I am going to buy OWB, brands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoakneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am going to purchase an OWB or wood gasifier?.
I have looked at heat-mor, central burner, and many others.

Its seems that the phase II models although more $$ in the beggining are more efficient and wil use less wood in the long run and should smoke less.

I understand that smoke is caused by poor quality fuel, and I have good oak, hickory, locust, and osage orange to burn.

I am putting it next to my outside chimney and will run a pipe 24' high.

Questions: 1. Since the lines will only be in the ground for 10' or less before going into the house, should I still use high dollar PEX insulated-- wouldn't cost that much b/c so short or can I just plumb the whole thing with copper and insulate the trench?

2. Do you need a pump for each heat exchanger? I am going to heat my water and a swimming pool.

3. Any brands to stay away from? My father is a metalurgist and says that stainless is NOT the way to go.

4. I have not talked to an installer yet because I have 3 people that will help me, one has a OWB, one is a HVAC, and a plumber welder. I do not know if you need the approved installer to get the $1500 tax rebate for the phase II.

5. I really want to do this right the first time so that I have minimal smoke and so that my wife can also run it.

6. Should I pay more for a gasifier or use that money for a new
Dolmar ps7900--Joke???

Thanks,

R.O.N.

Hi,
i have a Shaver 290. Works great and is priced right. I would use the insulated lines since its so short it will be low cost. Very easy to work with.i use separate pumps for my pool and house . Just easier but you could use the same one i guess. you dont need a installer for the tax cedit. give me a call and i will help you answer more questions . Russ 443-907-7455

You are going to patch the OWB chimney into your house chimney? Might have a draft issue (too much ). May be ok, but I've seen other posts about having too much draft and not being able to choke the fire down enough. You could correct this with a traditional dampner. Just something to keep in mind.

I am going to use my house chimney to brace the completely separate pipe OWB chimney to. I have a very tall chimney for my house and I am going to use it to brace the second pipe chimney for the OWB.
The 2 chimneys will not be connected.

I want to make sure I get any smoke up high so it disperses.

I still may need to dampen it but I should be able to do that on the intake side if needed.

Another question, is it OK to put these OWB a couple feet from the house?

R.O.N.

I am no expert, but I would not go that close. One that I was looking into the minimum was 10'.

Since these smolder quite a bit there is a creosote issue, and the longer the pipe the more creosote. Here is a vid of a tall stack like what you are talking about catching fire. I would want a bit more of a buffer zone there.

OWB stack fire

Good luck!

I have an empyer gasser, that i got the tax credit with last tax season, love it good company great sales rep in my area, can call em any time and he'll chat with ya bout anything that you maybe having an issue, or questions about. feel free to chat contacts in my profile...happy hunting...

:givebeer:

Just had to change my underwear,, holy moly that is some hot stuff.

Was going to put a tee in at the bottom so I could easily clean the pipe, everyday.

I will check empyre out.
Just talked to a central boiler salesman and he said the gasification models are a pain to keep lit??? Said to go with a regular boiler?

R.O.N.

The Central rep may be trying to steer you away from their gasser, which has had some issues with metal deterioration in the firebox.

I would (and did) go with the gasser because you will use less wood, even with good dry wood. This means less than 20% moisture content, though; any more and the gassers run poorly, as I learned first-hand.

Put in the tee, but you will not have to clean often with the gasser if you use dry wood. I burn 6-7 cords per year and clean twice a year.

You will get better performance if you use copper or oxygen-barrier Pex and foam the trench. Make sure you use lines big enough to transfer the amount of heat you will need - pool exchangers need a lot of BTU's.

Check out http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewforum/21/ for a wealth of info on the subject.

Ryan

I have a similar setup with my Central Boiler but it's next to my shop not my house...I think I'm about 3 feet from my shop to the back of the CB's stack that exits out the back of the furnace, that measurment came from my CB dealer or CB can't remember. The higher stack height doesn't make creosote build up, these are insulated stacks, mine is over 20' tall...braced at the bottom of the stack to hold the weight of the stach, braced again a few feet from the top of the stack triangulated to my shop's roof.

Getting ready to start year # 3 w/ Central CB5036, love it, little if no problems1. Buy spare door actuator/circ. cartridge
2. Go to www.heatinghelp.com, buy the hot water heating books.
3. Primary/secondary piping is the way to go, larger primary loop circ, small circs. for each zone/HX.
4. See disclaimer below.

My heat loss is high because of high ceilings. My propane bills last year totaled @ 1700 but we kept our house pretty cold- 59-64.

i also burned wood in the fireplace and probably made the bills higher by drawing in the cold air.

I also have a lot of windows, and 4 little kids that don't shut doors if I ain't lookin!!!

