I’ve been demolished repeatedly for carelessness in the logging woods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just opened this thread, and the original post is empty. Did he scrub his content? Been too busy to spend much time here in recent days, but it seems like things are different in the last few days.

Regardless, anyone who is sustaining repeated injuries in tree work should learn to do it better. I had a few injuries, but they were all from overworked muscles and such. Never had a moving chain touch my flesh in over 50 yrs of cutting trees.
Looks like they took the graphic pics down.

First off I will say I am NOT a professional tree anything although I have felled and cut up many, many of them on my farm as well as at relatives. I do burn wood in an outside boiler so yes I cut and split much of it over the years. I will say that I have never been hurt when doing so as I RESPECT the entire situation and consequences. YES, cutting wood saves me a ton of money so it's like putting it in the bank but not being able to do so would mean all that would be used up pretty quickly. An Accident is something happening by chance; something unforeseen, unexpected, unusual, extraordinary, or phenomenal, taking place not according to the usual course of things or events, out of the range of ordinary calculations; that which exists or occurs abnormally, or an uncommon occurrence, on the instant, rather than something that continues, progresses or develops; something happening by chance. The word accident is used only for events that occur without the intervention of a human being. This kind of accident also may be called an act of God. It is an event that no person caused or could have prevented—such as a tornado, a tidal wave, or an ice storm. Repetitive actions that cause harm is man-made and called Carelessness, Not giving sufficient attention or thought to avoiding harm or errors. Trusting in the almighty is NO guarantee one will not do irreparable harm to themselves or others. The almighty made man the so-called most intelligent species on earth by giving them the ability to reason. That therefore gifts any man the ability to put an actual reason (the power of the mind to think, understand, and form judgments by a process of logic) behind things that cause them harm. The almighty gave us all the ability to be superior so as to maintain the species but NOT using that ability is just like praying, they both must have individual legs! Repetitive harm from a single source is not an accident but carelessness to which the almighty has already addressed and left up to an individual to have the ability to understand and prevent. For one to act carelessly and then depend on God to not get harmed is a waste of their breath.

Just opened this thread, and the original post is empty. Did he scrub his content? Been too busy to spend much time here in recent days, but it seems like things are different in the last few days.

Regardless, anyone who is sustaining repeated injuries in tree work should learn to do it better. I had a few injuries, but they were all from overworked muscles and such. Never had a moving chain touch my flesh in over 50 yrs of cutting trees.

Yes. He systematically deleted each of his posts. Many have been restored.

I think I got to read most of his postings, although they are all gone now. I believe his original intent in his words were to inform, educate, and show what could happen to an individual in his line of work. Constructive advice was given by many and he absorbed it mostly just fine. He knew why and when he was at fault but the chase for the almighty dollar might have outweighed, in his mind anyway, the need for most safety rationalizations. Kinda of a “make hay while the sun is shining” fella. Sounded as if he made a decent wage, paid his taxes, had insurance, and had a dairy farm. His bulb is burning bright, but for how long will be the question.

No "they" involved. The OP didn't like any criticism, and deleted everything.
During my time as an arborist, I hired and fired many employees.
The best employees were the ones that listened.
Trying to re-educate someone who has been doing it for years, can be frustrating.
I don't like training climbers.
They are risk-takers by nature and some just do not have the concentration or attention to detail that it takes.to survive.

I once had a client who was a famous brain surgeon.
He was amazed at my climbing work.
When I was on the ground, he asked me what happens if I make a mistake. I said I don't make mistakes.
He responded with, "everybody makes mistakes" I responded with "I'm glad you are not doing brain surgery on me!"
I explained futher, "If you break your pencil writing a prescription, that is an acceptable mistake. If you cut my skull with a bone saw while drinking a beer, that is unacceptable and should never happen."
Similarly, cutting my rope while I'm hanging 150 ft. in the air over 21KV electrical lines is not acceptable.
There is a time to be careful and a time to be very careful!

Nothing got you fired faster than refusing to listen to safety advice!

That is 100% how I live,, ZERO recklessness,, period.
If moving too fast for safety is the way to make $$$,, then this is the wrong job.

