I am looking at Homelites for a start saw for my son ..Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finch

Finch

ArboristSite Member
What model of homelite would you guys say it would be a good starter saw for him.He is 14 years small build..The reason homelite I know where this is a ton of them plus I own 3-240's 2-xl2's and 2 360's myself..So what would you guys say in the models out there what one would be best for a small little guy. he weight 91 pounds.I just what to be safe.

Thanks
Finch

caleath

caleath

Cliff Leath
I think, now this is just me, a saw with a chainbrake would be good idea.

If you choose not to go that way maybe an xl-2 those things are everywhere.

Roanoker494

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Something with a chain brake would be the best option. Might want to consider going down to Wal-Mart and getting him one of those $99 Poulan 3314 wood shark, you can find em even cheaper as a refurbished saw. If you wanted to go with what you already have I would start him on a 240, the XL-12 would also be a option because their weight reduces the chances of kickback. I would also suggest a safety chain because of the lack of a chain brake. Start him out right and teach him the "safe way" of doing things with eye, ear and leg protection also.

Roanoker494

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I have a older Poulan pro 260 would that work?? I love my homes.

The PP260 would be a excellent match for the young feller. You can not go wrong with 42cc, anti-vibe, chain brake and parts are very plentiful. Later down the road, if he gets into building saws, that 260 will make a great saw to muffler mod and eventually port.

bobt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Super EZ Auto. Get him ready for a big saw.

I wholeheartedly agree.

But as much as I like the old saws,,,,,they don't have a chain brake.

If it were my son, I would teach him to be safe with out a brake, but in this day and age, I wouldn't advise anyone to use a saw without one.

Now, of course all of my saws don't have chainbrakes, and they are more of a nuisance to me than anything else,,,,but that is only me.

Bob

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
I wholeheartedly agree.

But as much as I like the old saws,,,,,they don't have a chain brake.

If it were my son, I would teach him to be safe with out a brake, but in this day and age, I wouldn't advise anyone to use a saw without one.

Now, of course all of my saws don't have chainbrakes, and they are more of a nuisance to me than anything else,,,,but that is only me.

Bob

I think if you are teaching proper cutting technique and instill that these techniques be followed to a tee, a chain brake is not needed. Call me old school but I have never had a saw kick back on me or have ever had one of my chain brakes activated by anything other than my hand, but to each his own if it makes you feel better than get a saw with a chain brake.

bobt

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think if you are teaching proper cutting technique and instill that these techniques be followed to a tee, a chain brake is not needed. Call me old school but I have never had a saw kick back on me or have ever had one of my chain brakes activated by anything other than my hand, but to each his own if it makes you feel better than get a saw with a chain brake.

Yep, I know what you are saying. I taught my boy how to use a saw without relying on a chain brake to keep him safe. I taught him the safe ways to use a saw.

But in this age of litigation,,,well, you surely know the issues.

Bob

Madsaw

Madsaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just picked up a dirty 250. Looks like it had not much use but just got storage dirt. If you want I can check it out and see what its like.
Bob

flyank

flyank

ArboristSite Operative
if you're set on Homelites, once I had one of the old Ranger series, think it was 33cc with a 16" on it... decent saw for the size, think they're still around. I cut ALOT with that little thing and it ran strong.

blackoak

blackoak

Addicted to ArboristSite
I wouldn't go with any of the weak limp wristed saws mentioned so far. A nice cherry Homie 750 with a 48" bar would be my choice if it was my kid. At least I would tell my wife it was for Junior:hmm3grin2orange: Actually I would go with a more modern saw and not one that wears the Homelite name today. I don't consider them Homelites at all. I'm not knocking the old Homelites . They were and still are great saws, but there are better and more safer saws available for a beginning young saw user. For the price, Echo saws are good reliable saws that won't break the bank and have a 5 year warranty.

WillBrayJr

WillBrayJr

ArboristSite Guru
The XL2s are dangerous, too small, high revs, top handle, not for beginners. Find a good used 50cc Echo with chainbrake.

ANY Chainsaw is potentially dangerous. Top-Handle models aren't anymore dangerous than Rear-Handle models as long as you're not being stupid with them. 1st Chainsaw I used was a McCulloch Eager Beaver Electric with a 14in Bar&Chain. I continued to use it until I was 15 years old at which point I got a gas-powered Homelite. Wanna know which handle design, that's right a Top-Handle. Know what else, never had a single issue with it.