftermarket guys and know what is worth using. Hope this helps.

Send it back. If your not using OEM or Meteor I'd only buy from Weedeaterman he's researched all that QC with aftermarket guys and know what is worth using. Hope this helps.
Unfortunately I tried to buy from Weedeaterman but he told me there was nothing other than B grade kits available. I have read all the rave reviews here with the Hyway brand so I thought I'd be safe buying it from anybody.

the 350 kit that looks good is the one from Simion saw I not sure of the spelling. Its kind of pricey but has lots of extras for full rebuild. Have you looked for a used OEM cyl. I like the later 45mm cyl and use a 351 or 353 flat top piston boosts compression quite a bit. My 45mm 350 is ported and will run with any ported 346 so you really don't need to go with 346 upgrade.
Good luck Ken

o

I've been curious to try the Hyway 45mm kit also, seems like good performance potential (nikasil too), looks to be designed like a smaller version of their 357/359 kit. Interestingly (iirc), an early batch of the 359 kits had some issues with the plating flaking off , haven't checked mine lately but so far no signs of compression loss...
But as already mentioned here, Watsonr has said the latest batch has plating issues just as you describe so they're holding off on getting more. Ask if the 'B' kit is the 44.3mm one, if so it's not a bad kit, basically a clone of the 346xpne cyl except a chrome bore. I have one and also the 'kafar' version from feepay and they seem to be the only kits out there that so closely emulate the oem 346. The quality is reputed to be consistent on both though on a point by point once over on each I'd give a slight advantage to the weedeaterman version.

I've been curious to try the Hyway 45mm kit also, seems like good performance potential (nikasil too), looks to be designed like a smaller version of their 357/359 kit. Interestingly (iirc), an early batch of the 359 kits had some issues with the plating flaking off , haven't checked mine lately but so far no signs of compression loss...
But as already mentioned here, Watsonr has said the latest batch has plating issues just as you describe so they're holding off on getting more. Ask if the 'B' kit is the 44.3mm one, if so it's not a bad kit, basically a clone of the 346xpne cyl except a chrome bore. I have one and also the 'kafar' version from feepay and they seem to be the only kits out there that so closely emulate the oem 346. The quality is reputed to be consistent on both though on a point by point once over on each I'd give a slight advantage to the weedeaterman version.
You know it's funny you mention the 44mm kit because I actually accidently ordered that one from Weedeaterman thinking I was getting the Hyway kit. Upon receiving that kit I was super disappointed with the quality and returned it. It came drop shipped to me from Weedeatermans supplier and was not packaged correctly. It had two bent fins on the top and as far as I was concerned the casting and plating was sub par. To give credit where credit is due, Henry promptly called me and offered a full refund including the cost for me to ship it back.

The seller I bought the Hyway from has contacted me and said he would exchange the kit I got for a new one. He assured me upon my request that he would open the next one and examine it before shipping it to me to make sure I get a good kit. I hope he does and I hope he looks it over good because I will not accept a sub standard kit. I really wonder if I should just bag it and buy a full Meteor kit for $25 dollars more?

Bummer those 44.3mm kits are now suffering quality issues also, I like mine. The kit I got appears to be identical to the one that Simonians has. Mine has a rough sand blasted appearing finish all over that doesn't look appealing but wouldn't seem to affect performance, no major casting flaws or breaks, bore/plating looked fine. Beveling was a bit crude but nothing scary, port timing was good.

If the replacement Hyway kit doesn't work out, my next choice would be the kafar one. They've been selling those a long time now and at least I haven't heard of any horror stories/catastrophic failures.
Meteor kit looks ok but is nearly twice the $'s...

Back