I work in the woods, often, but as a hobby, there is no room for any hap-hazard actions.
I knew two people that died from such actions,,
one guy was a multi-millionaire in the 1970's,, he tried to cut a dead tree for his daughter, an 8" branch fell and ended him.

He knew better,, even his daughter said so, and she was there when the branch came down.

He had cut hundreds of large trees on his farm,, he knew what to do,,
Sounds like he didn't look at the tree before dropping it. I too cut trees for a hobby up on our woodlot. I have been doing it since I cleared our house lot back in 1973. I have been very fortunate not to have done anything really stupid. Closest I have come was to slightly cut my brand new boots many years ago with a chainsaw. It wasn't all the way thru the outside.

During my time as an arborist, I hired and fired many employees.
The best employees were the ones that listened.
Trying to re-educate someone who has been doing it for years, can be frustrating.
I don't like training climbers.
They are risk-takers by nature and some just do not have the concentration or attention to detail that it takes.to survive.

I once had a client who was a famous brain surgeon.
He was amazed at my climbing work.
When I was on the ground, he asked me what happens if I make a mistake. I said I don't make mistakes.
He responded with, "everybody makes mistakes" I responded with "I'm glad you are not doing brain surgery on me!"
I explained futher, "If you break your pencil writing a prescription, that is an acceptable mistake. If you cut my skull with a bone saw while drinking a beer, that is unacceptable and should never happen."
Similarly, cutting my rope while I'm hanging 150 ft. in the air over 21KV electrical lines is not acceptable.
There is a time to be careful and a time to be very careful!

Nothing got you fired faster than refusing to listen to safety advice!
That is very excellent response. I pretty much concur with this thought. Thanks

No "they" involved. The OP didn't like any criticism, and deleted everything. His comments could be restored.
You know this how?, his original intent in his words were to inform, educate, and show what could happen then the 'experts' like you come along and dump on him, I guess because "y'all" are 'experts you know better. His post served as a reminder as to what 'could' happen but seeing as you lot are 'experts' and never make mistakes and never need reminding you prefer to dump on people. This site is getting much too pretentious and petty so no wonder people are going to "the other site"....

Yea i was curious to see what happened.

He posted two pictures of a split lip done on different occasions, some really serious bruising from a leg injury (two views, old and initial), and some slices above the knee (two views) that were clearly caused by a chainsaw.

There wasn't anything too remarkable that couldn't be found in nearly any of the arboricultural injuries thread.

You know this how?, his original intent in his words were to inform, educate, and show what could happen then the 'experts' like you come along and dump on him, I guess because "y'all" are 'experts you know better. His post served as a reminder as to what 'could' happen but seeing as you lot are 'experts' and never make mistakes and never need reminding you prefer to dump on people. This site is getting much too pretentious and petty so no wonder people are going to "the other site"....

He said:
... but everyone wants to crap on me I said ask how it happened and I’d tell but it’s more fun to sh*t on someone. ..if I could delete the thread I would. ...
Now does that really take much analysis as to why it got deleted? I'd say that you were doing the dumping on me here.

As to my expertise, I'm enough of an expert to know how he got those two split lips, just by seeing the pictures. He admitted I was right in guessing the cause of those injuries. The OP also admitted that he has since learned the merit of killing his saw, so he freely admitted that it was an ignorant mistake that caused the injury.
As to dumping on him, I didn't read any posts that I thought qualified as such. No one else has deleted any posts, so how about you quote a "dumping" post back to me, and we just decide if anyone is being unfair. If simple criticism qualifies in your mind as "dumping on", then you need to grow up a bit yourself. The man didn't intend his posts to serve as a reminder, and I can prove it.

Post #2 in this thread:
These are the major injuries I’ve suffered in the last 3 years feel free to ask about any.

I have had a very skilled climber die while working for me. He made a simple, but fatal mistake. The first day he worked for me, he cut his arm with a chainsaw. Not bad, but I made him go get stitches. He was very pleased that we cared about his injury, and he alleged that he had never cut himself before. When he returned to work, I told him that he had already impressed us, that he didn't need to hurry any at all, that he was plenty fast enough.
3 days later he was DEAD, by making a hasty decision about what and how to cut.

