I am wanting to build a outdoor wood furnace please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abadbowtie

Reaction score
I am wanting to build my own outdoor wood furnave I want to heat my garage and proably heat the house also I want to build my own but looking for somewere I can download a set of plans for free somewere to make sure I want to get involved in this before I spend any money. 5,000 is just ay more than I have to spend to buy one built.
Thanks In advance

You will have close to five grand into one if you make it yourself. A friend of mine made one himself and said he had fun doing it, but he will never do it again. He figured he spent about $4000 on his. Yes, he saved about $4000 compared to a Central Boiler, but, his does not come with a 25 year warantee. If something happens to his he is SOL. He also burns close to 2x more wood than another friend who has a Central Boiler.

Just something to think about.

welcome to AS!

hey don't let folks discourage you from doing this.... if you are a talented metal fab guy.... then with the right set of plans... there's no reason you shouldn't be able to duplicate a commercial OWB.

if a man built it... then with the right equipment... one should be able to duplicate it ... now it may take you 10x as long to make... but so what...

if cost saving justify it... then go for it... if it cost you nearly the same as buying one... forget about it...

Last edited:
Do you know how to make one that is compliant with the 2010 EPA emissions?

good point to bring up.

indiana is currently (or already has) looking into possibly restricting them via EPS standards or banning them:

The Indiana Department of Environmental Management is collecting comments on possible restriction on OWBs.

The possibilities include establishing emission standards for the units, restricting what units can be used and how and where they can be used, and banning all or some of them.

http://indianalawblog.com/archives/2005/12/environment_woo.html

it's best to buy a good quality model that meets EPA standards, than to have one you can't use at all.

As long as you have a valid permit for your existing OWB before the legislation change I would think you are OK. At least that's how it is in my part of CT.

We dont have a lot of folks around here with OWB, we just dont have the long winters to justify the cost I guess. But a few questions for those of you that do have them. You have to have a permit for one?
And Two, if a state outright bans them, does that mean no more can be installed, but if you have one already that cant make you remove it can they?
dont mean to hijack a post, but it brought it to mind.

We dont have a lot of folks around here with OWB, we just dont have the long winters to justify the cost I guess. But a few questions for those of you that do have them. You have to have a permit for one?
And Two, if a state outright bans them, does that mean no more can be installed, but if you have one already that cant make you remove it can they?
dont mean to hijack a post, but it brought it to mind.

locally, as i understand it, you're grandfathered in, but.....your OWB must meet EPA standards. failing to do that after 3 complaints/inspections/monitored, it must be removed.

locally, as i understand it, you're grandfathered in, but.....your OWB must meet EPA standards. failing to do that after 3 complaints/inspections/monitored, it must be removed.

In CT we need a permit and have specific guidelines to follow, paraphrased below:
-at least 200ft from any structure not serviced by it
-if within 500ft from unserviced structure top of chimney must equal ridge line of roof not to exceed 55ft from ground
-burn season limited to 9/15 through 5/15

As far as I know, your OWB only has to meet EPA standards that existed on the date of installation/ permit inspection. Kind of like the emission standards on cars, a 1978 corvette has much more leniency than a 2008 corvette, and the EPA can not force you to make your old '78 meet the newer requirements. I could be way off base, but that's how I interpret it.

In CT we need a permit and have specific guidelines to follow, paraphrased below:
-if within 500ft from unserviced structure top of chimney must equal ridge line of roof not to exceed 55ft from ground

As far as I know, your OWB only has to meet EPA standards that existed on the date of installation/ permit inspection. Kind of like the emission standards on cars, a 1978 corvette has much more leniency than a 2008 corvette, and the EPA can not force you to make your old '78 meet the newer requirements. I could be way off base, but that's how I interpret it.

The manufacturer is no longer responsible for the upkeep to meet EPA it would then be up to the owner. Some states have an anual emmissions check that ensures your car meets the current standard.
I don't live in any of those states , someone correct me if I am completely out of the ballpark on this one.

I wonder how close a good top down fire in an older OWB is to meeting the current EPA requirements ?

Very little smoke comes off of a top down. The smoke seems to be the major concern in particulate matter being released to the atmosphere. Lower smoke output would mean easirt to pass those emissions tests.

It would be interesting for a manufacturer to test a different approach to their burning method to get them to meet EPA regulations.

