I am working on a stihl 025 I got from a member here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1981

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am working on a stihl 025 I got from a member here (Thanks B200driver) :) Started on it today. Tore it down completely and cleaned everything up. I am going to put a new P/C, fuel line, fuel filter in it, get a air filter cover and bar nuts for it too. Good chain brake, good spark plug, good gas and oil caps, good bar. P/C actually look fine but putting new in I dont have to worry for a long time.

Pictures so far.

before teardown.

3.jpg

1-1.jpg

starting teardown. got carb off.

2-1.jpg

completely dissassembled.

5-1.jpg

got it completely dissassembled in an hour. this is my first project saw, first complete dissassemble.

Looking to have it up and running next few weeks.

Saw looks really clean. What is the point of the teardown? Low compression or lean seized? Pay close attention to the carb boot and fuel lines.

This is Josh's first complete teardown. The P&C are scored unless the post man changed them on the way across town.

quick question everyone-

What is a carb boot? and why must there be close attention paid to it?

I found when I put together my ms200T back together i couldn't get fuel to throttle....told the boss I broke it and put it back together but couldn't find out how to fire it up....He sent the saw in and all they said I didn't put the carb in tight enough....WTF..thats it? I felt like a MONKEY>....

so does the carb boot have something to do with the seal of the carb?

quick question everyone-

I found when I put together my ms200T back together i couldn't get fuel to throttle....told the boss I broke it and put it back together but couldn't find out how to fire it up....He sent the saw in and all they said I didn't put the carb in tight enough....WTF..thats it? I felt like a MONKEY>....

The carb boot is the rubber manifold/tube that connects the carb to the cylinder, they crack or tear easily so check it very closely for damage, it will let air in and cause a lean condition that will melt your piston. The carb has to be sealed air tight to the cylinder,air leaks are the most common reason for piston failures followed closely by straight gass failures.
Pioneerguy600

quick question everyone-

Look at the last picture. You will see it still attached to the cylinder.

Thanks a ton guys for the response..

Really starting to understand the upper workings of a sthil saw (hands on first).

Sorry to jack the thread OP, but what is the best method of putting back the carb on? Clearly when I put mine back it it was wrong...

Didn't screw the nuts on the bots tight enough/equally?
didn't really sit the carb hard on the boot?
def not sure at all....

My rule of thumb is always double check my work if it doesn't work check what I had trouble with first time. Usually solves the problem.

Carb has to be snug against the boot and screwed down tight just like spark plug. Make sure all the connections are tight and put on right way.

As for the saw yea p/c scored carb is missing high idle screw. Can't wait to get it running. Should only take day or two.

Hey b200driver do you have any 70 plus cc saws I could work on next.

Latest posts

Back