Now don't give me anymore crap about people dumping on someone for emphasizing the value of being more careful. Small injuries done often DO mean that you are either ignorant or careless. That is a simple cut and dried fact, and I'm not going to apologize for other experts in this thread that have been stating the obvious. I will concede that they might have been a bit more sensitive to his feelings, but this is a tough world, and we aren't exactly known as a gentle, touchy/feely industry.

We tell it like it is, and there shouldn't be any misunderstandings.

I'm a retired arborist. I did a lot of very dangerous projects over the years but would not touch them if I could not do them safely.
If you don't have a plan to perform a task safely, you plan to have an "accident" I never fell once. No injuries other than overworking my body.

Back in the day, we called some climbers "lucky climbers" Despite all odds being against them, they survived.
There are a lot of lucky climbers and there are a lot of old climbers. There are no old, lucky climbers.

You seem to assume that I "fell". Not the case, exactly.
case #1. I was suspended by two different safeties while limb walking a dangerously dead pine branch. When it predictably broke, I was supported by my lanyard to the branch directly over my head. it was already tight, and I didn't really fall at all. What DID happen, was that the heavy belt was lifted by the side D-rings vertically into my short ribs, and broke three of them on my left side. Had I ever attended a climbing class that mentioned that probability, I might have avoided that injury.

case #2: a log being rigged down came swinging right back up and knocked me off the leaning trunk I was piecing out. Even though I was squealing at the groundie to release the rope, it had already hung up in the narrow crotch and wouldn't come down. After it knocked me off my perch, then I got to play collision games on the bottom of the trunk, too. It turns out that I was hanging from my lanyard at the same height the 500lb log was swinging.

A more expert climber than myself might have avoided both injuries. There's a lot to be said for getting and continuing to train. And even more to be said for never becoming complacent about your safety.

I think it is rediculous to think a pro should experience more than a few injuries during their career. I still have my limbs at 70. My first major climbing job was on a medium size Oak. I operated very well until I cut a 18” limb which split the tree pinning me abrubtley onto the main section of the tree. The incident knocked the wind out of me leaving me unable to speak. That was 50 years ago. Now have learned that there is always time to plan for safety period. Many folks have said the same things using different words. In the tree businesses mistakes are not made. I got my first tree job when I was 14. It paid $400 and I was thrilled. No body showed me how to handle a saw or sharpen a chain. I learned in 15 minutes that my decisions were life and death. I did not care what risk I took just get the job done. However I understood that I would not enjoy anything I worked for. So those early jobs set me on a habitual path of safety. As it turns out nothing else is important. I have had many people work for me with major scars. With in a few days it was obvious why. I have gone to major jobs to spend an hour or more just thinking and looking. When I consider all aspects the work starts not until. Thanks

These are the major injuries I’ve suffered in the last 3 years feel free to ask about any.
Whoa Brother! What's in the past is past and I don't admonish you for any of your thrill seeking. Being in the woods with the trees all day
is a huge gift. I am wondering if you have learned at all how precious your life is. You are able to feel emotion, and love I hope. Please think about how fragile life is and how the ground underneath you can be taken away in an instant.

Whoa Brother! What's in the past is past and I don't admonish you for any of your thrill seeking. Being in the woods with the trees all day
is a huge gift. I am wondering if you have learned at all how precious your life is. You are able to feel emotion, and love I hope. Please think about how fragile life is and how the ground underneath you can be taken away in an instant.
I find it interesting how people relate to hazards and life. I grew up right after the war with military surplus aircraft and guns available to pretty much any body. Living in a aircraft hanger on a Air Force Base in the fifties surrounded by military vets thinking that life was here today gone tomorrow. Most all the people I knew had a careless attitude about life and death. I never worried about making it home at the end of the day. However I developed a very meticulous habit of planning ever single minute detail about any project which has served me well. Nearly all of the accidents that I have seen here and elsewhere are the results of just plain carelessness on the part of the OP. Thanks

Back