You will have close to five grand into one if you make it yourself. A friend of mine made one himself and said he had fun doing it, but he will never do it again. He figured he spent about $4000 on his. Yes, he saved about $4000 compared to a Central Boiler, but, his does not come with a 25 year warantee. If something happens to his he is SOL. He also burns close to 2x more wood than another friend who has a Central Boiler.

Just something to think about.

Any Central customers I have heard from said that central's warranty is bogus.... You mentioned a 25 year warranty, I just looked and it's OPTIONAL at the time of purchase which tells me its a insurance plan you have to buy.

From Centrals webpage, http://www.centralboiler.com/faq.html

How long is the warranty?
An optional 25 year limited warranty is available on outdoor wood furnaces that are registered at the time of purchase (includes a corrosion coverage). Central Boiler leads the industry with its commitment to stand behind its outdoor wood furnaces. 25 year warranty not available on Pallet Burner model.

Scott

The manufacturer is no longer responsible for the upkeep to meet EPA it would then be up to the owner. Some states have an anual emmissions check that ensures your car meets the current standard.
I don't live in any of those states , someone correct me if I am completely out of the ballpark on this one.

I agree that it is the owners responsibility to continue to ensure they meet the original emission standards, but it is very unreasonable to expect they continuously upgrade to ensure they meet all future standards. CT test's for auto emissions and they do not hold a 1978 auto to the same standards as a 2008 auto. I can only assume this theory would spill over to OWB's but I could be completely wrong as it does make too much sense for the government to buy into.

For the OP, I've read about people using propane tanks to make an OWB.

in our town, which i left out above, the ordinance says something almost the same.

they have even drafted ordinance on windmills.

Any Central customers I have heard from said that central's warranty is bogus.... You mentioned a 25 year warranty, I just looked and it's OPTIONAL at the time of purchase which tells me its a insurance plan you have to buy.

An optional 25 year limited warranty is available on outdoor wood furnaces that are registered at the time of purchase (includes a corrosion coverage). Central Boiler leads the industry with its commitment to stand behind its outdoor wood furnaces. 25 year warranty not available on Pallet Burner model.

Scott

ALL outdoor boilers warranty's suck!!!:censored: :censored: .....even if you do everything they say they will find some way of gettin' out of it if it get a crack and starts leakin' even if it's just over a year old...sorry back to buildin' boilers...

I wonder how close a good top down fire in an older OWB is to meeting the current EPA requirements ?

Very little smoke comes off of a top down. The smoke seems to be the major concern in particulate matter being released to the atmosphere. Lower smoke output would mean easirt to pass those emissions tests.

It would be interesting for a manufacturer to test a different approach to their burning method to get them to meet EPA regulations.

The fire starting method doesn't affect the smoke output after the fire is going. I light my fire in the fall and it doesn't go out til spring. What causes smoke in the OWB is if the wood being burnt isn't seasoned or is wet it will smoke quite a bit as well. After bout 2 hours of burning my stove doesn't smoke much.

Kyle

I am wanting to build my own outdoor wood furnave I want to heat my garage and proably heat the house also I want to build my own but looking for somewere I can download a set of plans for free somewere to make sure I want to get involved in this before I spend any money. 5,000 is just ay more than I have to spend to buy one built.
Thanks In advance

Where you at Bowtie?? I would guess it would be quite expensive to purchase steel but if you have a good source go for it. I'm assuming you have the basic tools...welder, torch, grinder and a good drill!! why couldn't you just copy a OWB from a manufacturer you like go to the dealer with a tape measure and a camera and start clicking away with the tape on the important dimensions, you can get alot of cross sectional views online, on how the inners are construted and function. There is a central boiler in Topeka, IN in a amish shop that is cut in half for the customer to view.

Scott

I haven't had to use the warranty, I just installed and fired up my CB5036 in September. But in order to get the 25 year warranty you just have to fill out the paperwork and send it in within 5 days of receiving the boiler. If you don't you get a 1 year warranty. I have no idea how well they cover them, don't know of anyone who tried to use it.

And in our town you have to be 100' away from your property line and in order to burn between June 1st and Sept. 15 you need a variance. I assume if you get a variance and a neighbor complains they make you shut it down for the summer.

Latest posts

Back