If it was up to me I would set the thermostat at 33 and wear wool. Wife likes it 80 in the winter and 60 in the summer, so I'm losing the battle. At least this way I can get some cool toys and still burn wood and keep her happy. I work a lot outside, so the temps don't bother me too much.
I do love cutting and splitting wood, especially big hardwoods!!!!

Can't answer all your quesions but here's my 2 cents:

- Don't cheap out on the undereground pipe.

- I have had my CB 6048 running 24/7 since Nov 2007 with no major issues.

- You should not need a separate pump for your pool unless you are going to heat it all year round. I have a four way insulated manfold in my basement with ball valves for each zone - works great. You simply close the supply line on the zone(s) that you are not using.

- Pool heaters take up a lot of BTU to heat up the pool and you will burn lots of wood when the heater is running full blast. I use mine mostly in the Spring and Fall to extend my pool season.

- burn dry wood and you will have no problems with smoke.

Looks like these guys have covered about everything. I went with Woodmaster over the CB simply b/c I liked the dealer better. I'd check with your insurance to make sure they don't have an issue w/ it being that close to your house. I second the quality PEX opinion.
Happy Burning!

owb continues

outdoor wood boiler continued:

I am going to purchase an OWB or wood gasifier?.
I have looked at heat-mor, central burner, and many others.

Its seems that the phase II models although more $$ in the begining are more efficient and wil use less wood in the long run and should smoke less.

just as an example:

Look at the evrgreen line from www.wdheat.com rick is very helpful and will mail all the information about his evergreen boiler line and the others he offers.

I understand that smoke is caused by poor quality fuel, and I have good oak, hickory, locust, and osage orange to burn.

Not always; if a boiler is loaded to the maximum amount it will idle and smoke which wastes fuel. I believe I mentioned filling the firebox 1/2 to 2/3 full of firebrick to create a heat sink which does several things;

1. stores the thermal energy that is created by the fire as it burns minus whatever percentage is lost out the stack.

2. releases the thermal energy stored to keeep the fire box hot and burnn hotter to reduce smoke(which is unburned wood particles)

3. creates a narrow unwasted path for the intake air through a smaller hotter fire which heats the water and the thermal mass of ifre bricks.
a. getting a piece of channel iron the desired length and width to cover the grates and grate mounting frame alows you to shake the grates and keep a hot small fire with fire brick sucking up the heat and storing it.

I am putting it next to my outside chimney and will run a pipe 24' high.

Please avoid that as you will create a huge stress on the chinmney with wind loading, it will weaken the mortar and stress the liner and you will have an issue with down drafts unless you completely seal the chimney with brick and mortar- and if you do not seal the fireplace the liner could, can, and will lwak carbon monoxide- is you rLP heat exhasted out the chimney in a second pathway? , if so thats even more reason to have a stand alone chimney.

OH and most likely your insurer will throw cold water on the idea of having it so close to the home due to sparks and embers possibly finding thier way to the wood and shingles of the home besides being a nice lightning rod as well

Questions: 1. Since the lines will only be in the ground for 10' or less before going into the house, should I still use high dollar PEX insulated-- wouldn't cost that much b/c so short or can I just plumb the whole thing with copper and insulate the trench?

Use the expensive pex ($13 foot), the copper will be attacked by the soil and also be a huge source of heat loss and subject to frost damage and heaving breaking solder joints

2. Do you need a pump for each heat exchanger? I am going to heat my water and a swimming pool.

Pump(s) should be in the basement near the manifolds and heat exhangers as has been mentioned

3. Any brands to stay away from? My father is a metalurgist and says that stainless is NOT the way to go.

Thats an issue you need to deal with your self as there are a lot of available brands; I mentioned that the OWB should be double in size or more of the homes heating system BTU size in use that way you can heat the most water with a small hot hard fire and the heat will also be absorbed by the fire brick so much less is used and burned with much less smoke and higher efficiency.

4. I have not talked to an installer yet because I have 3 people that will help me, one has a OWB, one is a HVAC, and a plumber welder. I do not know if you need the approved installer to get the $1500 tax rebate for the phase II.

Using an energy star qualified installer is the norm if you want the rebate, but you should be able to get a rebate for the purchase of a standard model like the Evergreen brand Sequoia model with almost four hundred gallons of water capacity as it saves you from buying fossil fuels too.

5. I really want to do this right the first time so that I have minimal smoke and so that my wife can also run it.

fill the fire box half or two thirds full of fire brick and it will be easier to manage and burn hotter with less smoke.

Most of the gassifiers would not allow you to fill the firebox with fire brick as the air passages are in the bottom and would be blocked by the fire brick-BUT
the smaller firebox breated by the added brick should not be an issue as the combustion air will simply be forced to move forward and burn in a much more smaller surface area and having boiler plate will not be an issue when stacking fire brick in it to add a heat sink and thermal mass.

6. Should I pay more for a gasifier or use that money for a new
Dolmar ps7900--Joke???

Potato, potatoe;

save your money and buy a 16" Stihl and buy a large standard boiler with shaker grates and fill 1/2 to 2/3 full of fire brick and a piece of chanel iron 12-14 inches wide and one inch tall and be sure to place the channel iron with the edges down to allow the grates to shake properly- the more firebrick the more thermal mass which can absorb the heat generated by a small hot fire.

The return on your investment is the issue period which includes the following;
A temporary blanket homeowners liability rider for the time required for the installation and permiting
boiler cost including freight and parts.
installation cost including materials and excavation cost-dont forget you will not be able to have a shallow burial depth.
permitting-building permit, plumbing permit/inspection of electrical installation prior to finishing installation.
added insurance cost-if your insurer will even permit it due to the potential for sparks and embers.
interest expense

If no one is licensed to do the plumbing and electrical and do not provide proof of same and provide you with workmans compensation insurance with a letter from the insurance carrier you will not be covered by your insurer most likely in the event of a casualty loss due ot the OWB.

you may be out an insurance claim if something happens due to a faulty installation (including set back and space/distance from the primary dwelling and or garage.

Thanks,

R.O.N.

You should buy your firebrick from Crappie Keith as he has 12 by 12 fire bricks for sale to save time installing them with the odd number of standard firebrick you will need to lace in the bond as well.

:chainsaw::cheers::givebeer:

my two cents

Last edited:
You might want to check with your insurance carrier. When I ask if there were any issues with installing a OWB they told me that the boiler had to be UL Listed, installed by a licensed plumber/HVAC guy and had to be 15' away from any other structure.

A couple more thoughts. Is it difficult to clean the stack if it comes out of the roof of the boiler or do you put a tee in for taller stacks? Should I get one that comes out the back for easy cleaning or no big deal.

Checking w/ insurance about how close to the house the pipe can be. The county may have a 10' rule also.

Thanks for all the input, y'all brought up some really good points and hopefully I get this right the first time. At least I'm not waiting for the last minute and have a month or so to get-r-done.

Pete

owb sage continues

Most of the stacks exit the roof of the fire box anyway so its not an issue for the most part.

if you have any creosote it usually burns right up and creates a lot of sparks and a spark arrestor is very advisable.

The thing is you have time now and you dont have to rush into anything; and as I mentioned I personally like the evergreen line of boilers as I examined them very closely when I visited the local dealer here in my state.

At the time of my visit he was out on a contracting job but his nephew was there and we chatted for quite whlie about boilers in general and his family has 5 units that they purchased from rick for heating homes and businesses
the Lil Alberts and Big Alberts and Boss man models are no longer made
They were fully lined with firebrick (roof, walls, end wall, rear firebox door) and you could burn whole corn and coal as well as they had shaker grates.

But as I said the evergreeen boilers are very well constructed with boiler plate and two rows of fire brick along the shaker grates to burn coal if one wished to do so and a I mentioned I filled my old indoor boiler with firebrick to the halfway point and I wish I had done it 28 years ago.

Last edited:
I purchased a Wood Doctor gasser: http://wooddoctorfurnace.com/converter.html
I went with the HE-5000 I heat 2000 sqft home, 900 sqft attached in-law suite, all hot water, 768 sqft pole barn garage, and keep my hot tub @ 102 -104 all winter.
I installed 2 pumps, 1 for house, 1 for garage. (actually it's tee'd at the OWB and goes 2 different ways).
I have 2 water to water HX and 2 water to air HX on 1 loop in series in my house. House stays at 78 all winter (wife likes it "cumfy").
I really, really like the Wood Doctor and it is almost smokeless. Once you get the hang of it,( about a week) they are easy to use and I have never had it go out on me.
I "would" however given another oppertunity, buy the HE-8000 for my application. Mine heats fine, just "have" to visit it twice a day.
Everything else posted is correct.....DON'T skimp on the underground insulation.
BTW, my house loop is about 250' from boiler back to boiler.
Works great. Now, the typical CB non gasser version is a.....fill'er up and walk away type of OWB....OK for some, but from my experience smokier. My Wood Doctor takes a little more finess, doesn't take as much wood to fill, burns clean, but I have to fill full twice a day. I don't mind though.
Good luck with whichever you decide to get.
I have family members that had a CB and a Mahoning before my purchase so I didn't buy mine "blindly"

Now the price shopping has begun. Leon- thanks for all your input, as well as thanks to everyone here - you have opened my eyes.

Did you ever look at something that seemed very simple and realized it is not so???

Pete

For giggles while you're shopping, look at Heiss heaters. It's a different design, that claims good efficiency.

Latest posts

Back